BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go again the final drive went out again, the first at 28000 and this one at 90000. How can I complain I got twice as far as the first one. I guess this is GOD way of punishing me for I was going to trade it tomarrow for a GL1800. If anybody has a spare final drive I sure could us it, please e-mail me.

DON

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What year is your bike? Triker has one for sale but it's from a 2005. It is only compatible with the newer version drive that started in 2002.

The 2006 GL has so many new improvements. I would wait for that one anyway.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hey Don-

I'm so sorry to hear that you *broke your ride*! I feel your pain. :(

I would bet that a the part you need is easier to find, considering the reputation the rear end has in the BMW community. :p

We should start a pool with the board: Everyone buy odds and throws their money in a pot on whether your rear drive or my transmission comes in first. :D

Good luck, and I sure hope you win that bet, as I know how sunk I am.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
donsobeck said:
Well here we go again the final drive went out again, the first at 28000 and this one at 90000. How can I complain I got twice as far as the first one. I guess this is GOD way of punishing me for I was going to trade it tomarrow for a GL1800. If anybody has a spare final drive I sure could us it, please e-mail me.

DON

Hey, Don - I might have a lead on a used final drive. There is one in my storage unit, butt I'm not sure of the pricing. Also, the owner might have someone in line with dibs - I don't know.

Here's what to do. Contact Edgar Tanner by PM (eatanner) and start the dialogue with him - it belongs to him. I think he might be tied up in a rally this week-end, but I hope to see him Sunday at the latest. If you two haven't connected by then, I'll pass the info on to him.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
One cannot use a '02 or later final drive on an '01 or earlier. The later drives do not have the hole for the speed sensor.

I don't think the gears on the '05 are different. The transmission gears on the '05 are supposed to be cut different, but have not heard about any change in the final drive since the 17 ball bearing was started into production sometime late '02 or early '03.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Don. Let me know the outcome, & stop by with your new bike when that happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts