BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the archives and could only find that you refill to the bottom of the filler threads. What I could not find is whether the bike needs to be on the center stand or on the side stand when checking and filling the Final Drive.

Ready to change as soon as I know.

So..... center or side ? :confused:

Thanks guys.

Bill

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
KIC said:
I searched the archives and could only find that you refill to the bottom of the filler threads. What I could not find is whether the bike needs to be on the center stand or on the side stand when checking and filling the Final Drive.

Ready to change as soon as I know.

So..... center or side ? :confused:

Thanks guys.

Bill
Not sure what the booklet sez (mine's packed away temporarily), butt ole Toad has always been on the centerstand for 'all' the fluid changes. I believe it's recommended that way so as to not overfill. I hear overfilling the final drive could have adverse effects; and the same with the tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Me , I pack it in there , Top of the threads . Usually on the center stand , and a prop in the back to tip the bike forward , so I can get a little more in . I have done it this way on ever BMW I have owened ...( 10 so far ) . But that is just me ...But then.. I don't think it makes more that a half a mouth full difference either way (;>).

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I seem to remember the owners manual indicates how man ozs it takes.

Bob

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it done. From the look of the drain plug I will still be in the 96% lucky group :D . Best I could calculate out was it takes 7.8 oz +/-.

Old lube looked okay after 3,000 miles. :yeah:

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Bob, when we gonna do a tech/BBQ session around here ?

I say we rope Ron into it and let's get some stuff done. And after we eat we can work on the bikes too ! :D

Did you ever get your weep hole drilled?

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts