BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FD was leaking last fall, got it fixed and all was good.........for the next 2800 miles. FD leaking again. For those that understand these things, what should I be asking the shop when I take it back in for a warranty repair? What would cause the seals to go out again?

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am on my second Crown and Roller bearing in under 18,000 and 2 years from the dealership. When I dropped it off for warranty repair I stressed what I learned here (hope the preload and shimming is correct and didn't contribute to the failure). When I picked it up I asked if the same was checked and verified and it was even written in their notes. While this doesn't ensure it is done correctly, it does ensure we are both noting the same concern and that things happen, in this case another premature failure. Parts fail, if it is only a seal leaking then maybe the o-ring wasn't positioned correctly or rolled enough that under use would cause a leakage, several variables. Give them the chance to make it right and keep going.

At least you can ride it there... ;)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hey Brian, the half full perspective is that the warranty is still in effect!
and after they fix it again you should be good for another 2 years. Hope Steve checks real close for any metal chunks in the fluid when it's drained. That would prompt changing or re-building the FD. Assuming you are going to Portland MC that is.

John

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

Two years would be better than 6 months and 2800 miles! Haha. Not PMC. Ever since they argued with me about a drain plug on my GS FD and told me they had never ordered a particular bolt/nut that BMW Says need to be replaced every time it's removed I seriously question anything they say. The seal was done at Cheshire. Will be talking to them today about another fix. Will bring up metal flakes, preload and shimming.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Sit said:
FD was leaking last fall, got it fixed and all was good.........for the next 2800 miles. FD leaking again. For those that understand these things, what should I be asking the shop when I take it back in for a warranty repair? What would cause the seals to go out again?

Thanks
All replys so far are assuming it is your big seal at the wheel hub that is leaking.
Is that correct, or are you talking about the seal on the pinion shaft where oil would leak into the rubber boot at the driveshaft swing arm?

Oil leak at the wheel hub is a sometimes a sign of crownwheel bearing failure, but that is end stage bearing failure and you'd very likely notice other FD problems, but not everyone does.

Unusual for the seal to start leaking if the bearing is good and the surface of the hub where the seal rides is good. Corrosion or pitting on that surface would lead to seal leaking. Improper installation of the seal could also cause the seal to fail as early as you are reporting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, leaking into the boot for the second time. I have seen no oil on the rotor side if the FD. Last time since they were in there they replaced all seals ( I think )

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Sit said:
Yes, leaking into the boot for the second time. I have seen no oil on the rotor side if the FD. Last time since they were in there they replaced all seals ( I think )
Are you sure it is coming from the FD and not the transmission? That would suck, but it is something to verify.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, from the final, having been through this 6 months ago............I know. I also checked the final and it was low on oil, due to it being in the boot.

The good bit of news is the shop apologized for the issue, told me to bring it to them tomorrow and they will get right on it in order to replace the seal and more importantly determine why it failed. So, so far I am happy.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,114 Posts
The ring that holds that seal must also be "sealed" with a gasket compound. If not then it will leak past the threads.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Sit said:
Yup, from the final, having been through this 6 months ago............I know. I also checked the final and it was low on oil, due to it being in the boot.

The good bit of news is the shop apologized for the issue, told me to bring it to them tomorrow and they will get right on it in order to replace the seal and more importantly determine why it failed. So, so far I am happy.
Glad to hear it is not the tranny seal, and also that the shop will fix this for you.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I spoke too soon. They got the bike on the lift today and its the tranny seal this time!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$$$$$$ is right. I need to get a lift and just figure this shit out. The tech is a good guy, good shop, but dam, don't need to send his kids through medical school. Love the bike but this constant fixing shit on a bike with 30K miles on it is getting old. Hell, my truck is 10+ years old, 105K miles and the most its done is have the oil, brakes and tires done.

Need new front tire too since Avon piece of crap gave up the ghost after 2800 miles

Steering dampner is FUBAR

And tech is going to check some oil he saw in the bell housing. Thinks its blow back or splash from the tranny, but he is going to check. It had better not be the main. It was done before I bought the bike. If its gone out again, I am just going to freak. May be having a POS sale.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sit said:
And tech is going to check some oil he saw in the bell housing. .
what is he doing in the bellhousing?

did they remove the transmission to replace the output shaft seal?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to some of the folks here on the board and they talked me off the ledge, thanks John and Earnie. After seeking some advice, I called the shop and stopped the work. Picked up the bike up today along with the new tire. The tech said there was oil around the bell housing but they never got anything off of the bike other than plastic and rear sets (?) so not sure what he was talking about, but said there was oil around the bell housing, Wonder if he was talking about the outside, so thinkin he may have seen some oil from a recent oil change that I got sloppy with. I dont know. I plan on checking all the fluids and topping off as required. Put some dye in the final and then to watch what comes out later on. In the mean time, gonna ride, heck summer is sorta kind of finally here. Well for a day or so at least. Then at some point I will ask for some help from some guys here on the board to either do the work, with my help, or do a full blown tech day and dive into the thing and get what ever needs to be fixed fixed. As for the steering damper, got the bike home, rocked on the back wheel, slow turn of the front both ways, nothing. Quick turn both ways and I could feel the damper kick in, so I dont know what that was about either. Glad I didn't order one up!!

New front tire will go on and the warranty process with Avon will begin. See how that goes.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Sit said:
As for the steering damper, got the bike home, rocked on the back wheel, slow turn of the front both ways, nothing. Quick turn both ways and I could feel the damper kick in, so I dont know what that was about either. Glad I didn't order one up!!
The steering damper is in good shape. Let us know how the tech session/repair goes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will, when we get around to that point, I will try to get some photos and some non-mechanical observations of the job.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New tire on..........ah that feel, that new tire feel, nothing else in the world feels like that. I love the feel of a new tire in the morning..reminds me of ......oh sorry, flashback.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Reading through your posts is like, well, either the definition of a bipolar BMW owner, or one with a "normal" love-hate relationship. :histerica

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks John and Earnie, do you know how long it took us to get him to the ledge?
And yes he is bipolar, and having flashbacks to his childhood. lol :histerica

1 - 20 of 24 Posts