BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to add another final drive story, but reading others helped me be prepared for the possibility of failure so here we go..

At 52300+ miles it appears my final drive is going south. A few weeks ago while heading home I noticed increased vibration, actually vibrated one of my RS mirrors loose. I was about 2 hours from home so I babied the girl the rest of the way home by the time I got home I had a noticeable growl, not constant but occasionally while accelerating.

I got around to changing the final drive oil today to check the plug for metal and this is what I found...

Now the PO had bike serviced the fall before I purchased it so assuming they changed the final drive oil, which I did, and may be shouldn't have now that I see this, this pile of metal flakes is from about 4 thousand miles of riding.

So I'm going to pull the drive considering buying a used one from Ebay and getting this one rebuilt. From another post I found a link to Kevin Cook's instruction for drilling the slave cylinder weep hole here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...tachmentid=7023 and it looks pretty good step by step to getting the drive off. Are there any special tools I will need if I'm just pulling the drive? I don't trust my self for the rebuild.

Anyone out there still rebuilding these or should I head up to the BMW dealer in in Indy with it.

Thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dave selvig (saddle man) does it, charlievt does it, there might be a few others who rebuild them. You will need the 30 mm socket to remove the drive. Most tool places will carry the socket needed if you don't have one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does your 02 have the speedometer sensor in the drive? If not, I have a couple that could work for you at a good price. email me at [email protected]

Lowell

palarimer said:
I hate to add another final drive story, but reading others helped me be prepared for the possibility of failure so here we go..

At 52300+ miles it appears my final drive is going south. A few weeks ago while heading home I noticed increased vibration, actually vibrated one of my RS mirrors loose. I was about 2 hours from home so I babied the girl the rest of the way home by the time I got home I had a noticeable growl, not constant but occasionally while accelerating.

I got around to changing the final drive oil today to check the plug for metal and this is what I found...

Now the PO had bike serviced the fall before I purchased it so assuming they changed the final drive oil, which I did, and may be shouldn't have now that I see this, this pile of metal flakes is from about 4 thousand miles of riding.

So I'm going to pull the drive considering buying a used one from Ebay and getting this one rebuilt. From another post I found a link to Kevin Cook's instruction for drilling the slave cylinder weep hole here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...tachmentid=7023 and it looks pretty good step by step to getting the drive off. Are there any special tools I will need if I'm just pulling the drive? I don't trust my self for the rebuild.

Anyone out there still rebuilding these or should I head up to the BMW dealer in in Indy with it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Sorry to read of your troubles, that drain magnet looks like a "classic" crownwheel bearing failure.

Dave Selvig aka Saddleman would do an excellent job, I give him my highest endorsement.
(Hiya Dave :wave )

I'd be very cautious when going to a BMW service department, or other independent mechanic. Too often these FDs have been rebuild by someone who hasn't read the setup instructions in the service manual and just replaces the bearing. Proper measurements are needed to setup the bearing preload; the evidence is very good at this point that these "classic" crownwheel bearing failures are caused by improper (excessive) shimming. These rebuilds aren't really all that hard to do, but it takes time and understanding to do it correctly.

I've rebuilt more than 50 of these FDs, and much of our understanding of the causes of failure comes from my examination of failed bearing in different stages of degradation, and input from mechanical engineers who have been kind enough to share their insights on this board.

I still do rebuilds, but I don't give away my labor like I did when I first started doing 'em. I change a flat rate $400 for a new crownwheel bearing, seal, shim(s) as needed, proper preload setup, and return shipping. That's assuming no other problems are found inside the drive; there can be but it is uncommon.
My rebuilds have a lifetime warranty, your life or mine, which ever comes first. :histerica
New swingarm pivot bearings installed, add $100 which is basically the cost of the bearings.
Turn around time is pretty quick and I can usually get 'em done in a day and shipped the next day.

You probably don't need to buy a replacement drive, just fix the one you have. If you're going to do the weep hole, you could have the FD rebuild while you work on the weep hole project.

Send me a Private Message on this board if you are interested.

Addendum: No special tools required for FD removal. I can loan the cutout socket, shipped with the repaired FD, for torquing the pivot bearing pins for reinstalling the FD.

palarimer said:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CharlieVT said:
Sorry to read of your troubles, that drain magnet looks like a "classic" crownwheel bearing failure.
I still do rebuilds, but I don't give away my labor like I did when I first started doing 'em. I change a flat rate $400 for a new crownwheel bearing, seal, shim(s) as needed, proper preload setup, and return shipping. That's assuming no other problems are found inside the drive; there can be but it is uncommon.

My rebuilds have a lifetime warranty, your life or mine, which ever comes first. :histerica

Since I don't know when you were born I have no reference as to what the value of your lifetime warranty is, but I'll take a chance. I'll work at getting the drive off this week and PM you you for shipping information. I appreciate the loan of the Cutout socket too...

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Hey Preston - VERY smart move on your decision to have Curtis do the FD surgery.
When you get that unit re-installed on your scoot, you can turn off your FD worry button when it comes 'sidestand up' time!!
Best always.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts