BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want store start an oil type war here, just a simple answer will do...

I see may manual for the LT 2002 states Hypoid 90 final drive fluid, is the synthetic vatiety, ie:Amasoil the same number (hypoid 90) as the organic stuff ?

Thanks Ron

·
Banned
588 Posts
Not sure I completely understand your question. All gear lube that I know of is organic. Some is traditional/conventional petroleum based gear lube, some is synthetic petroleum based, and some is synthetic chemical base. All may be used that meet the recommendations listed in your owners manual. Many prefer synthetic chemical base such as Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 in this application.

My 2006 K1200LT manual says "Transmission oil - Brand-name hypoid gear oil, API class GL5. Rear wheel drive viscosity class Castrol EPX 90, or SAE 90 API"

Does that help answer your question?

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Can Tire can help you

itspossible said:
Don't want store start an oil type war here, just a simple answer will do...

I see may manual for the LT 2002 states Hypoid 90 final drive fluid, is the synthetic vatiety, ie:Amasoil the same number (hypoid 90) as the organic stuff ?

Thanks Ron

Hi Ron,
I use Motomaster Synthetic 75/90 Gear Oil in my '02 Final drive -- same for Transmission by the way. You'll find it at Can Tire like I did.
Works great.
Keir

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Yea...what they said.. And don't worry about which kind you use 'cause BMW Final Drives are pretty much bulletproof anyway. :histerica

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Yea...what they said.. And don't worry about which kind you use 'cause BMW Final Drives are pretty much bulletproof anyway. :histerica

Now there some great humour. :rotf: Must get offline and to bed on that note.
Have a weekend guys !
K

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use 80/90 ****** in my 02. I make no claims in regards to ****** but it has worked well for me

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Keir / Tim

good one Jack, lets hope so.

I'm probably over thinking this as it is.

Ron

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Clymer manual for my bike (2003) says to use 90W. But the dealership told me that they use a synthetic and sold me 75W140. Am I confused? You bet. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
BMW ON article says 90 w only. Big article there to read. They really were making the point on 90w.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, LAF, what is BMW ON and where can I read what you reference?

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Lare said:
Pardon my ignorance, LAF, what is BMW ON and where can I read what you reference?
It is the magazine you receive with Membership to BMWMOA. It is BMW Owner News. In January 2007 in the section Bits and Pieces written by Paul Glaves. He emphatically states that NO ONE from BMW, or any other source could produce a document that says to use anything other then 75w90 gear oil. And that includes 2 service bulletin concerning Final Drives where it implicitly says 75w90 from BMW.

So I will use 75-90 in the FD and 75w140 in the tranny. I personally do not think it is a lube issue with these drives as the poll shows all the failures here on BMWLT and what oil was being run, it really don't mean squat, it is the FD not the lube.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My thoughts - Lube variations might affect FD gear lives, but won't do much to reduce those stresses which start fatigue spalling in the crown bearing races. However the major variations in field bearing race and ball lives could suggest there is a preload variation issue.

I agree that our warranty is only a limited warranty, and the cost of extended warranty replacement is probably excessive, but the company reputation is seriously at stake here.

Forget the lawyers. If this was my BMW engineer-this-to-fix-it-at-minimum-cost problem, I'd try to find and exchange ten hi-mileage field units with each say 100,000 failure-free miles on them, disassemble them & then measure the actual preloads of those units. A service bulletin would at least help reduce the number of repeated failures.

·
Registered
989 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
I am still laughing!

·
Registered
698 Posts
RealWing said:
The Service Manual CDROM states that 75w140 synthetic (Castrol) should be used.
I'm from Missouri. You'll have to show me in the CDROM where BMW says to use 75w140 in the rear drive. Your link only goes to a oil analysis report. If you can find it again you might want to send a copy to Paul Glaves also.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
McAllister said:
I'm from Missouri. You'll have to show me in the CDROM where BMW says to use 75w140 in the rear drive. Your link only goes to a oil analysis report. If you can find it again you might want to send a copy to Paul Glaves also.
The 05 and up CDROM (RepROM) does state 75w140 for rear drive and I sent a copy of that to Paul Glaves along with the 05 owners manual that states Castrol SAF-XO for the rear drive which is a european marketed 75w90. Still conflicting specifications.

However, I have been and will continue to run 75w140 as I am not convinced it is a viscosity issue (Paul is now looking at the diameter variances of the crown gear where the bearing mates up as a possible cause of failure) and as long it is cold out I am running 75w anyway.;)

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
jzeiler said:
The 05 and up CDROM (RepROM) does state 75w140 for rear drive and I sent a copy of that to Paul Glaves along with the 05 owners manual that states Castrol SAF-XO for the rear drive which is a european marketed 75w90. Still conflicting specifications.

However, I have been and will continue to run 75w140 as I am not convinced it is a viscosity issue (Paul is now looking at the diameter variances of the crown gear where the bearing mates up as a possible cause of failure) and as long it is cold out I am running 75w anyway.;)
He also notes differences in bearing style, and early and late FD tolerances and the amount of pre-load of each.

It really is a good article to read if one has the chance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts