BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure again if this has been posted but I just finished replacing my final drive fluid and thought I'd pass on how I accomplished it.
I have the JVB video but there are flaws for the 2011-2012 RT in the video. The fill plug is a 6mm hex not a 5mm as stated on the video and you do not need to remove the rear wheel to fill the final drive. Here is how I did it.
Removed drain plug and drained into clean container.
Cleaned magnetic drain plug and reinstalled.
Using a 6mm allen wrench, position the rear wheel to facilitate getting the allen into the fill plug. The plug might be tight but once it breaks loose you can remove it by hand easily.

Now this is where it gets tricky. I purchased a meat tenderizer injector at Kmart. Cost about $5. It looks just like a syringe but the needle has two opening along the shaft. I cut this off so it had only the end opening. This syringe for better wording has a ML scale on the outside up to 30ML. Obviously the final takes 180ml so it requires refills 6 times to get the appropriate quantity in the FD. I unscrewed the plunger end, filled with gear lube (while keeping a finger over the needle end), reattached the plunger and from the left side of the wheel guided the needle into the fill hole. The only hard part is remembering how many times you've refilled the syringe :D
Once you have all 180ml injected in, reinstall fill plug and you are done.

Took me around 45 minutes but in all likelihood this is about a 20 minute job. Obviously not having the right size allen to begin with resulted in some lost time, and modifying the syringe and trying a couple other options. You could actually attach a small clear rubber hose to the syringe but I found the needle went in nicely and far enough back so as to not get any leakage back.

Hope this helps someone....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
One important tip is to replace BOTH aluminum crush washers at least every-other change. If not you will tend to over torque the plugs to stop leakage and will strip the female threads. You can get a bunch online for 10.00 or so..

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I like to take the wheel off just to inspect things. Some people like to remove the ABS sensor to clean off any ferrometalic shavings. If you go to beemer boneyard, they sell all the washers and o-rings necessary to do this. I ordered a couple sets myself and I also ordered the This.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Teach, I'm getting ready to do my first O/F and FD fluid change, and would appreciate knowing what FD lube you used and where you purchased it. Seem dealers want $25-30.00 for 180ml, which seems like hiway robbery. Your info would be greatly appreciated. tomp/ dd50

·
Registered
747 Posts
A calibrated syringe makes the best tool and you can get them bigger than 30 ml. Try vet places, ag stores, hardware places, etc.
I've got a bunch of 60 ml ones from a previous lab job but there are larger ones made. Can cut those 6 shots from 30 ml down to 3 or even 2 using 60 ml or 100 ml types..
There are some glass 250 ml syringes made that would allow 1 shot but they're not cheap. Haven't seen any disposables that large and don't know if they're made..

·
Registered
550 Posts
The reason for no easy access is obvious. How could dealers charge what they do for the 600 mi service if it appeared easy to accomplish? Oh, if they did offer an easy access, it would be a $750.00 option, installed automatically to all RT's...I'll be doing my own 600 mile service next weekend, and saving around $275.xx. tomp dd50

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok someone asked about where and what FD fluid I used. I used a full synthetic Castrol 75w/90 which I purchased at my local Autozone store. Same stuff BMW dealer sell but I believe it cost me $10.
Now with that said you can use ANY 75w/90 gear lube in your final drive and it won't void your warranty. So iffin you like Mobil or some other use it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:cool: Hi all;
I had a misting problem with my FD and fixed by just switching to a different fliud.
I have an 04 1150RT; rebuilt FD by Charlie that failed on me in the 09 IBR at 100k mi, been fine since save for recently (past yr) it "pucking"/ misting out the breather. I talked to Charlie about it and did overfill once by turning the wheel/ gears and added a little more. But next change carefully measured the right amount, changed the O-ring and sponge to no avail - was still oiling up my rear end after 200-300 mi. I was using Bel-Ray 80/90W gear oil.
My local BMW dealer sold me recommended fluid which is 75/140W Motorrad Super Synthetic GL-5 gear oil - $23, but my problem disappeared. I just did a two day rally in NV recently where I did 3+k mi in 4 days counting there and back home, some if it triple digit speeds on some lonely NV hwys and not a sign of misting. Couldn't be happier and I don't look at it as expensive as a quart will last many years due to the small amt used to change the FD.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
dbiasotti said:
:cool: Hi all;
I had a misting problem with my FD and fixed by just switching to a different fliud.
I have an 04 1150RT; rebuilt FD by Charlie that failed on me in the 09 IBR at 100k mi, been fine since save for recently (past yr) it "pucking"/ misting out the breather. I talked to Charlie about it and did overfill once by turning the wheel/ gears and added a little more. But next change carefully measured the right amount, changed the O-ring and sponge to no avail - was still oiling up my rear end after 200-300 mi. I was using Bel-Ray 80/90W gear oil.
My local BMW dealer sold me recommended fluid which is 75/140W Motorrad Super Synthetic GL-5 gear oil - $23, but my problem disappeared. I just did a two day rally in NV recently where I did 3+k mi in 4 days counting there and back home, some if it triple digit speeds on some lonely NV hwys and not a sign of misting. Couldn't be happier and I don't look at it as expensive as a quart will last many years due to the small amt used to change the FD.
75/140 is much heavier than the 80/90 so you will get less evaporation or 'misting'

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You would think the BMW certified technician would know how to properly service the Final drive on my 2012 RT. I took it in for the first 600 mile servicing last September. This is suppose to be a critical or very important service. The Final Drive break-in fluid needs to be drained out and serviced. This was done at 680 miles. I currently have 4,188 miles. I just received a magnetic drain plug (Dimple Brand). I decided to install it. So I drained the fluid into a calibrated container. BTW: You do not need to remove the wheel to do this. A 6mm angled hex wrench will fit and loosen the fill plug. So after I drained the fluid into the cup I noticed that there was about 260 ml of oil that drained out. I thought something was not right when I first removed the fill plug and oil started oozing out. I was right. So much for using the service manual for proper maintenance. 180 ml is the proper quantity and the idiot dealership technician obviously filled it to the top of the fill hole. About 80 ml over the MAX limit. Good thing I have a vented final drive. It probably saved my Final Drive from blowing a seal or even worse damage. Do not assume the dealership does it right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
6speedTi said:
You would think the BMW certified technician would know how to properly service the Final drive on my 2012 RT. I took it in for the first 600 mile servicing last September. This is suppose to be a critical or very important service. The Final Drive break-in fluid needs to be drained out and serviced. This was done at 680 miles. I currently have 4,188 miles. I just received a magnetic drain plug (Dimple Brand). I decided to install it. So I drained the fluid into a calibrated container. BTW: You do not need to remove the wheel to do this. A 6mm angled hex wrench will fit and loosen the fill plug. So after I drained the fluid into the cup I noticed that there was about 260 ml of oil that drained out. I thought something was not right when I first removed the fill plug and oil started oozing out. I was right. So much for using the service manual for proper maintenance. 180 ml is the proper quantity and the idiot dealership technician obviously filled it to the top of the fill hole. About 80 ml over the MAX limit. Good thing I have a vented final drive. It probably saved my Final Drive from blowing a seal or even worse damage. Do not assume the dealership does it right.
. This morning I called BMW motorad and filed a complaint. This complaint goes to the dealer in question. Not much of a course of action but at least it is on record.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts