BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby here, I have a 2002 LT, I bought it about 2 months ago with 13,500 miles on it. It now has about 15,500 miles on it and the final drive crapped out just outside of Nashville, I live in York, PA. I had the oil in the final drive changed at Trans Am cycles in Lititz just prior to the trip. When it went bad I at first thought I was getting a flat tire, but when I pulled over to check I saw the oil dripping on the back wheel.

So my question is do I pull the final drive myself and send it to someone on the list to have it rebuilt, or take my chances with the dealer? I'm not afraid to pull it myself as I have done all the maintenance on my 2000 Concours myself. I have to take a trailer and pick up the bike this coming weekend.

TIA
Wes

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The dealers may not always get the preload set properly and this will just cause the rebuilt FD to fail. My '05 had a FD failure before I bought it. Failure was at 12,600 miles. Previous owner had it rebuilt at a dealership in the northeast. I bought it with 12,900 miles and had it checked by Saddleman. There were 2 shims. Dave found that we didn't need the thinner of the 2. He thought the factory installed 2 shims when the drive was originally built and the dealership that rebuilt it just put them back. We pulled the FD a couple weeks ago just to check the preload. It was still good. Mileage is 25,500.

You'd probably be better off having one of the members here rebuild your FD. JM2CW

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would look real close at an ad currently posted in our own Classified Forum here. Curtis is a well known member who has done many FD rebuilds, and he is not that far away!

And welcome to our little corner of the Web! :)

John
Lee510 said:
The dealers may not always get the preload set properly and this will just cause the rebuilt FD to fail. My '05 had a FD failure before I bought it. Failure was at 12,600 miles. Previous owner had it rebuilt at a dealership in the northeast. I bought it with 12,900 miles and had it checked by Saddleman. There were 2 shims. Dave found that we didn't need the thinner of the 2. He thought the factory installed 2 shims when the drive was originally built and the dealership that rebuilt it just put them back. We pulled the FD a couple weeks ago just to check the preload. It was still good. Mileage is 25,500.

You'd probably be better off having one of the members here rebuild your FD. JM2CW

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
If you are stuck in Nashville, TN I have a loner drive I could bring up and install to get you on your way. I can also rebuild your old one (if it is not too bad) and send it to you later.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have a 02 FD Zero miles since rebuild by Hermys bmw port clinton pa. They do it rite.

$450.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
jzeiler said:
If you are stuck in Nashville, TN I have a loner drive I could bring up and install to get you on your way. I can also rebuild your old one (if it is not too bad) and send it to you later.

Wow, you can't ask for better help than that.

I vote for John Z. :thumb:
You can't get better help than his.
I just go home from Maine and found this thread.

John, I sent the original poster a PM with a resounding endorsement of you. :)

Thanks and warm regards from the Deep South of Vermont.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, I'm not stuck in TN, but the bike is, it is stored at a place called Steel Riders Cycles in Lebanon, TN. I was planning on trailering the bike home, but if we could work something out, maybe I could fly down and ride it home. I was planning on picking it up Saturday morning.
Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Geez John! If you are going to loan him a drive and install it for him don't you think the least you could do is buy him dinner too? Maybe breakfast if you work on the bike all night and don't quite have it finished by morning?

You continue to amaze me with your generosity.

Loren

jzeiler said:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have an affinity for steak, t-bone or steak and eggs, I'm not too particular. :D
You guys are too much!
Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
All you likely need is a new bearing and seal...

When you get it apart.. Throw away the thinnest of the shims....

Betcha it'll be a lot closer than BMW got it..

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Wes,

I answered your PM and I am only 100 miles from Lebanon so that is an easy drive. Lets shoot for Saturday morning. Contact the Bike shop and see what time they open. Another possibility is to go up, pull your drive bring it home and rebuild it. Then re-install it the following week. (I the bike shop will let me do it). If not I have a trailer I could go get it. Lots of possibilities here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts