BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 21,640 miles on the 08 GT and yesterday on the way to the store the rear end started getting loose and moving around. I had oil all over the rear tire and wheel. Luckily, I was on a flat straight road when it went. If I had been cornering the bike I probably would have went down due to the oil on the rear tire. Had the bike towed to the dealer. I am waiting for the final word from them as to the cause of the oil. When I tried to move the rear tire it moved just slightly from side to side, not much, but more then is normal.

To me this is also a safety issue. Two days prior my wife and I were on a day ride in northern California through some pretty mountain areas. If it would have happened in the twisties with two of us aboard I have no doubt we would have gone down due to the oil on the rear tire. My understanding is that BWM extended the Final Drive warranty but does not admit there is a problem with the drive. I am surprised someone has not gone down due to a Final Drive failure. It's a great M/C in a lot of ways. But as of right now I am not sure if I will ever get another BWM M/C. This is my second, first one was an LT, and probably my last. FJR or Gold Wing are starting to look better, it is really too bad.

When I get an accurate assessment from the dealer I will repost with more accurate info.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok now I'm on the fence GT ? RT ? C14?

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Read this then get back to me. And this is coming from someone who's had two final drive failures on my '07 GT. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
meese said:
Read this then get back to me. And this is coming from someone who's had two final drive failures on my '07 GT. :cool:
See? That is what really Yanks my Crank. They ABSOLUTELY have it right EXCEPT this Final Drive Issue.

For F---S Sake, go to a belt or chain and call it a day! You would then have the best bike on the market.

Or, Brain Fart, FIX the manufacturing/design flaw. Damn I get so pissed on this issue which really is the Energizer Bunny of Bad Raps on BMW.

I am even more concerned on BMW moving even more manufacturing off shore to defray costs. I have enough to run my LT for a few years and enjoy doing my own maintenance, however I am pretty sure that when I get a bug for a new bike either because I get tired of doing so much maintenance, a catastrophic disaster, or something else just blows my skirt up, I am pretty positive it wont be a BMW.

And not only for the FD, but inexcusable seal failures, and as they move off shore I don't think this makes them German engineering any longer and puts them into the "Jap" class and are therefore not the best buy for the dollar.

I DO love my LT and it puts a smile on my face EVERY time I ride it. And it has given me 21,000 trouble free miles since September of 07. I need to get the Slave drilled and will feel a bit better on preserving it's years.

BUT on the depreciation hit I took, and the amount of money I have in it I will never sell it.
I will fix it and ride it as I have the major parts in stock, FD, seals, Clutch parts. Yes I am a Pessimist (that glass is half empty no matter how the hell you look at it) but I will keep it to I die.

I just don't think they are worth the money any longer when for 14-18 grand you can get a "Jap" bike that is more reliable, more dealers, will fix their design flaws, and are less expensive and easier to maintain.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Beemerider said:
Ya' mean BMW finally won one'o these? Congrats! :rotf:
Sort of. They start out by saying “there’s no clear loser” and “thin margin between them… just pick a color… buy the one you like, you can’t go wrong.”

And even though they could hardly find fault with the GT (riders or passenger) and they concluded with "Objectively the BMW is the clear winner to us" they still had to ding it on price, even though they said it was worth it.

Oh well, I know what bike fits me, and I've ridden them all. Now if just didn't feel the need to carry a spare final drive, the bike would be almost perfect.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mfg'ing off shore doesn't bother me. It's the Designing or lack of redesigning it on shore that's the problem.

LAF said:
See? That is what really Yanks my Crank. They ABSOLUTELY have it right EXCEPT this Final Drive Issue.

For F---S Sake, go to a belt or chain and call it a day! You would then have the best bike on the market.

Or, Brain Fart, FIX the manufacturing/design flaw. Damn I get so pissed on this issue which really is the Energizer Bunny of Bad Raps on BMW.

I am even more concerned on BMW moving even more manufacturing off shore to defray costs. I have enough to run my LT for a few years and enjoy doing my own maintenance, however I am pretty sure that when I get a bug for a new bike either because I get tired of doing so much maintenance, a catastrophic disaster, or something else just blows my skirt up, I am pretty positive it wont be a BMW.

And not only for the FD, but inexcusable seal failures, and as they move off shore I don't think this makes them German engineering any longer and puts them into the "Jap" class and are therefore not the best buy for the dollar.

I DO love my LT and it puts a smile on my face EVERY time I ride it. And it has given me 21,000 trouble free miles since September of 07. I need to get the Slave drilled and will feel a bit better on preserving it's years.

BUT on the depreciation hit I took, and the amount of money I have in it I will never sell it.
I will fix it and ride it as I have the major parts in stock, FD, seals, Clutch parts. Yes I am a Pessimist (that glass is half empty no matter how the hell you look at it) but I will keep it to I die.

I just don't think they are worth the money any longer when for 14-18 grand you can get a "Jap" bike that is more reliable, more dealers, will fix their design flaws, and are less expensive and easier to maintain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
LAF said:
So, what's the verdict on the 1300's final drives? How many have failed so far? Hopefully there'll be a few competing in this year's Iron Butt Rally, which seems to be a pretty good proving ground.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
No K1300GT's in the IBR this year, but there will be four K1200GT's running, including mine.

Unless someone wants to loan me a K13 for a couple of weeks . . . ;)

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
meese said:
No K1300GT's in the IBR this year, but there will be four K1200GT's running, including mine.

Unless someone wants to loan me a K13 for a couple of weeks . . . ;)
Hey - some people tried to get you that K1300GT. I guess it didn't work out...

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Hey - some people tried to get you that K1300GT. I guess it didn't work out...
That's OK. With my luck, I would have ended up with one of David Taylor's rejects . . . :histerica

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Final Drive Failure? Update

Talked with the dealer today. Evidently the output seal on the final drive went out which was allowing the oil to leak out onto the rear end. They said it was a matter of replacing the seal and a shim and cleaning the bike up, new break pads. They checked the rear end and there was no damage to the gearing or other parts. Soooo, should have it back in a day or so and then I'll de on a trip to Boise and northern Idaho and maybe Montana. We will see how the final drive does.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Picked up a new 09 GT yesterday,, lots of questions

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ok, I'm going to jinx myself here, but 48.5K on my '06 and no issues with anything ..............YET.

·
Registered
262 Posts
AttackPug said:
Picked up a new 09 GT yesterday,, lots of questions

:thumb: Excellent now post a picture or it didn't happen :)

·
Registered
93 Posts

The Bavarian Cruise Missle

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
LAF said:

Heck, it wouldn't even take all that. Just go back to the double-sided swing arm design from the early airheads. My FJR FD is damn near an exact copy of that bullet-proof design and it's really no harder for me to pop the rear wheel of the Feejr than it was my LT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here's my question about the FD:

There is no official maintenance schedule other than replacing the FD oil at 600 miles and then every 12K miles..

So... what about the bearings? I really like this bike. I had a day long test ride on it and want to buy it, but no one can tell me when you're supposed to do preventative maintenance on the final drive. :confused:

I like it better than the FJR, but if I can't get a clear answer, I may just get the FJR.

As for the above comment regarding a single sided swingarm, you may be right, but on the other hand, the Honda Goldwing has a single sided swingarm and I haven't heard of any FD issues with it and it's a much heavier bike to boot.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Regarding the final drive service:

On my RT - I did it every oil change

On my GT - I plan to do it on every oil change

I also had a Goldwing and did it every oil change.

It's 180 cc's of fluid..... on the new GT the drain is at the bottom.

And there is always warranty.

The ultimate decison is yours

1 - 20 of 22 Posts