BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wondered what the symptoms of impending doom were as I have developed an unusual noise on my 17,000 mile 05 RT during my recent European trip.

The noise I noticed was around 50-60 mph and sounded a bit like wheel bearing wear with a kind of cyclic 'whao whao whao' noise (hard to 'spell' noises!!). It was not apparent at lower speeds or higher speeds (but then everything is noisy at high speed!).
It hasn't got any worse but I am still concerned.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I haven't had one fail yet, so I don't know. I was just reading about vibration into the foot pegs as a symptom. I am looking to know if anything goes wrong with mine.
And use of a stethoscope. I suppose that would be used with the bike on the center stand and rotating the rear wheel.
dc

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I have never had one fail so I must try to rely on a failing memory of earlier posts...

Look for unusual oil leaking at your final drive. Look all over, top/bottom/both sides.

was the cyclic noise speed dependent? Meaning did it vary with your speed... or did it vary with RPM... which might be different. Did it go away with a clutch pull while the bike was in motion?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
You really should drain the drive and look for anything shiny in the fluid. Tell tale sign, bad sign.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, i'll drain the lube and check at the weekend.
The noise was still there with clutch in and only seemed apparent in that particular speed range.
I'm hoping it's just tyre wear or balance maybe after 'slabbing it' on the motorways for 2000 miles.

I have a Ford Mondeo which displayed exactly the same sort of noise and that turned out to be 'scalloped' tyres on the rear.

Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly doesn't sound like that Tony!

Wheel revolves silently on centre stand. Also runs quietly at 50mph on centre stand.
No discernable play in wheel, no sign of leaking lube.

If nothing shows after oil change, i'll get another tyre fitted and see what that does.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Miggs said:
Certainly doesn't sound like that Tony!

Wheel revolves silently on centre stand. Also runs quietly at 50mph on centre stand.
No discernable play in wheel, no sign of leaking lube.

If nothing shows after oil change, i'll get another tyre fitted and see what that does.

Thanks.
If the bike doesn't make the noise on the center stand, then I wouldn't borrow to check/change fluid. You've already mentioned it's similar to a sound you experienced w/ a car tire, so I'd be looking there with the fact it's quiet on the center stand.

If there's issues w/ the final drive, you should be able to "feel" it- just like there was noise w/ the one in the youtube example, that one was w/ the guy pushing it in neutral.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Miggs
Just out of interest what tyres are you running.
Sticking my neck out here but Ive re-built several diffs" albeit car related (Jag xjs) and Ive never known one to exhibit such speed related issues, ie your diff is dead or its not theres not too much room for ambiguity, and the noise would be noticable at a wide speed range.
With the state of our roads here in the Uk at the mo` I find road noise virtually impossible to issolate.
10 miles on M1 in virtual silence followed by 5 miles of noise just on slight change of tarmac makes it a complete lottery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts