BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

101 - 120 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ben1364 said:
I think the 3 to 4% failure rate has been pretty well established as accurate. I am as embarrassed for BMW as I am upset with the company for not taking steps to correct the problem.

Whether or not you agree, you are likely aware that BMW had a smaller percentage of bikes in the IBR this year than in the past; that at one FD has already failed and that 4 (?) failed in the most recent past IBR. You may also know that at least a couple BMW riders in the 2009 IBR are carrying spare FD units.

None of the above should be interpreted to indicate that I do not like BMWs...
I try to keep shut up with too much opinion about this final drive crap, and ya know I like my bike.

But it is the attitude of others that think there is no problem, the moco ignores it and/or they (the moco and people with those type reponse)

Maybe they just don't care, and more so the attitude like this gent shows here with him laughing at the owners that have taken the time to fill out a survey, one he thinks may be (how could I say this nicely) heck I can't so I'll just put in his comment

"Great credibility when the survey is done by BMW owners with FD problems"

has he said this because he thinks they are lieing?

here is another for him to laugh at then http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/index.html

anyhow, it is probably because it has not happened to them , or they don't travel out in the middle of no where land so they don;t care, whatever the reason, I just have to laugh when I hear them......

ya know what is the real bad thing about all this, there are dealers losing long time good customers that have all their work done at the shop because of one silly assed problem, final drive failures, there lies the real problem, people that have put out all their money, setup a shop because they love it, and now they have a company that will not fix a real issue over several completely different models

my dealer has our loyalty. But BMW MoCo better do something! and do it soon!

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
petepeterson said:
Great credibility when the survey is done by BMW owners with FD problems....

There are so many BMW's out there on the road that have NEVER had any type of FD problem that it makes one laugh at this 4% B.S......None of you and that includes you intellectual giants can produce documents from any firm to validate your 4%..... :rolleyes: .......

Really,,, If you don't like the bike get one you do like and spend your time on a forum that supports your views.... But your continually bad mouthing different little parts for years at a time with "NO" backup evidence at all... This board is for mainly positive thoughts and positive stories.... All this mainly made up B.S. gets old after a few years................. :p Go ride
Sorry my friend, you're simply wrong.

We have valid and verifiable reason to use that 4% number. We were told in 2002 that approximately 4% of LTs sold to that point had been subject to a warranty repair on the FD. Told by a BMWNA representative face-to-face. Does that mean 4% of all FDs on all BMWs fail? No. But is it a reasonable measure of at least early-LT FD failures? Damn right it is.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I am afraid you are wrong in stating that this forum is for just posting the positive aspects of LT ownership! There is nothing wrong with folks posting their problems with the LT on this Forum. In fact, it is through reading of other folks problems that we are often able to prevent a recurrence of that problem with our own Bike!

And your argument that the 4% is an incorrect figure cannot be proven any more than that claim can be proven. Certainly there are many who do not bother posting that their Final Drive has not yet failed, but where is the news in that? How many LT owners have possibly experienced a Final Drive failure and not posted it here? No way of knowing that either.

The bottom line is that it serves no purpose to flame folks for posting their problems with the LT and their dis-satisfaction with BMW's lack of acknowledgement on this very real problem. For your info I have had two Final Drive failures and think they suck, but still love the LT!

From a former Marine, Semper Fi!

John
petepeterson said:
Great credibility when the survey is done by BMW owners with FD problems....

There are so many BMW's out there on the road that have NEVER had any type of FD problem that it makes one laugh at this 4% B.S......None of you and that includes you intellectual giants can produce documents from any firm to validate your 4%..... :rolleyes: .......

Really,,, If you don't like the bike get one you do like and spend your time on a forum that supports your views.... But your continually bad mouthing different little parts for years at a time with "NO" backup evidence at all... This board is for mainly positive thoughts and positive stories.... All this mainly made up B.S. gets old after a few years................. :p Go ride

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
longshadow said:
So whats the cost to repair a 2001 k1200lt?

here it is 8 years after I purchase my K1200Lt new already, I miss that bike, should had \never sold it, even wiht it's 154k miles on it and one final drive, then even dumber yet, was the the fact I had the chance to buy it back for half of what I sold it for with like 157k miles on it, and did not buyh it back!!!!

oh, you asked how much for a final drive?

buy used........... or call BMW Atlanta for a price on new. , or rubber chicken racing garage and have Tom Cutter rebuild it (really, he is really good with them)

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
longshadow said:
Need help in change crown wheel bearing. Kind anybody have me some advice?
From Curtis (CharlieVT)

You can't purchase it.
Amended: there is not yet a "latest video". There is an update in the works, not telling when it will be completed. The original and only one is on this server.

You can probably get it here on this site if the link still works:
Try this:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41063
or this
http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv

There are a few things I would change or add to in the video. The first of which is that is it not necessary to heat the cover to remove it from the drive housing.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I still Love my LT .But I just lost #3.This time I have to replace the FD complete.Both bearings failed the one on the shaft fell off after it spun and ruined the shaft. Than the stars I had a extra FD. They want $1700 for complete FD. Jim

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Jriverside said:
I still Love my LT .But I just lost #3.This time I have to replace the FD complete.Both bearings failed the one on the shaft fell off after it spun and ruined the shaft. Than the stars I had a extra FD. They want $1700 for complete FD. Jim

soon,people will be parting out what is left of the lt after a final drive fail's as many will not be willing to out 1700 in a older mc (think 99's value now)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi

I just joined the club last night, 2 miles from home...sure sounded like a bearing failure. This morning, with it up on the center stand, spun rear wheel, and it didn't sound as smooth as it did 1500 miles ago. FD oil was clean then. Then went to drain oil to take a peek, and see the drips rolling down the side of the tire. Oil very dark, with shiny talcum-powder stuck to the drain plug magnet. 91,500 miles on a 2001 LT.

Downloaded CharlieVT's video, gonna pop some popcorn tonight and watch to see if I'd feel comfortable enough doing the job, or should I find someone to it for me.

Is there a "I'm a 4%er" tee shirt?

·
Registered
109 Posts
lost my final drive over the weekend. thankfully only about 5 miles from home and able to limp back. Made a hell of a noise and then a grinding sound and vibration that was what I will call rotational. It came and went constantly. pulled it in the garage and oil is on the sidewall.

2001 mfg 06/00 about 100 miles short of 80K. bought the bike with 70k, changed oil when bought and again at 76k with no signs of metal on the plug. not sure of any previous history.

any ideas of a rebuild cost? probably want to send it to one of the guys that are doing the rebuilds and not a dealer.

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
JTEC said:
lost my final drive over the weekend. thankfully only about 5 miles from home and able to limp back. Made a hell of a noise and then a grinding sound and vibration that was what I will call rotational. It came and went constantly. pulled it in the garage and oil is on the sidewall.

2001 mfg 06/00 about 100 miles short of 80K. bought the bike with 70k, changed oil when bought and again at 76k with no signs of metal on the plug. not sure of any previous history.

any ideas of a rebuild cost? probably want to send it to one of the guys that are doing the rebuilds and not a dealer.

Thanks
Al
Hi Al,
sorry to hear of your troubles.
PM sent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After having the FD from my 1999 rebuilt for the 3rd time by the dealer in 105k km (65k miles) I find that the oil is still contaminated with grit on the magnet after dumping it twice in the first 1000 km after the rebuild.
I will get the dealer to redo the job but wonder if I would not be better off with a swap unit or with some help from you out there.
I looked at Charlie's video and am confident enough to do that kind of job and have access to the tools to do it. Maybe I should just ask the dealer to give me the parts and let me do the work, or even better show them how its done by looking at his video.
In any event he will have to explain to me how he adjusts the preload.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to bug you gentlemen, but I have recently purchased a 05 r1200st. 23k miles. Just noticed drivetrain slop. Put on center stand. Loads of freeplay/backlash. Way too premature wear. This is the only component I did not do a lot of research on, for I took for granted the almighty bmw empire would have this utmostly crucial component developed to be problem free by now. Please advise as to any sites or reply with phone numbers to which I can call to see if bmw will do anything about this. This component should be a 80k-100k component without repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lost my final drive comming down Afton Mountain on 64 East a few weeks ago. The bike, 2008 LT has 14,000 miles. At first thought I had hit something or had a flat rear. After checking the bike over on the side of the road rode a few more miles to the nearest exit. Had a giriding noise in the rear. Called in a few favors and got bike loaded in truck and home. Dealer replaced under warranty with no charge and in a timely manner, now has an additional 2 year warranty. Biggest head ache was loading and unloading bike from tall pick up.

However I do think 14,000 miles was an early failure for a manufacture know for quality and percision.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My 02 with almost 55k is still going strong (fingers crossed).

my FD failed on my Yamaha with like 40k miles on it. FD failures happen, I don't think BMW FD's are worse than any other brand, they just get ridden for much longer so it is more visible.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Caveno said:
My 02 with almost 55k is still going strong (fingers crossed).

my FD failed on my Yamaha with like 40k miles on it. FD failures happen, I don't think BMW FD's are worse than any other brand, they just get ridden for much longer so it is more visible.
The evidence begs to defer... Your opinion has no basis in fact. The 3-4% number is well documented in this forum and elsewhere. In this thread alone, there are posts listing multiple failures on a single bike. in the previous IBR, ONLY BMWs had FD failures. When a manufacturer has a problem that ischronic and doesn't take care of it - that is a problem. When a loyal customer base keeps after them on it - that helps to get it resolved. An owner that turns a blind eye doesn't help anyone.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
buffgunner said:
The evidence begs to defer... Your opinion has no basis in fact. The 3-4% number is well documented in this forum and elsewhere. In this thread alone, there are posts listing multiple failures on a single bike. in the previous IBR, ONLY BMWs had FD failures. When a manufacturer has a problem that ischronic and doesn't take care of it - that is a problem. When a loyal customer base keeps after them on it - that helps to get it resolved. An owner that turns a blind eye doesn't help anyone.
"Oft repeated" is not he same as "well documented." I have not seen any credible documentation that 4% is the real failure rate. I remember reading some time ago where the number supposedly came from, but I don't recall even that necessarily being a definitive source.

I personally suspect that BMW has a higher failure rate than most other manufacturers, but I have seen no data that really supports that suspicion. And having had two FD failures on my previous bike (a Kawasaki Voyager XII) in 46,000 miles, I can't yet say my BMW is better or worse than the Kawasaki. I have 22K on my BMW. My Voyager had 36K or so when it first failed. The dealer repaired the FD and it lasted less than 10K miles before failing again. At that point, I no longer had confidence in the bike so I bought an FD from a salvage yard and had the dealership replace the failed FD. I then sold the bike shortly after that ... and bought an LT not knowing the FD issue! Oh well, such is life...

Unless someone can say how many LTs are out there, how many miles each has traveled and how many FD failures have occurred and at what mileages, then there is no way at all to assign any defensible failure statistics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Voyager said:
"Oft repeated" is not he same as "well documented." I have not seen any credible documentation that 4% is the real failure rate. I remember reading some time ago where the number supposedly came from, but I don't recall even that necessarily being a definitive source.

I personally suspect that BMW has a higher failure rate than most other manufacturers, but I have seen no data that really supports that suspicion. And having had two FD failures on my previous bike (a Kawasaki Voyager XII) in 46,000 miles, I can't yet say my BMW is better or worse than the Kawasaki. I have 22K on my BMW. My Voyager had 36K or so when it first failed. The dealer repaired the FD and it lasted less than 10K miles before failing again. At that point, I no longer had confidence in the bike so I bought an FD from a salvage yard and had the dealership replace the failed FD. I then sold the bike shortly after that ... and bought an LT not knowing the FD issue! Oh well, such is life...

Unless someone can say how many LTs are out there, how many miles each has traveled and how many FD failures have occurred and at what mileages, then there is no way at all to assign any defensible failure statistics.
See no evil...
Hear no evil...
Speak no evil...

101 - 120 of 268 Posts