BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Howdy folks!

Now it was my turn. A few days ago I heard a strange and unfamilar sound from the rear part of my LT. Started with a little svjis svisj sound, Then a tsjug tsjug, wich acellerated to a noicy kadang, kadang and a 2. degree burning on my fingertip when touching the final drive housing. The guy from the road rescue service told me that it was not the first time the company had to rescue stranded LT's with final drive failure, even German LT's on vacation trips to Norway they had to carry back home to Germany and Norwegian LT's from southern Europe back to Norway. My LT is a 2004 mod. with 30000 km on the speedometer, and I had a 20000 km service about six months ago so the oil level and everything else should be OK. I've been told from the guys at the "hospital" that the failure will cost me about $ 8.000,-, but have to wait for a week before I know for sure. I've been driving BMW's since 1976 and have never experienced this kind of failure. Is the Goldwing getting closer???

By the way: The 27. this month, my wife and I will arrive at O'Hare and after three days we'll start our Historic Route 66 trip on an Electra Glide to LA. Our first night stop will be at DAYS INN ST CHARLES (St. Louis)

Best Regards

Jostein Bø
Dustoff 498

Ride with Pride
Blue Knights Norway I

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its not mne anymore but wanted to add it in. My 2000 LT-S with about 23K on it. I traded it in the week before Memorial Day for a new RT. Gene at Mathias (wonderful dealership BTW!) let me know about a week ago that the guy who bought it put about 500 miles on it and the final drive failed. I had no indication it was in trouble when I traded it in and the dealer did not either.

·
Registered
989 Posts
See, that is the problem with you guys. You are riding a jinxed bike. Should have gotten something else - like a 'GS.

Oh... wait... what's that crap?

I'll never learn. :rotf:

·
Registered
148 Posts
A mechanical engineer who ownes several BMW's told me that BMW is certainly irresponsible when responding to common mechanical design errors.
An example might be FD. BMW Recalls are few not because their are fewer errors but because BMW has a history of not addressing common design faults. Honda is automatic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FYI - Motorcycle Consumer News will feature an article on this issue in the Sept edition. Should be interesting to see what they have to add to the mix.

My '03 is still going strong...34k with half pulling a Bunkhouse. Got my fingers, arms and toes crossed but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
harleeetom said:
FYI - Motorcycle Consumer News will feature an article on this issue in the Sept edition. Should be interesting to see what they have to add to the mix.

My '03 is still going strong...34k with half pulling a Bunkhouse. Got my fingers, arms and toes crossed but so far so good.
Just read the MCN article - Four pages entitled "Tarnished Roundel". That's some serious editorial space given to a problem BMW continues to ignore publicly. I don't know that I know any local LT owner who didn't have an FD event of some kind. The article concludes that BMW has a serious PR problem. Amen. Although I love the bike, I just plain wanted to do something different for awhile, so I sold the LT and bought a Triumph. Maybe by the time I'm ready for a beemer again, the problem will be resolved. Anecdotally, I'd venture to say the failure rate is not far from 100%. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The www.bmwfinaldrive.com registry database has been down since I upgraded Parallels Plesk from version 8.2 to 8.6 on my GoDaddy virtual dedicated server yesterday morning. GoDaddy is working on the problem.

I will be departing for Tulsa at 8 AM this morning, so it is unlikely that I will be able to restore the MySQL database and PHP application until my return from the IBA National Meet.

In light of two (2) known FD failures in the SPANK rally during the past 6 hours and the September MCN article, the Final Drive Failure registry may be the best place to consolidate failure details and statistics since BMW Motorrad NA still has their head up their ass.

Jim Puckett
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
52 Posts
eljeffe said:
If you've had a rear drive failure, please participate in our rear drive failure survey at: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/survey.php?&do=take&sid=28
Also, please log your FD failure information into the database at www.bmwfinaldrive.com because...

as Ken Meese emailed me on August 14, 2008

"As of now, there isn't an easy way to pull the raw data off the BMWLT website database. I'm afraid it may have to be manually entered, or otherwise need a lot of copy/paste.

I've just spent the last week criss-crossing the country during the Spank Endurance Rally. 23 states and 7,600 miles in 7 days, then my rear drive gave out on my '07 GT. :^( I'm now sitting in a Waffle House in Nowhere, AR at 3 a.m. waiting for a tow truck.

This is now my third brand-new BMW that has had a rear drive failure. Methinks the Kool-aid is beginning to taste a little funny . . ."

Ken

·
Registered
299 Posts
BMWWANDRR said:
I have not had a FD failure, but the numbers (4% failure rate) I think are totally unacceptable. My '98 Kawi Vulcan has over 100,000 miles with never a thought about that kind of problem. I love riding the LT, but the thoughts of being stranded 2000 miles from home in the middle of nowhere, with my wife, make me think about this way too much. I still "just ride the bike", but my next purchase will probably involve these thoughts in helping to make the decision. I hope BMW steps up to the plate and makes this problem right like most major players would.
You raised a good point. BMW isn't a major player in the motorcycle business. Perhaps the company has lost interest in conquests and believes that the hard core will grin and bear it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
skaboots said:
I'm bettin there is no recall until a fatality or two can be traced to the FD failure....[reactive] is the way the Beauracratic wheel turns. :mad:
Damn near got the fatality Sept. 21 in Cherokee, AL when the rear wheel locked up on my 2000 LT @ 60 MPH with 112,000 miles on it. The casing was broken ahead of the U joint. Haven't taken it apart yet.
Wife broke her humorus, I had concussion, 5 ribs broken, rup spleen, skinned knee. ATGATT. Got air lifted to Huntsvile Trauma Center where they had a 3 for one deal-gal bladder, appendix and spleen taken out. After 10 days, www.Medjetassist.com flew us to Syracuse, where I spent another week in the hospital. Doing Huntsville now. Progressive ins. agent comes tomorrow. I expect it is a total. The rear wheel is cocked in relation to the bike. It is my spare bike as I was waiting for a rear disc for my 05 LT.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Man, I am so glad to see that you're typing this. A real jolt when I first read that you two had this happen. Been keepin' the candle lit for ya!!

It's gonna be interesting to see what the outcome is from your contacts with BMW Motorrad, and the area reps. Usually not a worry when it comes to Progressive; at least I hope not in your case.

Keep an update handy, Jim. I know lotsa folks are interested, as well as glad that you both survived. Sounds like some serious therapy all around!!!

Best Regards. ;)

Jim_Schuyler said:
Damn near got the fatality Sept. 21 in Cherokee, AL when the rear wheel locked up on my 2000 LT @ 60 MPH with 112,000 miles on it. The casing was broken ahead of the U joint. Haven't taken it apart yet.
Wife broke her humorus, I had concussion, 5 ribs broken, rup spleen, skinned knee. ATGATT. Got air lifted to Huntsvile Trauma Center where they had a 3 for one deal-gal bladder, appendix and spleen taken out. After 10 days, www.Medjetassist.com flew us to Syracuse, where I spent another week in the hospital. Doing Huntsville now. Progressive ins. agent comes tomorrow. I expect it is a total. The rear wheel is cocked in relation to the bike. It is my spare bike as I was waiting for a rear disc for my 05 LT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW!!! I just spent about 2 hours at a dealership looking at and crawling around the LT thinking that this could well be my next and last bike. After reading all the posts about the final drive and talking to the dealer about the cost of the scheduled maintenance I'm starting to think other wise.
I currently ride a '03 flhtci and have misgivings about handling in the twisties and oil leaks. Soon to be replaced with ??????????
To the poster who went down............ I hope the best for you both and glad to hear that you're doing ok, keep getting better and get back on. My Dad always made me get back on any horse I got throwed off of!

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
TWO22 said:
WOW!!! I just spent about 2 hours at a dealership looking at and crawling around the LT thinking that this could well be my next and last bike. After reading all the posts about the final drive and talking to the dealer about the cost of the scheduled maintenance I'm starting to think other wise.
I currently ride a '03 flhtci and have misgivings about handling in the twisties and oil leaks. Soon to be replaced with ??????????
To the poster who went down............ I hope the best for you both and glad to hear that you're doing ok, keep getting better and get back on. My Dad always made me get back on any horse I got throwed off of!
Fortunately, (I think anyway!) I bought my LT before I had read all of the horror stories. So far, at nearly 10K miles, I have no regrets. Compared to my Voyager XII and the Harley Ultra that I test rode, the LT is a world apart. It is a hoot to ride, either solo or two-up and the handling and braking is superb. The ABS and anti-dive geometry is simply magic and really inspires confidence during emergency braking.

You have to decide what is right for you, but if the failure rate really is in the 4% rate as some have suggested, that means you have a 96% chance of being fine. You make the call as to whether the advantages of the LT outweigh the risks of FD or slave cylinder failure. So far, for me, the balance is in favor of owning an LT.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
TWO22 said:
Put a true trac on it or ride straight, they even make frame to swingarm bushings that cure the wobble issue hd FL's and dyna's have

do a google and you will even find a place in canada that I forget the namje of that makes a kit for them

at least if you do decide to sell the hd, then you know you have done something good and possibly help the next owner from being hurt on it.
Tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Voyager said:
You have to decide what is right for you, but if the failure rate really is in the 4% rate as some have suggested, that means you have a 96% chance of being fine. You make the call as to whether the advantages of the LT outweigh the risks of FD or slave cylinder failure. So far, for me, the balance is in favor of owning an LT.

I had over 100k on my last final drive no problems,

the new style seem to be far worse at failing, andthat style isnot on the K1200LT - yet anyhow.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you do any of your own upkeep? The cost the dealer quoted for a 12000 check up was over $1000.00!!!!!! I want to ride it not save up for upkeep!

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
TWO22 said:
Do you do any of your own upkeep? The cost the dealer quoted for a 12000 check up was over $1000.00!!!!!! I want to ride it not save up for upkeep!
Many folks here do their own basic maintenance. And a few do much more than that. There are a few good service manuals available, as well as some DVDs. And of course, after nearly a decade of LTs we can probably answer just about any question here. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
StLHeadake said:
jc_puckett said:
There is no 4.0% rule for serious injury and/or life threatening mechanical or electrical failures.

The new final drives in the latest BMW motorcycles are failing at an unacceptable rate also. This is simply unbelievable. If there is ever a next generation LT based on a higher torque, lower horsepower version of the K1200GT engine, LT FD failures might resume once again.

Jim mine failed last Wednesday on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at Mile Marker 9. I managed to limp it back to one of the oasis to get help. It was replaced with a BRAND NEW Final Drive, and now with 900 miles on it, I can already feel a vibration in the rear. That failure was number 2. The LT only had about 12K on a 'new' bearing.

I am POSITIVE that it will fail AGAIN! This really bothers me! I love this bike, really. If that bearing would have failed a day earlier, we were 400 miles from a dealer! Hell we were in the mountains of West VA. We were 30 minutes from ANYONE!! That would have SUCKED!!
It boggles my mind as to why this isn't being investigated....

This sums up my thinking on the subject. There is no proper follow up on the final drive subject and there is no 4.0% rule on injury. BMW is criminal in business climatic behavior by not addressing a common problem with this Bike and unfortunately a costly problem with expired warranty. My hope is they fix it with a newer LT model because I would be an idiot to jeopordize that much of a $$ investment again. Honda Goldwing owners must laugh as they smoke us, their bikes are bullet proof. Our LT bikes handle nicely, but talk to anyone who pays for a final drive out of pocket and reserve judgement. My hope is that BMW will get this right!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
stapleford said:
StLHeadake said:

This sums up my thinking on the subject. There is no proper follow up on the final drive subject and there is no 4.0% rule on injury. BMW is criminal in business climatic behavior by not addressing a common problem with this Bike and unfortunately a costly problem with expired warranty. My hope is they fix it with a newer LT model because I would be an idiot to jeopordize that much of a $$ investment again. Honda Goldwing owners must laugh as they smoke us, their bikes are bullet proof. Our LT bikes handle nicely, but talk to anyone who pays for a final drive out of pocket and reserve judgement. My hope is that BMW will get this right!
Main reason I didn't replace my LT with another BMW. If they fix it in the future, I'll think about it.

41 - 60 of 268 Posts