BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
A big Tks to Jim for taking this on! And i agree with Ken that we should provide all the ammo we can from our site here. To that end I just finished searching our archives for the "Rear Drive Failure" Thread on our site so that I could faithfully reproduce the facts for Jim's registry. If anyone else feels inclined to do the same, here is the link to our thread for those like myself who had already posted there:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Board=surveys&Number=17109

And even though I had added my failure to the NHTSA complaint database back then ('05) I do recall that it was difficult deciding just what category it should be filed under! So there is a problem with accurate numbers there for that reason. Hopefully Jim can help NHTSA see the light!

John

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
dshealey said:
Ken, is anyone trying to get the spreadsheet Jeff had to Jim?
Already working the back channels on that one. :)

And you can see that Jim has now signed on here, with an excellent explanation of the direction he's heading.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Lonewuff said:
Do me a favor and don't park your scoot anywhere near mine at CCR. :cool: I don't want her to learn this trick that yours obviously has down pat. I see your name on that list three times!!! :eek: Would that make you a 4 to the 3rd power %er? :D
Um, I don't think it's catching, regardless of CCR & IBR statistics. :eek:

I'm down for 2 1/2 failures on two LTs (two bearings and one seal failure). I just keep fixin' 'em and ridin' 'em, but I am grateful that due to this website I knew enough about this failure mode to catch things early so that none of my failures involved an accident or injury.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Admin's. Might it be worth linking to Jim's page from the LT home page? Just a thought as 12 months from now if I or someone else has a failure, rather than search for the link having it up front would make it easier...

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Just typing some observations.
  • 12 out of 30 reports are LTs . . . not too shabby. What's the problem?
  • Meese has 3 outta 30 of the reports submitted. What a whiner!
  • Meese has 3 reports submitted. I personally nominate him for the "BMW Stick-To-Itiveness" award. Good job Ken!
    :bmw:
  • Once I submit my report, I'll be part of The Few, The Proud, The FD Thrashers!
  • Who gives a rip who owns the site?
  • Here's to another FD thread.
  • My current FD has a 0% chance of failing as long as the snow keeps failing.
  • Ride > Break > Fix > Repeat.
Just sayin'... ;)

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
joevano said:
Not to be argumentative, but, what makes you think the NHTSA is going to see this, let alone act on it? And, what makes this failure different from any other failure ( ie: ABS pump, trunk latch, various seal failures, clutch etc. ) to warrant a recall other than not wanting to pay for the repair yourself? :confused:
The one critical element that separates this failure form the others you mention: The propensity to dump gear oil all over the rear tire when failure occurs.

Just for the sake of discussion, lets say that one is rounding a long, high speed right hand sweeper, just when the rear drive decides to puke oil all over the rear wheel and tire. While we have not heard of this happening, I think the probability is high that it will at some point. We've also seen at least one catch fire.

The failures of rear drives alone may not warrant NHTSA action, but the safety implications certainly should.

For the record, I wouldn't hesitate to take off on an LT (or any other BMW) for a long journey and I still prefer these bikes to others on the market. That said, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how this failure has eluded NHTSA scrutiny thus far. Personally, I think it is reflective of the general bias against motorcycles in the population at large - which certainly filters into the government.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
AliMar said:
Admin's. Might it be worth linking to Jim's page from the LT home page? Just a thought as 12 months from now if I or someone else has a failure, rather than search for the link having it up front would make it easier...
For now we will stick this thread at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have not had a FD failure, but the numbers (4% failure rate) I think are totally unacceptable. My '98 Kawi Vulcan has over 100,000 miles with never a thought about that kind of problem. I love riding the LT, but the thoughts of being stranded 2000 miles from home in the middle of nowhere, with my wife, make me think about this way too much. I still "just ride the bike", but my next purchase will probably involve these thoughts in helping to make the decision. I hope BMW steps up to the plate and makes this problem right like most major players would.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
BMWWANDRR said:
I have not had a FD failure, but the numbers (4% failure rate) I think are totally unacceptable.
How did you calculate 4%?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Post #7 on this thread. It seems to be the % most quoted.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
BMWWANDRR said:
Post #7 on this thread. It seems to be the % most quoted.
There aren't any %'s on Post #7.

·
Registered
269 Posts
joevano said:
Even if the guestimated failure rate is correct, is 4% enough for them to take action?
This is the one I'm talking about.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have heard the 3-4% quoted for the last three years. But, it sure would be nice to know where that number is coming from and where it has been quantified and documented. Since it is my understanding BMW doesn't release that information, it sure would be nice to know. It just seems to be some number the everyone talks about..

Can anyone speak to this.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
rglassma said:
I have heard the 3-4% quoted for the last three years. But, it sure would be nice to know where that number is coming from and where it has been quantified and documented. Since it is my understanding BMW doesn't release that information, it sure would be nice to know. It just seems to be some number the everyone talks about..

Can anyone speak to this.
The "4%" was really approx 3.6% and was calculated on estimated failures thru 2002. So, to be a "true" 4%er, your bike should be from model years 1999 - 2002.

Check out this post, especially David Shealey's post and Randy's reply - it explains the history very well:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=220952#poststop

This is virtually a non-issue for LT's w/ model year 2003 & newer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm bettin there is no recall until a fatality or two can be traced to the FD failure....[reactive] is the way the Beauracratic wheel turns. :mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Randy said:
For now we will stick this thread at the top of the forum.
I'm still waiting for the Jeff Eagan survey data to insert into the www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php database.

There is no 4.0% rule for serious injury and/or life threatening mechanical or electrical failures.

The new final drives in the latest BMW motorcycles are failing at an unacceptable rate also. This is simply unbelievable. If there is ever a next generation LT based on a higher torque, lower horsepower version of the K1200GT engine, LT FD failures might resume once again.

Jim Puckett
Jackson, MO
573-833-6690 home
636-524-8273 work

·
Registered
155 Posts
dont no if dis goez hear or not butt the F.D.belt on de harley broke 2nite so harley riderz have reaend problemz 2

·
Registered
265 Posts
jc_puckett said:
There is no 4.0% rule for serious injury and/or life threatening mechanical or electrical failures.

The new final drives in the latest BMW motorcycles are failing at an unacceptable rate also. This is simply unbelievable. If there is ever a next generation LT based on a higher torque, lower horsepower version of the K1200GT engine, LT FD failures might resume once again.

Jim mine failed last Wednesday on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at Mile Marker 9. I managed to limp it back to one of the oasis to get help. It was replaced with a BRAND NEW Final Drive, and now with 900 miles on it, I can already feel a vibration in the rear. That failure was number 2. The LT only had about 12K on a 'new' bearing.

I am POSITIVE that it will fail AGAIN! This really bothers me! I love this bike, really. If that bearing would have failed a day earlier, we were 400 miles from a dealer! Hell we were in the mountains of West VA. We were 30 minutes from ANYONE!! That would have SUCKED!!

It boggles my mind as to why this isn't being investigated....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only saw 1 2007 on the list and no 2008's. Has the FD failure issue been fixed after 2007, or has anyone heard of an incident with a later model? I am one week from purchasing a 2009.

E.

21 - 40 of 268 Posts