BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June, 2003.
20 miles from Gettysburg, 3000 miles from home, my then low mileage '99 has it's first bearing failure. It had to be towed to Bob's in Jessup, MD. They had it fixed a few hours after receiving it, but I still had to miss seeing Gettysburg and Philadelphia.

Today, June, 2009 (2nd try)
20 miles from Gettysburg, 3000 miles from home, my 2008 with 16k , start vibrating under my boots. This time, the bike was able to limp the 80 miles to Bob's. They'll have it ready by noon tomorrow. We'll miss a day in the Capital and loose one of three nights in posh DC hotel, but we did see Gettysburg and Philly since this trip was planned clockwise. Both were better than I could have imagined. We're very happy tourist.

The first failure was a little scary, mostly because of the unknown so far from home. Then next 3, just an inconvenience. l'm still convinced it's the best 2 up long distance tourer.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
You need to stay away from PA in June!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Matt said:
You need to stay away from PA in June!

No $hit LOL. Richdude the best long distance tourer is one that will get you there AND back.
BMW used to be able to do that, and I can't help but wonder what happened at BMW that changed.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
JoeD9106 said:
Hi, new member here. Have an 05 with 6k miles. Anything I can do to prevent this from happening??
Yes, buy an 03 :D

Seems that half of 02, 03 and 04s had the replacement 17 ball bearing and fewer failures.

Seriously don't worry too much about it and have it repaired at the first signs of trouble.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
08 LT with 16K miles having a rear drive failure????

WOW. At least, it is under warranty...

Richdude said:
June, 2003.
20 miles from Gettysburg, 3000 miles from home, my then low mileage '99 has it's first bearing failure. It had to be towed to Bob's in Jessup, MD. They had it fixed a few hours after receiving it, but I still had to miss seeing Gettysburg and Philadelphia.

Today, June, 2009 (2nd try)
20 miles from Gettysburg, 3000 miles from home, my 2008 with 16k , start vibrating under my boots. This time, the bike was able to limp the 80 miles to Bob's. They'll have it ready by noon tomorrow. We'll miss a day in the Capital and loose one of three nights in posh DC hotel, but we did see Gettysburg and Philly since this trip was planned clockwise. Both were better than I could have imagined. We're very happy tourist.

The first failure was a little scary, mostly because of the unknown so far from home. Then next 3, just an inconvenience. l'm still convinced it's the best 2 up long distance tourer.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Have two LTs. If one breaks down, then you would still have the other....:)

JoeD9106 said:
Hi, new member here. Have an 05 with 6k miles. Anything I can do to prevent this from happening??

·
Registered
375 Posts
MattKas said:
Have two LTs. If one breaks down, then you would still have the other....:)

Some actually carry an extra final drive and the tools with them. I don't know whether to admire their commitment to the brand or wonder why would anyone put up with this nonsense.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Something for you guys to look at with repeated FD failures would be the rear brake caliper. If it shows an unusual wear pattern I suppose it might be possible that the lateral force exerted by a malfunctioning caliper could at least contribute to premature bearing failure. Just spit-ballin' here. I'm not experienced with the FDs and hopefully I'll get to stay that way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Richdude said:
l'm still convinced it's the best 2 up long distance tourer.
If I'd have had 4 final drive failures under my butt, I don't know if I could make the same statement.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My R 1150 RT 04 12,240 miles...went south on the final drive this afternoon... It started making some intermittent grinding sounds... I was out in the boonies and still am... I limped it back to the motel in Aransas Pass, Texas. I am 250 miles from home right now... Dammitalltahell.
Called the dealer- he said we don't really do them..cheapest way and such.... not replacing the bearing and such...
NOT GOOD.

NOW I am thinking of selling ALL of my bikes now... THat's how I feel...

Where can I get one? new rebuilt....someone steer me- I will have to have my brother come get me from Houston and get a trailer to haul this weight back.. NO I am not happy..
FAR , FAR........................................................ FAR from it..

What would be the warranty if they did a NEW one? any ideas?
WOrth my time.. THey might need some boat anchors and such.. ( I know those of you that have had this problem know what I mean...

If ya got one, let me know- PM me please..call at me... laff at me...
832.622.0538 or 281.830.1424
MIKEY

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Sorry to hear about your failure and the location where you are that it failed.

To answer you question about warranty on the final drive, it is two years on the part installed by BMW. The key part to the answer is "installed by BMW". You can buy the part and install it yourself, but BMW will not warranty it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 R1200RT(P) police version, It has just done 8100 KM and the final drive just lunched itself, for the $30,000 odd dollars it has cost the police department I would be pretty dissapointed.

What a disgrace that an issue like this has gone on for pretty much the entire model run and they are still churning out the same crap with the same fault. totally unacceptable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts