BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am fairly new to the whole K1200LT (approximately 2 months), I only really have one concern. Is it normal to have a certain amount of backlash in the final drive?

I only ask because if I back off then accelerate I get a fairly loud clunk as the drive takes up, other then that all appears normal. If I put her up on the centre stand is there a "normal" amount that the rear wheel should move when it is in gear or is it all "normal". I am assuming that the gearbox and final drive all take up some play.

I also have a Suzuki C90 that has a shaft drive and it appears to have less backlash then the BMW, impossible to tell if there is any noise accompanying it as it sounds as subtle as a jumbo jet.

So basically, is there a point when there is too much backlash on the Beemer?

As per my signature, I have a 2003 Titan silver, I have put about 4-5000kms on it in some fairly harsh country and I am loving it more each time I go out. My only other issue is keeping the missus awake long enough to see the countryside lol.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Ozkruz said:
As I am fairly new to the whole K1200LT (approximately 2 months), I only really have one concern. Is it normal to have a certain amount of backlash in the final drive?
Neale,
Seems you already know that there has to be some. There hasn't been too much discussion on how much is too much, sooooooooooo, I went and "measured" mine for comparison.

Bike on the center stand and in first gear. 12 inch square on the ground and against the sidewall of the tire. Rolled the tire forward to remove the slack and marked the sidewall. Rolled the tire back till it stopped and marked it again. Measured distance between the two marks = 2.250 in. (About 57 mm for the rest of the world.) I don't think that the amount of "backlash" in mine is excessive and it hasn't given me any problems (27k miles).

HTH and good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
812 Posts
I also notice slack

Dman said:
Neale,
Seems you already know that there has to be some. There hasn't been too much discussion on how much is too much, sooooooooooo, I went and "measured" mine for comparison.

Bike on the center stand and in first gear. 12 inch square on the ground and against the sidewall of the tire. Rolled the tire forward to remove the slack and marked the sidewall. Rolled the tire back till it stopped and marked it again. Measured distance between the two marks = 2.250 in. (About 57 mm for the rest of the world.) I don't think that the amount of "backlash" in mine is excessive and it hasn't given me any problems (27k miles).

HTH and good luck.
I've not had my bike long but am now over 9000 miles down the road.

Right away(driving the bike home), I noticed the slack and asked the dealer. He just said "huh?" like it didn't exist. Can't see that it's gotten any worse, but I'm going to do a measure like you did Neale.

Ride safe, but the dealer said to ride it like I stole it, so that's what I do..........yeehaa! :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses, I will take to measuring it as well. I figured it may have been just the nature of the beast and I feel more reassured now.

Edited, because it seems I was afflicted by dyslexia
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
812 Posts
I measured wheel movement today

vernvernvern said:
I've not had my bike long but am now over 9000 miles down the road.

Right away(driving the bike home), I noticed the slack and asked the dealer. He just said "huh?" like it didn't exist. Can't see that it's gotten any worse, but I'm going to do a measure like you did Neale.

Ride safe, but the dealer said to ride it like I stole it, so that's what I do..........yeehaa! :bmw:
Did the measuring after the weather cooled down a little. Rear wheel moves approximately 2.25".

Also changed the oil in the rear and noticed the magnetic plug was a little hairy. Not worried about that though. :)
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top