BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my LT, replaced the final drive with 90w gear lube fortified w/ teflon, slick 50. Ran it 100 miles replaced it w/ Amsoil synthetic. 12k service. dealership replaced trans w BMW synthetic.(red). 25k on the bike, I have been changing the oil myself every 6k. Drained the final drive w/ 13k since last change. As clean as the day I put it in w/ very little on the plug. Went to remove drain plug on the Trans ( following info on this site), could not budge the drain plug. Removed the fill plug, the trans oil is clean ( still red). Will probably wait until 30k and get someone to stabilize the bike and completely remove the kick stand assy. and us a 14mm allen drive to change the trans. fluid. I have been blending 3parts synthetic w 1part slick 50 gear oil in the final drive. Keep my fingers crossed and watch it closely.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
hognot said:
Keep my fingers crossed and watch it closely.
Yes, keep those fingers crossed. I don't care how much you change the FD oil, or what type of oil you use, when it is time to fail, it will fail and nothing will prevent it!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just bought my bike a month or so ago and am moving so I didn't have time to do things exactly right. So I posted on here about using a brake bleeder system that runs off an air compressor, like a mityvac, and using it to suck the oil out of the tranny through the fill plug. I got out exactly what was supposed to be in there and the magnetic plug will keep any shavings away. So not perfect, but better than nothing. Maybe try that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts