BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is the k1600gtl the replacement for the LT?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tom1200 said:
So is the k1600gtl the replacement for the LT?

It's the successor to the LT. There isn't going to be another flagship touring model. This is it. In the same way that Cadillac did not replace their Sedan DeVille with its CTX model successor... they had to evolve or die out.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
simoncharles said:
RT and GT1300 owners will say yes. LT owners will say no.
And neither is relevant -- what is relevant is that BMW (David Robb, others) have said yes.

And frankly, I believe them. The K16GTL is every bit as big as the LT, and the feature set is very similar (some LT things dropped, some GTL things added, but the basic philosophy underlying the GTL is the same as the LT -- primary emphasis on rider/passenger comfort, convenience, ride comfort while providing competent handling, and state-of-the-art safety and convenience electronics).

It's starting to sound like many LT folks won't be happy until the K12LT is cloned and introduced as a new model -- but seriously -- what's missing? What makes a K16GTL not an "LT"? Given the GTL's size, rider/passenger room, luggage capacity, touring-oriented suspension (with greater adjustability and likely a ride even better that the K12LT's), touring-oriented electronic equipment (GPS, radio, intercom, etc) there's not much more to add.

The real question is what makes a luxury tourer? A power centerstand? Nope -- the '98-'04 LTs didn't have them, and no one would argue that they were any less luxury barges than the Gold Wing. Reverse? Way too many non-reverse top-of-the-line tourers out there for anyone to seriously suggest a non-reverse-equipped bike isn't a luxury tourer.

So what is it that anyone thinks a K16GTL will not be able to do that a K12LT can do, which justifies the suggestion that the K16 GTL "isn't really a luxury tourer, and therefore isn't an LT replacement?" ????

Pot stirred :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mneblett said:
And neither is relevant -- what is relevant is that BMW (David Robb, others) have said yes.-----------------------------------------------------------

So what is it that anyone thinks a K16GTL will not be able to do that a K12LT can do, which justifies the suggestion that the K16 GTL "isn't really a luxury tourer, and therefore isn't an LT replacement?" ????

Pot stirred :D
Only one thing about what I have seen so far turns me off the GTL. That ugly, hanging out, tacked on top box! Could they have not designed it like it was part of the bike, like the LT, and not something tacked on at the last minute after they found they did not have room for it? For one who always liked the flowing lines of the LT, that is one ugly side view.

·
Registered
519 Posts
dshealey said:
Only one thing about what I have seen so far turns me off the GTL. That ugly, hanging out, tacked on top box! Could they have not designed it like it was part of the bike, like the LT, and not something tacked on at the last minute after they found they did not have room for it? For one who always liked the flowing lines of the LT, that is one ugly side view.
While I don't disagree with the look, it isn't "integrated" in it's look, but I LOVE the fact that I can easily remove it and run with just bags, or w/o bags too. I'll only use the top trunk when on long trips, or my pillion rides with me and wants a back rest. After two LT's, I'd forgo the styling integration (which the term "styling" is subjective to each of us) for the flexibility it provides me.

Oh, I agree, the GT and GTL are EVOLUTIONS of the LT and GT, and this is BMW's replacement.
Oliver Schmitt from BMW said back in September: "The K 1600 GTL is indeed BMW Motorrad's new flagship touring model. It combines space and comfort with extensive equipment and all this in combination with much less weight and more riding agility and dynamics than the K 1200 LT. And all this with a moderate fuel consumption. So it perfectly represents what BMW Motorrad stands for in the 21st century."

Kinda sounds to me that the GTL is the replacement for the LT.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
dshealey said:
Here, here...

·
Registered
193 Posts
MrBreeze said:
While I don't disagree with the look, it isn't "integrated" in it's look, but I LOVE the fact that I can easily remove it and run with just bags, or w/o bags too. I'll only use the top trunk when on long trips, or my pillion rides with me and wants a back rest. After two LT's, I'd forgo the styling integration (which the term "styling" is subjective to each of us) for the flexibility it provides me.

Oh, I agree, the GT and GTL are EVOLUTIONS of the LT and GT, and this is BMW's replacement.
Oliver Schmitt from BMW said back in September: "The K 1600 GTL is indeed BMW Motorrad's new flagship touring model. It combines space and comfort with extensive equipment and all this in combination with much less weight and more riding agility and dynamics than the K 1200 LT. And all this with a moderate fuel consumption. So it perfectly represents what BMW Motorrad stands for in the 21st century."

Kinda sounds to me that the GTL is the replacement for the LT.
Recognizing that my opinion won't count for much, seeing as how the GTL is my first Beemer, I can tell you that one of the features that drew me to the bike is the ability to remove the trunk when my SO isn't with me (or I'm not traveling), and to remove the bags completely for a sportier look when I'm just running around town.

My $.02, but I agree with Mr Breeze.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
So what's so hard about removing the LT's top box. It's not rocket science ! 10 mins at most and that's with central locking etc. I've always thought the LT with a Fort Worth rack (or similar) looks sooooo cooool. Will get one eventually, but in the mean time with the top box in position, it looks like it belongs, and wasn't a last minute thought. When I first saw pics of the 1600, that top box was the biggest turnoff (for me) Good to see the advances in technology for sure, but please make it look nice. Yes it's a replacement, deal with it. :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
dshealey said:
Totally agree with you on that, David! It's not as bad as a Bangle Butt 7 series, but it is uncomfortably close to getting there.

Nonethless, I like the basic mounting approach, and the trunk is even nicer than the K12LT's -- I really like the gas lid assist struts. Oh well, when I'm riding, I won't be looking at it :D

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
The K 1600 GTL is indeed BMW Motorrad's new flagship touring model. It combines space and comfort with extensive equipment and all this in combination with much less weight and more riding agility and dynamics than the K 1200 LT.
I think once folks start riding these Slant/6 bikes, most of the "complaints" will go away.

Seriously, the suspension technology alone is light-years ahead of the now-dated LT, not to mention what that motor must be like with all that torque available. If BMW has done a good job with the ergonomics and aerodynamics (and it sure looks like they have) then this will be one hell of a luxury touring bike. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Raaze12 said:
Recognizing that my opinion won't count for much, seeing as how the GTL is my first Beemer, I can tell you that one of the features that drew me to the bike is the ability to remove the trunk when my SO isn't with me (or I'm not traveling), and to remove the bags completely for a sportier look when I'm just running around town.

My $.02, but I agree with Mr Breeze.
agreed...the fact that the trunk is removable is a reason Im ditching the LT (and the GT) for the new GTL.

F

·
Registered
49 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I first saw a Bangle Butt 7 series I didn't care for it, but it grew on me, and I bought a used one 3 years ago. Great car! My LT is a great bike too, but I am excited about the GTL and will likely trade up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
GTL - not sure that it will be an LT replacement, or what it will be until it is out on the road.

My LT's tree bags are full much of the time when riding two up, Most of the time its two helmets in the side bags and anything from purchases to two jackets with the kevlar tightly packed in the top case while we are stopped.

The top case gets books, a purse, sometimes a back pack and shoes.

Will the GTL's 6 bring new torque to the low end, or will it burn clutches faster than a 2007 LT or final drives like the worst of them. Could be. It could be a godsend to the BMW world. Maybe its time to buy www.bmwgtl.com.

Maybe we should all wait until some blue and silver ones are on the road before we decide.

Bill

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh, and BTW, I was not the only BMW jockey putting a leg over the Gold Wing last weekend at the Chicago Motorcycle Show, when our illustrious vendor couldn't be bothered to show up.

The Wing is not an LT replacement. It is something else. Just like the GTL.

Bill

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
WildBil said:
My LT's three bags are full much of the time when riding two up
The current GT/RT side cases also swallow helmets easily, and the current GT/RT 49-liter trunk can take two full-face helmets with room to spare. You can place the helmets neck-down (normal orientation) and have room left over, instead of the LT requiring the helmets to be placed chin up with necks together and still filling the entire space.

So my current GT actually has more useable luggage space than my old LT did. From the pics, it looks like the GT/GTL will also end up with more useable space.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
David hit the nail on the head! That top box, as I have said before, looks like something the cat forgot to bury! What's missing? Beautifully integrated luggage, nice rounded and swoopy lines. The front of the new ones look so similar to a Yamaha R6 it is uncanny. Squinty and pointy to extremes.

Can you tell I'm not in line to get a K1600XXX? :(:)

Loren

dshealey said:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts