BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I just bought a 2008 k1200 LT with 8000 mi on it. I figures I would change the oil since I am not sure when it was done last. I drained the oil using the drain plug, but when I tried to remove the three small Allen bolts that hold the filter plate cover on, the Allen key slips and starts to strip the 4mm is too small the 4.5mm is too big and the standard ones are not even close. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Gun138 said:
Hello everybody, I just bought a 2008 k1200 LT with 8000 mi on it. I figures I would change the oil since I am not sure when it was done last. I drained the oil using the drain plug, but when I tried to remove the three small Allen bolts that hold the filter plate cover on, the Allen key slips and starts to strip the 4mm is too small the 4.5mm is too big and the standard ones are not even close. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
That does not make sense. The screws are M6 X 20mm long, and use a 5mm hex key.

I sure hope some idiot did not put 1/4" screws in there! Would have had to tap the threads to do so, making them awfully weak. or put Heli-coils in the crankcase.

A 1/4" cap screw uses a 3/16" hex key, smaller than 5mm, and larger than 4.5mm

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,942 Posts
The later model LTs used Torx fasteners here, not allen head.
I don't have one handy here but I am guessing a T-25 or some where right around there.

(David, I have no idea why they did this to us)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jzeiler said:
The later model LTs used Torx fasteners here, not allen head.
I don't have one handy here but I am guessing a T-25 or some where right around there.

(David, I have no idea why they did this to us)
OH, did not know that. Somewhat strange switch. For a 6mm socket head cap screw, standard is T-30.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further inspection ( getting my reading glasses on ) you guys are absolutely right it is a torx bolt. Thank you very much! Will attempt to change filter when get home from the Firehouse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts