BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey KLT Gurus,
I have just got me an older 2000LT with 41k miles. this thing is the BOMB! My question is: The windshield has a film on it that is hazed and fllaked off in spots. regular washing & cleaning will not make the windshield clear. Is this some sort of anti fog or reflection coating? Is there some way to remove this and have it clear again? I had a similar problem on my 1995 K11LT windshield and it took alot of elbow grease and can of brasso to get it clean. Sounds weird I know but it works on plastic with out scratching it.
Thank you for any help you can offer,
Hip

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The windshield has a coating on it that deteriorates over time.

Get the moisture out of it by cleaning it with denatured alcohol.
You can get it at the hardware store.

Best thing is just to get a new windshield. The earlier ones, Like the original on mine and yours, fog up pretty easy. The alcohol will get the fog out. For a bit.

Good Luck

John

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Ditto what John said. Once the coating starts to deteriorate, thats about it. Get a nice Cee Bailey or ZTech replacement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid you were gonna say that! Where is the place to get one?
Thanks!
Hip

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My 02 came with a film on it also. Hell the whole bike had it. I rubbed out the painted surfaces and used a Plexiglas cleaner from my neighbor. It worked enough to make it ridable,(2700 miles) but the previous owner sent me a new CeeBailey's.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If you want a rreplacement shield from BMW, the replacements are made by National Cycle and aren't known to have this problem. I don;t know that you can buy that shield from National Cycle directly, or if it's a dealer only item. This is a common problem and you may actually be able to find a different shield from some of the fine folks here.

Good Luck.
Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts