BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every other bike I've had one just removes the gas tank cap, put the tip of the nozzle in and squeeze the lever filling the tank in 30 seconds (or less) - filled the LT tonight for the second time, squeezed a little too hard and ...... - it takes forever to fill it - something I am missing - secret to filling faster than putting 20 gallons the truck

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
No big secrets that i am aware of.

Bike on sidestand
Select premium grade
Nozzle just inside fill spout
Squeeze the handle until it first shuts off
Hang up nozzle and ride away

DO NOT OVERFILL!!!!!

If you have not done a cannisterectomy you MUST stop pumping after the pump clicks off the first time. If you continue you will fill the charcoal emissions cannister with liquid fuel which plugs it up and causes the bike to die. Search the forum for the word cannisterectomy.

If the cannisterectomy has been done then stuff the tank until it pours out the overflow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've only had my LT a few months, but have owned a bunch of bikes as well as 4 wheeled machines over the years. The LT doesn't refuel differently than any of them.

Don't forget that the LT's tank holds 6.3 (US) gallons. That may be bigger than what you're used to for a bike.

The auto shut off mechanisms on some gasoline pumps do seem to manage flow rate differently at times. I suspect the problem is it's where you're buying your gas....not the bike.

Enjoy your bike.

JD

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I only put the nozzle in a couple of inches and fill on the side stand, no problem just have to watch out for blowback in the last little bit

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
All the above :cool: I have a canisterectomy and squeeze in as much gas as I can because as you, I hate filling her up. You need to be careful not to put the nozzle in the filler too far and possibly tip it causing damage inside the filler. I find some pumps have a high amount of pressure and trying to squeeze out the last few spurts, splatters fuel all over the place.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - I suspect the pumps around here pump at quite high pressure, I had gas all over the "tank" on first blow back, will have to be more carefull next time - she gets a bath today.
In Canada we get the European models - 99's and 2000's did not have canisters according to realoem.com and I have not found one on the bike

·
Registered
192 Posts
gary45 said:
In Canada we get the European models - 99's and 2000's did not have canisters according to realoem.com and I have not found one on the bike
The canister is in an enclosed area below the trunk. A quick visual inspection will not reveal it

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Only US import bikes have the cannister.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had the seats, trunk off the bike, found the yellow cat code plug under the trunk which I pulled but did not like the way it ran so I have put it back

·
Registered
635 Posts
As I recall the manual indicates to fill with the bike on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
..So... Do you get more gas in the tank if you put your bike on the side stand? With a sidecar rig , the side stand is almost useless. I almost took it off a few years ago, but thought better of it. Anyway ,I really pack it in the tank when I get fuel.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have already performed this experiment. Coming home from CCR 2010, I decided to fill on the centerstand, then move to side stand to see what would happen. The fuel level dropped when I moved to the side stand. Since I had already shut the pump off, I don't know how much more fuel I could have added.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Snip
I have already performed this experiment. Coming home from CCR 2010, I decided to fill on the centerstand, then move to side stand to see what would happen. The fuel level dropped when I moved to the side stand. Since I had already shut the pump off, I don't know how much more fuel I could have added.
Thank You Lee, I didn't think I was over filling my tank .If I am it isn't by much...Anyway, If you can get more in on the side stand...I'm good...

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
gary45 said:
Every other bike I've had one just removes the gas tank cap, put the tip of the nozzle in and squeeze the lever filling the tank in 30 seconds (or less) - filled the LT tonight for the second time, squeezed a little too hard and ...... - it takes forever to fill it - something I am missing - secret to filling faster than putting 20 gallons the truck
I have no problem filling mine in 30 seconds or a little more. I fill it on this side stand and hold the nozzle so that maybe 3" is inside the tank. I don't fill at full throttle, but maybe 3/4 flow rate and then slowly ease off as the level rises up towards the top. By the time the tank is full I have released the trigger almost completely and get maybe just a little bubble as the air comes out around the filler neck.

I have read stories of others who have jammed the filler nozzle down into the tank and dented the fuel level sensor tube causing trouble so I have always been careful to hold onto the nozzle and not jam the entire thing into the tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts