BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read thru all the posts and did some searching and the only "impact" I could find on filling from the center stand was "shorting" myself some fuel?

I HATE using the side stand and I am so afraid of the bitch falling over.

SO is there any damage I can cause from filling from the center stand.

Thanks as always in advance.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
No, just shorting yourself about 1/2 gallon on a full tank.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Keep the bike in 1st gear, release the clutch, and push it the direction you want to be (forwards or backwards & nearest the pump keypad & nozzle) 'till it doesn't roll any further, then put your side stand down. Most fuel points are flat anyway, so your rolling worries should be minimal. Don't fear and Good luck! :wave

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
amarider said:
Agree :cool:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlauBeeMr said:
Keep the bike in 1st gear, release the clutch, and push it the direction you want to be (forwards or backwards & nearest the pump keypad & nozzle) 'till it doesn't roll any further, then put your side stand down. Most fuel points are flat anyway, so your rolling worries should be minimal. Don't fear and Good luck! :wave

I agree that that should work, I am just a chicken and am willing to sacrifice the extra 1/2 gallon if I can remove the chance of the bike faling over at the gas pump.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The big thing is to not overfill it so remember to only fill it to the bottom of the threads. With a six gallon plus capacity it's pretty certain your butt will need a break before the bike needs filled. I usually get 50 plus MPG at 70 MPH so I usually just fill her up when I'm stretching the legs.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Your bike is more stable on the side stand since the weight is distributed over a wider area. The only thing you have to worry about is the side stand retracting but if you park it right it won't. Always park in gear, nose up hill and into the wind.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I used to use the center stand, which was a bit of a pain when you are riding 2-up but a number of folks on the forum and the mechanic at the local BMW shop convinced me that it was an invitation for sending gas to the infamous canister.

Also, although most a flat, areas in front of the pump are prone to get cat litter, sand, or other materials to soak up spills. I almost lost the LT to gravity once taking that most heavy fully loaded high in the air tank off the center stand not paying attention to my feet landing in non-clumping loose clay. Boots grabbed before it went too far.

I have been filling up on the side stand for the past 18 months without a problem.

+1 on not overfilling.

Bill.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
amarider said:
gets dicey when the next gas station is 240 miles away :rotf:

·
Registered
349 Posts
if I can remove the chance of the bike faling over at the gas pump.
I've had my bike fall over from the centerstand. Never had one fall over from the sidestand. I think you're shorting yourself AND increasing the risk.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
+ 1 about not overfilling, first gear, etc. Tip # 101. Park just far enough away from the pump hardware / raised concrete base so that if the worst happens and she does topple over no damage occurs. Using the correct method lifting the LT isn't that hard.
Also she is not a b*#ch. They don't like it and will return like for like. :D
Cheers

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Lose the canister - use the side stand! I fill to the bottom of the filler cap every time! I despise having to take the time to buy gas! I wish someone would stop by my house 2 times a week to fill my vehicles so I wouldn't have to do it myself! I would pay a premium price for the service.

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Thanks for the dialogue. I also hate using the side stand. I enjoyed reading these posts and thank all for their input.

David

·
Registered
154 Posts
The bike will *not* fall over on the side-stand if you adhere to the general parking rules: don't park nose pointing downhill. If you park on the centerstand and nose is downhill, it will also fall over.

So, if it is safe on the centerstand, it's safe on the sidestand. It will NOT fall over. It's a psycological issue. You can even sit on the lady (not the bitch mind you) while she's on the sidestand. It will NOT fall over, as long as you remember to park UPhill. But then again, I have never seen a gasstation with a sloped fillingarea... Did I say that it will NOT fall over?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Paul, if you are more comfortable with using the power centerstand .. By all means why not! As several told you will not be absolutely full but only if you plan a near 300mile non-stop trip should this be a concern!! What is a concern is the canister.. there are tons of posts on this site.. please get rid of it before it bites you.. and filling on the centerstand is not the only way to have issue with the canister!! I also most often use the centerstand on my 05' and have never had an issue! The sidestand is safe when used properly, but the centerstand is a spoiler!! Just fill in a mostly level area.. which is most any fuel stop!

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only time I had a fully fared BMW suffer severe damage was during a wind storm. My K100RT was blown over from its centerstand. This would not have happened had the bike been on the sidestand and positioned properly. A large windshield on a top heavy bike on its centerstand during severe wind spells disaster. When a manufacturer wants to save a few bucks, they leave of the centerstand, not the sidestand!

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a stange thread for me. I only use my centerstand when my bike is put away in the garage, otherwise I only use my sidestand. I've been doing this for years, thousands of miles, and the thought of her falling over hasn't occurred to me. Most of the bikes I've owned over the years have only had sidestands, no centerstand, so that is the habit I have developed. Is falling off the sidestand a common occurence? I feel like the bike is pretty stable on the sidestand.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bripurvis said:
Is falling off the sidestand a common occurence? .
Must be just me :) as I feel unstable on the side stand. :crybaby:

Maybe I am using the automatic center-stand as a crutch. (no pun intended)

It just seems that every time I go to gas up and am using the side stand she wants to roll and she always feels awkward.

I have a ride that requires 6-7 gas stops next week so I will see if I can get more confortable with the side stand.

Or maybe just use the center stand and fell more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would bet money that the vast majority of center stand filler uppers are 2005 model year and later bikes. Those of us who have to stand on the horn for the center stand in order to put it up on the CS are more likely to use the side stand........... For obvious reasons!

Loren

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Paul,
This my routine at every stop, IF I'm not using the center stand, which I seldom do. Shut off the engine. Lean to the right to let the oil drain. Side stand down, kick it with the inside of my heel to make sure it went all the way. Remove gloves. Check for direction of roll, if any. Ease the LT to rest on the gear. Still leaning right. Kick the side stand again with inside of heel, just to make sure it hasn't moved. Lean to the left til the side stand catches. Swing leg over.

I don't let people or things distract me in my process. I did that once before when my wife followed me in the car to Home Depot. I had a Yamaha FZ-6. She came up while I was parking and started yapping like all women do. I dismounted and the FZ nearly took me to the ground with it! :D A couple of quick steps kept me from being stampeded. The wife didn't let me forget that for a long time. You might say she ran that one into the ground! :histerica That was a first and I hope the last.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts