BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oregon Offers to Pay to Kill, but Not to Treat Cancer Patient

By Tim Waggoner

SALEM, Oregon, June 4, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Lung cancer patient, Barbara Wagner, was recently notified that her oncologist-prescribed medication that would slow the growth of cancer would not be covered by the Oregon Health Plan; the plan, however, she was informed, would cover doctor-assisted suicide should she wish to kill herself.

"Treatment of advanced cancer that is meant to prolong life, or change the course of this disease, is not a covered benefit of the Oregon Health Plan," read the letter notifying Wagner of the health plan's decision.

Wagner says she was shocked by the decision. "To say to someone, we'll pay for you to die, but not pay for you to live, it's cruel," she told the Register-Guard. "I get angry. Who do they think they are?"

This past Monday morning, however, Wagner had reason to rejoice. A representative from the company that manufactures the treatment called the cancer patient to say they would give her the medication for free.

"I am just so thrilled," she said. "I am so relieved and so happy."

Dr. Walter Shaffer, medical director of the state Division of Medical Assistance Programs, which administers the Oregon Health Plan, attempted to defend the health plan's decision. "We can't cover everything for everyone," he said. "We try to come up with polices that provide the most good for the most people." Shaffer then addressed a priority list that had been developed to ration health care. "There's some desire on the part of the framers of this list to not cover treatments that are futile," he said, "or where the potential benefit to the patient is minimal in relation to the expense of providing the care."

According to an AP story on Wagner's case, local oncologists in Oregon have said that, despite the Health Services Commission's assertion that they were just clarifying policies already in place, healthcare practitioners have observed a sizable shift in policy in the way recurrent cancer is treated in the state. Increasingly, say local oncologists, sufferers of recurrent cancer are not receiving coverage for chemotherapy. They are always, however, eligible for state-funded assisted suicide.

Wesley J. Smith, a prominent conservative bioethicist, says that he was not surprised by the events.

"We have been warning for years that this was a possibility in Oregon. Medicaid is rationed, meaning that some treatments are not covered. But assisted suicide is always covered. And now, Barbara Wagner was faced with that very scenario."

Smith also mentioned a similar circumstance that had occurred in the past: "This isn't the first time this has happened either. A few years ago a patient who needed a double organ transplant was denied the treatment but would have been eligible for state-financed assisted suicide."

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/jun/08060402.html

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Morley said:
And people are pushing for nation wide social health care...No thanks.
Actually a social heath care system would be better than what we have. It works quite well in France and very little gets denied.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Actually a social heath care system would be better than what we have. It works quite well in France and very little gets denied.
Ah, but we aren't France. We have almost 5 times the population and no where near their crippling tax rate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
zippy_gg said:

I can't wait to go to my doctor and feel like I am in line at the DMV.

No thanks.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Not only is the system in France NOT a good system, almost everyone in Europe who lives in a country with a socialized health care system has the option to carry a private health care insurance. Of course only the wealthy are able to do so (and most do). So HOW is that a more "Liberal", "Progressive", and "compassionate" system?
I actually had a (young) woman at a clothing store near my home tell me that COMMUNISM is "the" answer, while discussing politics as I was shopping. She works there and SHE brought the discussion around to politics... for once I am innocent of being the one to bring it up... :p She attends CCSU and is taking... wait for it.... Psychology courses.... :histerica :rolleyes:
Her comment was actually "Communism is the answer, however it just hasn't been done correcty YET - it's just always been done by a dictator" ( :histerica :rolleyes: )
The "answer" is that maybe if we weren't spending BILLIONS of dollars on illegal immigrants, BILLIONS on incarceration for people whom do not deserve a second chance, BILLIONS on welfare for perfectly able bodied human beings, BILLIONS on aid to countries where we should NOT be involved... etc. etc. etc..... we could not only afford adequate health care, we would have unrivaled health care. We would have parks with good equipment and adequate staff, a thriving private sector, affordable higher education (that hopefully would NOT promote communism for God's sake) and most likely would be able to achieve this with single income families instead of everyone having to work like indentured servants while our money is pissed away. :mad:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
About the "best" social medicine program I've ever seen (haven't seen them all) would have been waaayyy back in the early 80's...West Germany. The only problem was the wait, unless you were in dire need of attention.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
michman said:
I can't wait to go to my doctor and feel like I am in line at the DMV.

No thanks.
Try going to the Er at any hospital here and see how mant hours before seeing a doctor, unless you are bleeding or unconscious. The entire system needs to be revamped, and keep the insurance out of bossing doctors around.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Morley said:
Ah, but we aren't France. We have almost 5 times the population and no where near their crippling tax rate.
There is a much denser population in France since there aren't any deserts, and if you think we aren't taxed to death in the US you must only be making minimum wages...

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
KMC1 said:
Not only is the system in France NOT a good system, almost everyone in Europe who lives in a country with a socialized health care system has the option to carry a private health care insurance. Of course only the wealthy are able to do so (and most do). So HOW is that a more "Liberal", "Progressive", and "compassionate" system?
Take it form someone who was born and grew up there. I was never denied medical treatment, nor did I ever had to wait 4-5 weeks to get a doctor's appointment as I do in California. I can only speak form experience and not from someone else's tale... [/QUOTE]

KMC1 said:
The "answer" is that maybe if we weren't spending BILLIONS of dollars on illegal immigrants, BILLIONS on incarceration for people whom do not deserve a second chance, BILLIONS on welfare for perfectly able bodied human beings, BILLIONS on aid to countries where we should NOT be involved... etc. etc. etc..... we could not only afford adequate health care, we would have unrivaled health care. We would have parks with good equipment and adequate staff, a thriving private sector, affordable higher education (that hopefully would NOT promote communism for God's sake) and most likely would be able to achieve this with single income families instead of everyone having to work like indentured servants while our money is pissed away. :mad:
I couldn't agree more. Does anyone think McCain is the man to put an end to this?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
zippy_gg said:
There is a much denser population in France since there aren't any deserts, and if you think we aren't taxed to death in the US you must only be making minimum wages...
Population density doesn't figure into this, just sheer numbers. And if you think you are taxed harsly now, try social medicine, that money is going to come from somewhere...your pocket.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Morley said:
NO. None of the choices is going to do a damned thing about it.
Choices? :histerica
There are no choices, just the similar elite factions telling the rest of us how we should live :( :( :( .

Sure wish a second party would show in up is a U.S. election some one of these decades.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
michman said:
I can't wait to go to my doctor and feel like I am in line at the DMV. No thanks.
WTF? I hear the "official" DMV Kameras and appointment system work very well. They even take credit cards, now!....Or was that the "official" post office?.... :confused:
zippy_gg said:
....Does anyone think McCain is the man to put an end to this?
Uummmm we may have been born at night--but not last night! :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
KMC1 said:
I actually had a (young) woman at a clothing store near my home tell me that COMMUNISM is "the" answer, while discussing politics as I was shopping.
Her comment was actually "Communism is the answer, however it just hasn't been done correcty YET - it's just always been done by a dictator"
Paalao must have a sister in this country!

You might remind her the communisum was tried here in 1620 by the Pilgrims. William Bradford was far from being a dictator! They damn near starved to death!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1285981/posts

"Governor Bradford is basically saying that communism failed because of the corrupt nature of humans. People are imperfect and sinful. The utopia Marx and Lenin dreamed of could only work if it were filled with perfect people- and no such infallible people can be found in this world."

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
You just can't make this stuff up!

norriscooper said:
Paalao must have a sister in this country!....
A sister--as in ONLY ONE?! Damn near everyone in Kommyfornia is related to him! :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Take it form someone who was born and grew up there. I was never denied medical treatment, nor did I ever had to wait 4-5 weeks to get a doctor's appointment as I do in California. I can only speak form experience and not from someone else's tale...
I couldn't agree more. Does anyone think McCain is the man to put an end to this?[/QUOTE]

Zippy,

It seems that most in the U.S. are willing to be dependent on big government for their : energy, transportation, military protection, farming, food distribution and a host of other leftist commie policies.
In fact the U.S. government has more power and control over its citizens than most other countries in the world.
However , we have freedom of choice when it comes to health care :histerica .

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
norriscooper said:
Paalao must have a sister in this country!

You might remind her the communisum was tried here in 1620 by the Pilgrims. William Bradford was far from being a dictator! They damn near starved to death!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1285981/posts

"Governor Bradford is basically saying that communism failed because of the corrupt nature of humans. People are imperfect and sinful. The utopia Marx and Lenin dreamed of could only work if it were filled with perfect people- and no such infallible people can be found in this world."
Norris, this is really great information. I wasn't aware of this until your post, so thank you for it!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Oisin said:
It seems that most in the U.S. are willing to be dependent on big government for their : energy, transportation, military protection, farming, food distribution
What country do you live in?
My "energy" is supplied by a private company, not the govt. Transportation? The airlines are owned by the govt.? The bus companies too? Farmers are paid by the govt.? Those are actually govt. co-op farms? Food distribution? The trucking companies and rail lines are run by the govt.? The govt. pays or even subsidizes their fuel costs, insurance, or maintenance costs?

And for military "protection" we should hire mercenaries? What country doesn't have their own military?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Morley said:
What country do you live in?
My "energy" is supplied by a private company, not the govt. Transportation? The airlines are owned by the govt.? The bus companies too? Farmers are paid by the govt.? Those are actually govt. co-op farms? Food distribution? The trucking companies and rail lines are run by the govt.? The govt. pays or even subsidizes their fuel costs, insurance, or maintenance costs?

And for military "protection" we should hire mercenaries? What country doesn't have their own military?
Morley,
I am guessing Oisin lives in Cuba!!!! or Norway!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts