BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my throttle cables yesterday so I wanted to ride today. The wife and I left around 7 AM and headed out to eat breakfast at the Hole in the Wall cafe in Newcastle, Texas. According to the sign in the driveway it's a hangout for fishermen, hunters and other liars. It's an old Dairy Mart drive in ran by a nice old man. The walls are covered with pictures of hunters with their turkeys, deer and wild hogs. We had the Super Breakfast and shared it. It was all both of us could do to finish it.
We left there and headed south on Hwy 16 down by Possum Kingdom Lake and we hit Farm Road 4 at Palo Pinto and rode down almost to Granbury. Outside Granbury I hit Farm Road 1189 north and started working my way north on any farm road I could find. I made it to Saint Jo when I slowed down to merge with eastbound US82. I was headed for Doc's Bar and Grill in Muenster. I wanted a turkey and Swiss with avacado on sourdough. When I got close to the court house I slowed to 30 mph. That's when I heard it............that familiar "womp, womp, womp" that I heard in Grand Junction last September. I was 9 miles from Muenster so I kept going. We ate a nice lunch and headed back to Henrietta on US82. I had about 70 miles to go in order to get home. I made it. I drained the oil and saw the metal on the magnet. I pulled the FD while it was still HOT. It was easy enough. When I opened it up, same thing as before. The cage around the bearing was gathered up in a couple of places. I got 11,800 miles out of this one. The seal is still good.
I'll rebuild it again. I can get the bearing here locally. I'll take a little more time setting this one up and maybe it will last longer. I got 46K out of the first one. I'm gonna run this bike over 100K. When it's right, you can't beat it. It's just too much fun to ride. It's getting ready to turn over 58K. It still has a lot of life in it and there's a lot of roads out there I want to ride.
I'll have to go back and read CharlieVT's post on the FD setup. I'll be back on the road soon......................... :D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Good for you. Great attitude. Even with it's problems, I still haven't seen anything else I want. Where do you get the bearing? I have tried in Houston,but too expensive.

Dan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Your comment said it all... Taking your time and setting it up.... That there if shimmed right will make it last a mighty long time.. Just check the alignments and make sure all is true... All the best to you, keep us informed............Pete

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last time I got the bearing from BMW in Oklahoma City. Just for grins I went to Purvis Bearing here in Wichita Falls and the lady found two bearings. One was $160 locally and one was $300 out of Houston. I'm gonna go see her again for the bearing but I will have to get the shim from OKC I guess............. :D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
rattler50 said:
The last time I got the bearing from BMW in Oklahoma City. Just for grins I went to Purvis Bearing here in Wichita Falls and the lady found two bearings. One was $160 locally and one was $300 out of Houston. I'm gonna go see her again for the bearing but I will have to get the shim from OKC I guess............. :D
I got my last one for $67 from Chicago BMW.

·
Registered
470 Posts
DanMartin said:
I got my last one for $67 from Chicago BMW.
Anyone finally perfect rebuilding these yet? I have a blown one sitting in the garage for about a year now. Would love to go through it for a back-up......

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Somebody link these boys to the video...

If you don't set up the preload right it's not gonna last.

I guess you found this out already...
Good luck with your second rebuild.
Get a dial indicator and set up the preload correctly...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
rattler50 said:
Guess we all know NOT to go to Houston for bearings!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I watched the video just a couple of days ago. Very good and thanks to CharlieVT.

http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv

I looked up these two parts at Chicago BMW the same day I watched the video.

33 12 1 468 899 is the BMW part number for the SKF replacement for the original FAG and is $134.

33 12 1 242 210 is the original FAG and is $75.05.

The number I saw in another post that is on the bearing is 61917 C3.

The bmw part number for the shaft seal is 33127663482 and is $29.17.

What is the thinking from the experts on which bearing is best and is it the same part number for all years? I have a 2001 and want to make sure I order the correct one.

I'm knocking on wood I never need it but I do think I will carry a spare just in case. I may not have the correct shim(s) with me but hopefully having one would just leave the need to find a way to get it on to get home.

Dave

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
I would be a little hesitant in rebuilding it a second time. Knowing that the first rebuild only lasted 11k miles. If you stay within a 100 mile radius of your home, than fine, rebuild it. If it was me, I spend the $900 (?) and put in a new final drive and have piece of mind. Especially once you hit that 10k mark, you will always be wondering just when it will fail (again). When I take a long trip, it is in the back of my mind, but on a rebuild FD, it would be in the FRONT of my mind (something that I do not need while trying to enjoy my trip).
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mtrevelino said:
I would be a little hesitant in rebuilding it a second time. Knowing that the first rebuild only lasted 11k miles. If you stay within a 100 mile radius of your home, than fine, rebuild it. If it was me, I spend the $900 (?) and put in a new final drive and have piece of mind. Especially once you hit that 10k mark, you will always be wondering just when it will fail (again). When I take a long trip, it is in the back of my mind, but on a rebuild FD, it would be in the FRONT of my mind (something that I do not need while trying to enjoy my trip).
Just my $.02.
You do not have a new FD for $900. You will have to spend minimum $1200 for a new FD even with BMW Chicago discount Price. Went through this exact same thinking a year ago when my 99 FD failed. I bought a low mileage used FD for $350. The other one is still sitting in my garage waiting to be rebuilt when I have the time to do it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like your positive attitude, I am hoping to hit 200K on this bike and should make it as I am less than 7K away. Wish it was only drive 2 but it is 4 instead.

1) Front seal would not seal
2) Outer Bearing (little one) spun on shaft
3) Pinion (or what ever its called) started producing metal
4) Final the Inner bearing (the advertised failure)

In 193,000+ have only been left on the roadside due to drive failure and that was #4 and was only 10 miles from home, didn't feel safe limping her any further.

Still the best ride I have ever had and will keep rebuilding till something better arrives.

Sorry should change signature mileage but seems like a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the parts from Chicago BMW. I checked the drive today and the setup. It showed .71mm of slack and the shim I have is .80. That seems to jive with the BMW specs. I'm going to try it one more time. I may carry a spare bearing and seal. In a pinch I could change it without taking the FD off the bike.
The only bearing I could find locally was an SKF for $342. They had a Koyo for $147 but I'll pass on that one. Chicago BMW sells the bearings for less than they can buy them. I'll try this one more time and if it fails again, replace the FD. I'd rather spend that $1200 on some Ohlins or Hyper Pros........ :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
rattler50 said:
I checked the drive today and the setup. It showed .71mm of slack and the shim I have is .80. That seems to jive with the BMW specs. :D
You cannot tell anything from that measurement except how much slack is in the outer race. It tells you nothing about the preload on the failed bearing. Repeat when you get the new bearing on the ring gear and see what you have. I bet it is different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts