BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning out my Western U.S./Canada tour, and am considering taking the ferry from Port Angeles on the Olympic Penninsula to Vancouver, BC to avoid the Tacoma/Seattle/Bellingham loop. The ferry I have schedules/rates on is the M.V. Coho. Anyone have information or insight on this? Recommended? Can I just ride up w/out a reservation? Do I need my own tie down straps?

·
Registered
208 Posts
hmm

Reservations..not sure (due to security risks these days)

You do not need tie downs from what I remember (about 6 years ago)

You will need of course a passport, and MAYBE a proper CANADA insurance card ** (If you have geico you can ask for the yellow card or the CANADA insurance card) or its called "CANADA NON-RESIDENT INTER-PROVINCE MOTOR VEHICLE LIABILITY INSURANCE CARD". I guess they have different Minimums up there. ** It was a law implemented a while back, and the states were not up to snuff with Canada. Now I am pretty sure that your insurnace card should work, but still never hurts to call your insurnace and find out

Well if you get up here shoot me off an email
[email protected]@@comcast.net take off the extra @@

·
Registered
34 Posts
My sister lives on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands and I've taken the ferry from Anacortes to Orcas. I believe the ferry system and boats (ships?) are the same class and are operated by the same folks.

No reservations or tie downs are required. Wait time can be difficult to calculate, but the nice thing is they allow motorcycles to pass to the front of the line & load unload first.

It was a bit daunting at first, but you quickly get the idea. I found the operators to be friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I took the Coho last year. I made reservations to get across the night before. They told me that in summer it sometimes gets full. They provide wooden blocks that you can use to wedge under your bike and they also provide rope for tie downs. Have a great trip to Canada and if you are on Vancouver Island, give me a call and we can arrange something. I have a summer place in Parksville. Ron

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Reservations are recommended during the summer, Especially for the 2 earliest and 2 lastest runs of the day. They have pitiful nylon ropes. Unfortenately you can only tie the bike one direction.(towards the outside wall of the boat) There are no rings in the floor. Its a big boat, But the strait of juan de fuca can be rough at times!!!!! More so in the winter though. You will love it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
PA Ferry info

If you're heading to Vancouver BC, explain is it the city on the mainland or are you going to Victoria on Vancouver Is, BC?

Any ride out to Port Angeles will be beautiful. Be sure to take a side trip up Hurricane Ridge at PA. The Koho is a nice ship and Victoria is a really great city. You might also consider taking 101 north out of Olympia but heading over to Prt Townsend, take the ferry over to Whidbey Is, ride north and pick up I-5 near Mount Vernon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts