BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bike back as salvage today after it fell off of my trailer. The damage is pretty minimal and mostly cosmetic. The only mechanical damage was a broken rear brake line. The bike was not running when it suffered the damage. The bike is not starting. All the correct dash lights light up but I am not getting the fuel pump pressurizing noise and the engine isn't turning over. Is there some kind of tip over sensor that needs to be reset? Is there something in the ABS controller that won't let it start if one of the brake circuits is comprimised? Any other ideas?

All responses will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The bike starter won't turn if the bike is in gear or thinks it is (check neutral switch at shifter, or if the kill switch on the starter button is flipped.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Do you have the factory alarm? Is it engaged? The alarm has a starter interrupt.

Additional thing to check after the other checks: the sidestand switch kill switch and/or its wiring didn't get damaged in the fall(s).

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Mr_G said:
I got my bike back as salvage today after it fell off of my trailer. The damage is pretty minimal and mostly cosmetic. The only mechanical damage was a broken rear brake line. The bike was not running when it suffered the damage. The bike is not starting. All the correct dash lights light up but I am not getting the fuel pump pressurizing noise and the engine isn't turning over. Is there some kind of tip over sensor that needs to be reset? Is there something in the ABS controller that won't let it start if one of the brake circuits is comprimised? Any other ideas?

All responses will be very appreciated.
The lack of fuel pump noise is a clue. Did you check all the fuses? There is a starter interlock on the reverse control, too. The ABS won't stop it, and there is no tip over switch. This I know because when I crashed my bike it kept running while laid over on the left side!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The first time I let mine fall over fuel clogged the carbon canister. It was a while before I could start it at all and then it ran badly until I removed the canister.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On further inspection , there is fuel pump noise when I turn the key. It's a lot quieter then my Suzuki. The side stand switch, kill switch and clutch interlocks checked out fine. I played with the reverse switch to no avail. It appears that everything is working except the starter circuit.

I added the "not starting" info to the salvage auction on Ebay. If it doesn't sell, I will part it out next week.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts