BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 LT with 72,000 miles on it. At 55 mph I'm getting 52 mpg and it runs like a sewing machine. When I get on the interstate and get to 70 mph sometimes it feels like I have a dead cylinder. This only happens occasionally (maybe every 5 to ten days). It will jump sometimes 10 to 15 times. Sometimes it does it with the cruise on but it will also happen when I am holding the throttle. If I get to 80 mph and set the cruise it never misses or if I stay below 65 mph it never misses. It seems to only happen around the 70 mph mark in 5th gear.

I have watched the exhaust when this happens and I don't see any black smoke.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Spark plugs, wires would be the things I would look at first.

later...Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed all the plugs. It only does this when I cruise at 70 mph. Anything faster or slower it performs fine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
Probably not it but worth a check, tug on each of the injector connectors. They lock in place but I failed to get one locked following my clutch job and the bike ran fine below 3,500 and good above 5,000. In between the vibration caused the connector to wiggle and break the connection. Once I snapped it back in place she was smooth all the way to red line.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Check the plug wires closely where they pass through the valve cover. You may have worn into the insulation enough to cause the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts