BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my bottle of isopropyl alchohol on Saturday last and tackled the windscreen problem as advised. Did not make any difference whatsoever, in fact made the problem worse. Should have drunk the alchohol instead. Seems like the only solution is to replace it. The only problem in South Africa is the availablility and will likely have to be a BMW replacement windscreen from Germany. Shudder to think what the price will be. Has there been a thread concerning removing the windscreen?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Geoffrey

Sent you a PM

·
Registered
66 Posts
Plexus...

Ordered some Plexus plastic cleaner yesterday off of ebay (actually 3 cans...the price was right). I'm hoping that this will cure the "fog". From what I've been reading on this site, it seems to be the windshield cleaner of choice.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Most people suggest denatured alchohol.

I use Isopropyl Alchohol.
Here is my regiment.

1) HOT water in a big 32-64oz cup with a few drops of dishwashing soap (Dawn, etc)

2) dip old well washed, soft, terry cloth towel into above mixture

3) scrub well (Need some elbow grease)

4) Dry

5) clean old tshirt dabbed with Isopropyl alchohol and scrub again.
(Again, need plenty of elbow grease)

6) Good to go.

7) repeat about every 3 months.

Hope you get it worked out. If too much trouble, might want to consider a cee-baileys.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I can confirm that the alcohol ( stuff doctors and nurses use ) worked very well for me.

Screen is now back to how it was when new.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
bottled water

After I get the bugs off and the winshield dry, I take a clean tshirt rag and a little bottled water. It takes a lot of buffing, but once the haze is gone, its good for a Michigan trip, bugs, fog, humidity. Only took me three years to figure that out.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
ranks said:
Most people suggest denatured alchohol.

I use Isopropyl Alchohol.
Here is my regiment.

1) HOT water in a big 32-64oz cup with a few drops of dishwashing soap (Dawn, etc)

2) dip old well washed, soft, terry cloth towel into above mixture

3) scrub well (Need some elbow grease)

4) Dry

5) clean old tshirt dabbed with Isopropyl alchohol and scrub again.
(Again, need plenty of elbow grease)

6) Good to go.

7) repeat about every 3 months.

My LT had sat in a guys garage for a year, the shield was completly fogged over I thought it was ruined.
I did the same as above several time over and it came clear as new.
Be sure that the cloths used are well worn and non agressive.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts