BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take a ride this February and I guess Florida is the closest thing to me that'll have decent weather. First choice is always the Smoky Mountains, but don't think thats a good Idea in Feb. Don't mind the cold, but don't want to hit any snow/ice. Are there many good places in Fla. to ride that'll make a trip from MD. worth it? Most of my time spent in Florida has been in Daytona/Ormond beach. I've heard for the most part that Fla. is mostly flat with straight roads. Anyone from Fla have some good routes to suggest?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Some of the back roads of FL thru Gainesville, Ocala, have an occasional curve. They are there but you gotta get off of the I-95,I-75,I-4 etc. Slabs! Key West always interesting if you have not been to the Florida Keys.

There's a member on the K-BIKES.COM, PIRATEJOHN that has a book out for touring FL. Can't say I have read it but some have said it's good. BTW . . . you can get bad weather in FL in Feb. But much better than 'Cane season.

Good luck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jpalamaro said:
Some of the back roads of FL thru Gainesville, Ocala, have an occasional curve. They are there but you gotta get off of the I-95,I-75,I-4 etc. Slabs! Key West always interesting if you have not been to the Florida Keys.

There's a member on the K-BIKES.COM, PIRATEJOHN that has a book out for touring FL. Can't say I have read it but some have said it's good. BTW . . . you can get bad weather in FL in Feb. But much better than 'Cane season.

Good luck!

What kind of bad weather are we talking about?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Sometimes the cold front doesn't come through until February, and it will be wet and windy that day. The couple nights after will be an unbearable 40 degrees or so, with highs in the low 60's. I've heard stories of the high temp not getting above 50, but I think it's another urban legend.

;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hoog62 said:
Sometimes the cold front doesn't come through until February, and it will be wet and windy that day. The couple nights after will be an unbearable 40 degrees or so, with highs in the low 60's. I've heard stories of the high temp not getting above 50, but I think it's another urban legend.

;)

50 degrees is just perfect- Don't even need gloves for that. I'll see how much of Florida is left before planning a trip.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The nice thing about staying somewhere around Ocala, you can explore some of the better roads in Central Florida, reach both coasts in a day, and easily make it to the Tallahassee area for some of the riding around there. If need be, you can hop on a slab and make it back in a couple hours. A1A north of Daytona is a nice cruise, but not at all twisty.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If you ride around the Tallahassee area use 98 near the coast, stop and eat this little town called St. Marks in a hole the wall called "Riverside Cafe".

Key West is a nice ride and there is hole in the wall place called Ceder Key. It is a small town between Tampa and Tallahassee. It was used as a port back went. They make the dock out in the water for the trains to dock up to the boats. Now it has small hotels/motels and food places. Eat at place called "Frogs". It is about 150 miles from Tallahassee south.

·
Registered
434 Posts
FL riding

I've been in the Daytona area for about 5 yrs now, and I've found a group of guys I call the 'Sunshine Boys'. There are about 10 of them, all between 76-83 yrs old, all on big bikes. They refer to me as the kid, and I'm a grandfather.
I've learned many roads from them, and copies notes from a few of them. I've posted them on my bike page for all to enjoy. Take a look
www.geocities.com/dcwchfc/bikepage
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts