BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Fd is rebuilt, cover is on, seal flush with flange, not seated.
But the hard part is getting the splines of the drive shaft lined up, will try again tommorrow.

Also recieved floor boards from Darius, they are also installed.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Eric, are you talking the gear box end of the drive shaft? It was a beast for me too. Just keep plugging away at it and it will eventually slide in. Put it in with a good bump so that the retainer catches. I used a rubber mallet to seat it once I finally got the splines and the drive shaft lined up correctly.

For lube I used the spline lube that you can get at the Honda Shop for the G******gs. So far it is working well.

You might want to put beer on your cheerios in the morning instead of milk in order to put yourself in the right frame of mind!

Loren

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What Loren said: smack that sucker home. If'n you don't, it'll clang like a mother and you'll park your bike, run home for a trailer and haul it back. I know this, you ask? Yes I do! :p

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
:rotf::rotf::rotf: Uh, I mean, sorry to hear of your misfortune!

fpmlt said:
What Loren said: smack that sucker home. If'n you don't, it'll clang like a mother and you'll park your bike, run home for a trailer and haul it back. I know this, you ask? Yes I do! :p

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
MountianMama said:
So my Fd is rebuilt, cover is on, seal flush with flange, not seated.
But the hard part is getting the splines of the drive shaft lined up, will try again tommorrow.

Also recieved floor boards from Darius, they are also installed.
I suspect you are talking about aligning the driveshaft input U-joint with the drive shaft in the swing arm housing. Yes, it can be frustrating.
Going from memory, I have done it something like this.
I support the FD with a couple blocks of wood of the right thickness under the brake rotor so you don't have to hold the FD up by hand for the duration; it gets tiring. Use a light to help see up into the swingarm housing. Visualize alignment of the spline coupling to get them closely lined up, then rotate the FD input shaft using the brake rotor to align the splines while pushing the parts together. It'll slide right together.
Remember to lube the splines (Honda Moly 60 is good.).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
I always have a hard time lining those up. I wad up a rag under the drive shaft end with a loose end hanging out of the swingarm. This supports the drive shaft closer to the center and makes it a bit easier. Once it starts pull the rag out and slide her in.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
jzeiler said:
I always have a hard time lining those up. I wad up a rag under the drive shaft end with a loose end hanging out of the swingarm. This supports the drive shaft closer to the center and makes it a bit easier. Once it starts pull the rag out and slide her in.
As always, J.Z. chimes in with a great tip. Thanks, John. :thumb:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Came home after work, sat down on the concrete with a box and a block, started with the same BS again until the light bulb went on. Snick the damm thing into gear.
I elected to install the rotor after wards because I wanted to torque the cover using the bikes gear as counter.

With it in gear and one wheel stud in place I was able to turn it minutely without the other end turning.Within twenty seconds it slipped in.

I love my torque wrench, so that part is all done. Tonight is date night so tommorrow I will bleed the brakes before putting the wheel back on.

NO Mallets necessary.

PS: Curtis I tried with the second seal and was able to push it in with my thumbs as well, you might surprise yourself.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brakes are bled,
wheel is on
safety strap is off
tools put away,went and got gas, made it back no problems.

The floorboards will take a little getting used to but I can tell that my knees are much happier already, better rear brake action,
Still looking for the pegs
But I like the floorboards Darius, Thanks.

In hindsight the Fd is an easy rebuild.
Thanks again Curtis for your help.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup
7:30 sharp

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One 1000 KM test ride of FD coming up......Arm twisting by Garry Kramer...

As the highway crests at the top of the Highwood Pass, you'll be travelling on the highest highway in Canada (7310 ft). Even in July you can spot patches of snow along the side of the road......

.Trip report to follow....

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Long story short, FD repair successfull.
Every time I stopped I looked at the rear end it, was bone dry, after 1000 KM today, not one drop of oil on the outside.

Also being tested were Darius'es floorboards.
Coming to a full stop is easier, Because I do not have to lift my foot off of the peg.
Starting is easier because foot naturally falls onto floorboard.
and cornering seems to be easier, all because my knees are not cramped.
After 11 hours of riding today I am not complaining.

The LD spanks also seem to perform as advertised.

All in all a good day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts