BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the crown gear ball bearing (61917 c3) and I have been quoted $55AU for the 85 x 110 x 10 genuine BMW seal, $17 each for preload shims. 1 question - the seal appears to be nitrile, has a fancy double lip arrangement on the external wiper and directional flutes on the side of the main sealing lip as well as a directional arrow on the outside face of the seal body. All these features add up to a special seal in my experience. Has anyone used a viton, non genuine seal in this application and had reliable performance ? How do the Oz prices compare with the US ? The seal is definitely special, but is bog standard in dimensions, so I suspect we Aussies are paying a premium. Thoughts, opinions ? regards, Dennis

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Over here they get US$ 31.27 for the seal and the shims are US$ 12

·
Registered
253 Posts
John is accurate. My prices from A&S from this Saturday were similar for the seal. The roller bearings were $85 (approx i dont remember the exact price) and the pivot bearings were $44. I did not buy shims since I wasnt sure of the size that I needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When my final drive packed up and turned a long planned holiday into a disaster I decided to change that troublesome bearing every 10,000 klm,last time I replaced it the shims were spot on with the new bearing and I had used and replaced the oil seal with a standard automotive seal from a local bearing supplier for $20,they had given no problems,the genuine bearing is $173 in Aus,last couple I got from Motorworks in the UK were $49 each plus postage.$70 or so to replace the bearing and seal is cheap insurance compared to the cost of a breakdown a long way from home,I know from experience .

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Pedro said:
When my final drive packed up and turned a long planned holiday into a disaster I decided to change that troublesome bearing every 10,000 klm,last time I replaced it the shims were spot on with the new bearing and I had used and replaced the oil seal with a standard automotive seal from a local bearing supplier for $20,they had given no problems,the genuine bearing is $173 in Aus,last couple I got from Motorworks in the UK were $49 each plus postage.$70 or so to replace the bearing and seal is cheap insurance compared to the cost of a breakdown a long way from home,I know from experience .
Not that I blame you for changing the bearing considering that the failure caused a holiday disaster but isn't changing the final drive bearing every engine oil change a bit excessive?

Robert

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input. New genuine seal and O ring ordered this morning. FD reassembled, preload was 0.15 mm too much, which was lucky for me as the 2 shims were 0.4 and 0.15 mm. I noted also that when the FD cases were assembled at the factory some dirt had been trapped between the mating surfaces in 2 places. Very disappointing for a factory assembly. Permatex will be used between these mating surfaces to seal against oil leakage into the (8) bolt cavities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts