BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sent my failed crown bearing to Curtis for repair. Included instructions were:
Repair cage
Restore races
Clean and polish my balls - they look like they've been drug through the dirt!
Return ASAP with proper shims

If this all goes as well as expected, I should have my repaired bearing up and running in no time, and I'll post on how well it does.

OH CURTIS - ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Frank now don't go tempting me to ask that question again......................

Not sure if part of that could be in a picture here anyway :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
fpmlt said:
... Clean and polish my balls - they look like they've been drug through the dirt!... OH CURTIS - ;) ;)
Ahem...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I just received a nice note and a bearing in the mail from fpmlt requesting that I refurbish his bearing. His specific request is that I "repair the cage, restore the races, and..." "polish his balls." (Hey, Frank! about that avatar........)

Actually, I asked fpmlt to send me the failed bearing because I wanted to cut it open and inspect. Interesting history: dealer replaced bearing at 36K just prior to expiration of PO's warranty, then at 68K fpmlt noticed roughness and decided to open and inspect the bearing. He found a broken retainer.

I'll be posting pics in this thread after I've cut the bearing open to inspect the races. I suspect that this is good evidence that just having a bearing replaced by a BMW Authorized Service Dealership is no assurance against future failure. Who knows if the rebuild included a careful measurement of preload required, but the bearing went 68-36=32K miles before it failed. Hey, I figure if you just throw a new bearing in every 25K miles you'll never have a failure. Or... if you carefully measure for preload shim thickness you can go 100K or more without a problem.

Frank, thanks for sending the bearing. Pics to come. (And change that avatar.....)

For those of you who have never ridden the Green Mountians of Vermont and haven't registered for CCR.... whattar you waitin fer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts