BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Favorite Roads

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  beartooth 
#1 ·
What is your favorite roads/rides in the US? Why?

(Not Dragon's Tail either)

#2 ·
Back roads from Ft. Worth Texas to Fredricksburg TX...67 to 281.
Travel thru Glen Rose, Hico, Lampasas, Luckenbach, into Fredericksburg.
Beautiful Texas back roads, lots of wide open spots, treed areas, excellent local foods, cool historical stops along the way...

#3 ·
I like US 129 (Blood Mountain) in Georgia from Cleveland (Turner's Corner) to Blairsville going either direction. It's a well maintained road that climbs and descends. It has good visibility in curves with big sweeping curves that you can really lean into.

I like the Blue Ridge Parkway for obvious reasons, it's a road meant to enjoy and take your time on.

I like A1A from south of St. Augustine to Ormond Beach where you're riding right along the beach.

I like the Cherohala Skyway for the curves and views.

Wolf Pen Gap RD (GA HWY 180) between US 129 and Georgia HWY 60 but it's been getting dangerous the past few years with bikes passing in curves and REALLY pushing the limits of safety and saneness.

Georgia HWY 2 & 52 across Fort Mountain between Ellijay and Chatworth. The road climbs and descends with nice curves and switchbacks.

:bmw:

#4 ·
So far, most of the roads around the Tail of the dragon, and US route 219 in Virginia. All awesome to ride and very picturesque!

#5 ·
Mulholland Dr, Topanga Cyn, Kanaan Dume Rd, PCH in SoCal for twisties and breathtaking views.

Talimena Scenic Highway in AR for vistas and twisties.

County roads north and west of Denton towards Illinois Bend, Spanish Fort, and other towns along the way, over the Indian Bridge into OK, and ending up at McGehee Catfish (formerly T40) just outside marietta for more catfish than you can eat before heading back.

#7 ·
blueknightga6 said:
I like US 129 (Blood Mountain) in Georgia from Cleveland (Turner's Corner) to Blairsville going either direction. It's a well maintained road that climbs and descends. It has good visibility in curves with big sweeping curves that you can really lean into.

I like the Blue Ridge Parkway for obvious reasons, it's a road meant to enjoy and take your time on.

I like A1A from south of St. Augustine to Ormond Beach where you're riding right along the beach.

I like the Cherohala Skyway for the curves and views.

Wolf Pen Gap RD (GA HWY 180) between US 129 and Georgia HWY 60 but it's been getting dangerous the past few years with bikes passing in curves and REALLY pushing the limits of safety and saneness.

Georgia HWY 2 & 52 across Fort Mountain between Ellijay and Chatworth. The road climbs and descends with nice curves and switchbacks.

:bmw:
Ditto

I might also add Hwy 28 from Warwoman in GA all the up to Deals Gap.

#8 ·
I stayed in Blairsville GA last fall and couldn't get enough of the Blood mountain run on 129!! I rode it several times. It really was fun. My favorite road so far. There wasn't too much traffic, the road is in good shape, and the corners are awesome!!

I really enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherahola skyway, these roads are in good shape, lots of curves and beautiful views!!

#9 ·
dthogey said:
I stayed in Blairsville GA last fall and couldn't get enough of the Blood mountain run on 129!! I rode it several times. It really was fun. My favorite road so far. There wasn't too much traffic, the road is in good shape, and the corners are awesome!!

I really enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherahola skyway, these roads are in good shape, lots of curves and beautiful views!!
Do you mean like this on Blood Mountain?

Attachments

#10 ·
This one is a must Hwy 60.
Get on just around Charleston WVA and go crazy to Lewisburg and White Sulphur Springs. Be warned 2 lane no shoulder and a couple places where one lane traffic takes precedence. There are rivers, a dam a mini waterfall and large boulders of land in the river. Did I mention a coal yard with conveyors and troughs like in the dirty harry movie. Still keep your eyes on the road.
ride safe :bmw:

#12 ·
beartooth said:
Morning run up the Beartooth Highway, lunch in Cooke City, MT.
Return via the Chief Joseph Highway, a two fer special that can't be beat. The Beartooth, called "the most beautiful highway in the country" by Charles Kuralt. :D
You got to be kidding.
Where is the road or perhaps were is you bike in the picture. Snow tires maybe :histerica :histerica beautiful country for skiing.

#13 ·
billsmith said:
You got to be kidding.
Where is the road or perhaps were is you bike in the picture. Snow tires maybe :histerica :histerica beautiful country for skiing.
Save the histerica, the joke's on you. Pictures taken June 11, about a week after opening day last year.

http://www.beartoothhighway.com/

Bruce :D :D

Attachments

#14 ·
beartooth said:
Save the histerica, the joke's on you. Pictures taken June 11, about a week after opening day last year.

http://www.beartoothhighway.com/

Bruce :D :D
Not too familiar with that part of the country.
So when do you ride pretty close to the 4th of July. Snow on the ground in June amazing. And I thought Chicago was cold. I checked out that link and it really spells it out. Looks good. Great country for a bear though. How long is the pass usually open and best time for the 70-80 degree crowd.

#15 ·
billsmith said:
Not too familiar with that part of the country.
So when do you ride pretty close to the 4th of July. Snow on the ground in June amazing. And I thought Chicago was cold. I checked out that link and it really spells it out. Looks good. Great country for a bear though. How long is the pass usually open and best time for the 70-80 degree crowd.
Bill,

Opening day is usually Memorial Day depending on Spring snows, closing maybe in October. As for 70-80 that is rare with the summit at 11,000+ feet. I have seen riders in light weight summer gear but they don't tarry at the top too long. June, July, August, and early September work well with 40-50's at the summit and 80-90's in the low lands. The Chief Joseph into Wyoming is open all year to the intersection with the Beartooth. It's a popular snowmobile spot in the winter.

Bears seem to be more prevalent in Yellowstone Park at a lower elevation with more food. I was in Chicago visiting my daughter before the BMW Rally in West Bend, WI; nearly heat stroked in full gear at 95 degrees in the stop and go traffic. You do have more challenging driving there. Plan to come this way when it warms up.

Bruce :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.