BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
No...

When did you get your bike? Was it a pre-order or later? Do you leave it out in the sun? I've read that a few others have had a problem with the heat, but so far, my bike has been almost flawless. Mine was about #350, received it last July and it now has almost 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
jetsnboats said:
I have had to replace both switch modules on the handlebars..left one for failure of the cruise control switch, right for failure of the start switch..any one else experiencing this?
Not to worry I had my left module changed after 2 months ownership because headlight red switch was not working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have felt helpless out on a trip twice now and the starter switch doesn't seem to contact properly and today it killed the motor totally while driving. Only indicator was a DTC warning??? I suppose the mode switch is crapping out also.
I tried to push START.... NO GO. When it did finally engage returned home directly...
Switch presently doesn't function anymore. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
A few weeks ago replaced my left switch cluster due to the left signal control only working intermittently. At first I thought it was due to being out in the hot sun but did it several times in the garage as well. Was heading out on holidays in 2 days so my dealer pulled it off the show room bike as it was on back order. Also getting my starter replaced as a few times you could hear it engage but would not turn over the engine, now I am wondering if this was a starter switch issue?

2012 Blue K1600GTL
Randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The latest version of this story, after the bike has been at the dealers for 2 weeks(!!!),Is that BMW of NA's computer diagnosis software system is corrupted, and cannot diagnose any of the new K bikes. Dealer is waiting on a fix from BMW that just doesn't seem to come. Right now, dealer has no idea what is wrong with the switches.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
jetsnboats said:
The latest version of this story, after the bike has been at the dealers for 2 weeks(!!!),Is that BMW of NA's computer diagnosis software system is corrupted, and cannot diagnose any of the new K bikes. Dealer is waiting on a fix from BMW that just doesn't seem to come. Right now, dealer has no idea what is wrong with the switches.
What Dealer are you using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been waiting sometime for the starter/kill switch assy. to
arrive from Germany. There is NO parts stock in Canada.
I can cross into USA and within 5 hrs have the part in hand,
but no reibursement from BMW Canada.
FYI in the USA, BMW North America out of New Jersey
have a total of 66 stock of these switch assy??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well that has to be one of the dumbest things I ever heard! 66 switches in New Jersey, but they can't send one of them to Canada to get a bike up and running. Unless of course they know something at BMWNA we don't !!!!???

Rick

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting... must use the same "cluster" on the RT. I have a 2012 RT and the left cluster has been replaced twice. (bought bike in December, have 16,000 miles). 1st time windshield would not go up and down, last time, no high beams, no emergency and RES of the cruise quit working... Luckily the dealer can get one in a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My BMW horror story continues. At the beginning of September this forum heard of the
GTL failed due to the starter switch cluster. Ottawa Motorrad received the GTL on Sept. 6th and repaired a lot of outstanding warranty issues; leaky Front Brake Master cylinder, Engine oil dipstick recall, CPU updates, inspection for waterpump leakage, Front suspension noise issues.
Last week BMW Canada finally got involved as to confirm to Ottawa the switch cluster would only take 3 more days.
Well this is 29 days in total since the GTL has failed.
The GTL has been at a dealership 23 days in total and no hope in site.

Any K1600 riders who dare to take the chance and ride North of the border, you as I
have NO Parts support from BMW Canada while BMW NA basks in surplus parts.

BMW should be made obligated to return your bike to a USA dealership if a breakdown
would to occur. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
206 Posts
jetsnboats said:
I have had to replace both switch modules on the handlebars..left one for failure of the cruise control switch, right for failure of the start switch..any one else experiencing this?
Hi just had to replace left switch module for second time.
This time, LEFT/RIGHT indicator switch failure.
It was replaced within 3 days with no discussion.
The dealer even had the chance to have a 650GT scooter for me to return home. Not a bad scooter... but still... just a scooter :)

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
xtoseconomides said:
Hi just had to replace left switch module for second time.
This time, LEFT/RIGHT indicator switch failure.
It was replaced within 3 days with no discussion.
The dealer even had the chance to have a 650GT scooter for me to return home. Not a bad scooter... but still... just a scooter :)
Well.... my first failure in a year and 8,000 miles! Bike #385. Left turn signal went out on my K1600GTL today. I called the local dealer, who is a sponsor of this site, Euro Cycles of Tampa bay, and it was simply, bring it in next week (my first opportunity) and we'll swap it out. Maybe get my digital speedometer done at the same time!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dano,

Sorry to see you've run into trouble, though you've had a better run of luck than some others here. According to my dealer the unit's been replaced with a beefed up one. BMW hasn't said anything of course but there's a new part number. Make sure you get that.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
My Left Switch cluster is going to be replaces in 2 weeks as the CC switch is failing. The dealer has the part on hand but can not get me in before next week to replace it. Not a big deal as it does not keep me from riding.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts