BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking through the multiple threads and searching online, but at the risk of rehashing this topic as there aren't any recent discussions I can find and most phones were smaller than mine, I am looking for a reasonable solution for a phone mount for my 2001 k1200LT. I do like the accessibility of having the phone either on the stingray or even thought the shelf Kirk made in his video or a copilot would work very nicely. Does anyone have a mount lying around they would like to part with? I have a iphone 6 plus so it is relatively large. Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I came up with a very inexpensive and very usable mounting for my iPhone 7plus.. i'm enclosing a picture. I used the RamMount RAM-HOL-PD2U. Used a small aluminum peice of metal bent to fit. Secured it with extra strength double sided tape, and mounted the ram mount with the mount screws into the aluminum as seen in the pictures. I velcrowed the retractable cable on the back and installed a cheap amazon usb charger also as seen. Works great and very easy to control. Use a usb blue tooth to the stereo head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe. I really like the idea! Simple, inexpensive, and functional. Do you find keeping water out of the USB outlet an issue with it being mounted vertically?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been looking through the multiple threads and searching online, but at the risk of rehashing this topic as there aren't any recent discussions I can find and most phones were smaller than mine, I am looking for a reasonable solution for a phone mount for my 2001 k1200LT. I do like the accessibility of having the phone either on the stingray or even thought the shelf Kirk made in his video or a copilot would work very nicely. Does anyone have a mount lying around they would like to part with? I have a iphone 6 plus so it is relatively large. Thanks!
Not what you're looking for but I just put my phone (Iphone 6) in the stingray and have it plugged into the stereo via a cassette adapter. I can run navigation and music through the stereo.If needed it's easy to open the stingray to take a look at the map or change music while I'm rolling down the road. I also ran a USB charging line into the stingray so I can charge the phone while I'm riding.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Not what you're looking for but I just put my phone (Iphone 6) in the stingray and have it plugged into the stereo via a cassette adapter. I can run navigation and music through the stereo.If needed it's easy to open the stingray to take a look at the map or change music while I'm rolling down the road. I also ran a USB charging line into the stingray so I can charge the phone while I'm riding.
Not my cup of tea as an open stingray gets in the way of the handlebars.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I am not at a place where I can post a picture of it but I used a RAM mount suction cup with the round plate adhesive on the BMW emblem on the stingray for my GPS. Of course I use a tether in case the suction cup lets go.

https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Lock-Suction-Base-inch-Ball/dp/B0061QO332/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475611650&sr=8-2&keywords=ram+mount+suction+cup

I added a cigarette lighter accessory plug on the right side dash as I don't have the security system so no LED in the way there. All easily removable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had thought about this, but my problem is my radio doesn't currently work (it didn't when I got it). I looked into buying another factory radio but they are really expensive and too many folks say they are junk anyway. I did think about removing the tape player and install a waterproof radio in the stingray like I have seen anthers do here (I think they are using the BMW M3 install kit), or get a bluetooth helmet and stream directly to the helmet. Either way I would like to have access to the controls.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Truthfully, If it's raining that bad i disconnect the usb and close the cover. also, i try not to do to much heavy rain riding.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I had thought about this, but my problem is my radio doesn't currently work (it didn't when I got it). I looked into buying another factory radio but they are really expensive and too many folks say they are junk anyway. I did think about removing the tape player and install a waterproof radio in the stingray like I have seen anthers do here (I think they are using the BMW M3 install kit), or get a bluetooth helmet and stream directly to the helmet. Either way I would like to have access to the controls.
Take a look at the RAM mounts available. There are some good solutions there that might suit your needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had considered those ram mount options but found that the one on the stingray completely blocked the instrument panel which to me was unacceptable. The ones on the handle bars (which i used for a while) wasn't user friendly. So I made my own as shown above

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had considered those ram mount options but found that the one on the stingray completely blocked the instrument panel which to me was unacceptable. The ones on the handle bars (which i used for a while) wasn't user friendly. So I made my own as shown above

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Gauges!!, We don't need no gauges!!! >:)

Reactions: BeemerJoe
1 - 13 of 13 Posts