BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to say thank you to all who helped me during my run with the LT. The run is over however as I traded in the LT on Friday for another bike on Friday. While I found riding the LT to be OK, I never really did get into it like y'all. Maybe it was that dang stock seat, but I just could not get comfortable. It sure is a great bike though and I wish all of you the best.

I would specifically like to thank Jay Zieler and Sheldan for their help while I was working on the bike. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much had I not had your help.

I do have some leftover stuff from the LT I will be selling. I will list this on the classifieds as well, but If y'all don't mind I thought I would put it here as well. Hopefully some of y'all can put these things to good use:

Beemer bags - the whole set. Both side cases (With the CD changer), top case and rack mounted bag (no rain cover) - $200.
6 pack of unopened Bosh oil filters and crush washer set (from Beemer boneyard) - $30
Set of four new Bosch Sparkplugs - $20
two sets of Front brake pads (Galfer moel EBC FA294) - $40 for both or $20/pair (these are opened but not used - I used them as spacers earlier this year when I changed the wheel circuit).
Beemer Boneyard brake fluid funnel for flush (used once) - $40
New Front Battle Ax tire (straight from SW Moto) - $75
Shop manual CD (Real deal in the case. This is for the 1999 to 2004 model because the dealer gave me the wrong one when I bought the bike) $50

PM me if you are interested or have questions.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
163 Posts
mowoc said:
I traded in the LT on Friday for another bike on Friday.
So...uh................what didja get (on Friday)???
We may need pics too. :wave

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a fine V-Twin american made motorcycle.

No, not that manufacturer - I got a Honda VTX. :D

I bought the 1800 CC "touring" model. I have some work ahead of me as I am going to convert it into a true interstate touring bike. I am looking forward to it as there are plenty of parts lying around to make the conversion.

The bike is not quite as stable as the LT at high speeds, but the motor is just as solid. The mainenance is easier too. I think I may miss the 90+ MPH cruising on the LT, but I don't think I will miss that complicated maintenance.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Just because you DO NOT have the LT, DOES NOT mean you have to go away. Many folks here do not even have a BMW anymore & still visit.

:worthless

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
katnapinn said:
Just because you DO NOT have the LT, DOES NOT mean you have to go away. Many folks here do not even have a BMW anymore & still visit.
+1 on what Steve says.

Have fun with that big Honda, and don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I always admired your devotion to your machines. I have never ridden a more stable motorcycle at speed in my life. I just can't belive that for 24k they can't get a comfortable seat on the dang thing. :confused:

I will post some pictures shortly as I am cleaning out my garage today.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hope you like the seat on the honda... :D

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
D.Kinsey said:
Hope you like the seat on the honda... :D
I know the seat on my last Honda (2002 750 Shadow ACE) was VERY bad. I never road more then 200 mile at a time on it because of it.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
If you change the seat on the VTX, make sure you check out Mustang. They make a wonderful touring seat for most cruisers. It has a nice pocket to sit in and it's a nice looking seat for a fair price. Maybe we'll see you in Colorado some day. I love riding the Rockies............... :D

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
katnapinn said:

:worthless
As much as it pains me to say this...I have to agree with Stevie :D ...I am not riding a BMW anymore and they still let me in to play. ;)

I always switched to Corbin seats on my Wings, continued the practice on my HD, both my LT's, and again on my current HD. None of the factory seats seem to work for me.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
mowoc said:
I wanted to say thank you to all who helped me during my run with the LT. The run is over however as I traded in the LT on Friday for another bike on Friday. While I found riding the LT to be OK, I never really did get into it like y'all. Maybe it was that dang stock seat, but I just could not get comfortable. It sure is a great bike though and I wish all of you the best.

I would specifically like to thank Jay Zieler and Sheldan for their help while I was working on the bike. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much had I not had your help.

I do have some leftover stuff from the LT I will be selling. I will list this on the classifieds as well, but If y'all don't mind I thought I would put it here as well. Hopefully some of y'all can put these things to good use:

Beemer bags - the whole set. Both side cases (With the CD changer), top case and rack mounted bag (no rain cover) - $200.
6 pack of unopened Bosh oil filters and crush washer set (from Beemer boneyard) - $30
two sets of Front brake pads (Galfer moel EBC FA294) - $40 for both or $20/pair (these are opened but not used - I used them as spacers earlier this year when I changed the wheel circuit).
Shop manual CD (Real deal in the case. This is for the 1999 to 2004 model because the dealer gave me the wrong one when I bought the bike) $50

I'll take the front brake pads

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your title line says it all!!!!!!!!!!!! :Farewell my friends, I am off"

You have friends here who have helped you because of WHO you are - not WHAT you ride. I have always believed that the greatest assets of this site are the people, not the machines.

Granted, similar circumstances regarding vehicle ownership may have facilitated the gathering of these personalities. Their individual traits defined if they would be liked, or only tolerated by those on the site. You seem to me to be one of the ones who is liked, and I hope you will stay in touch to let us know how the move to the VTX works out for you.

Regardless, I wish you all the best with the new bike, and I hope it turns out to be everything you desire in a ride.

Stay safe,

John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am sorry for the delay in getting back to all of you - my home network crashed today as well. :mad:

I had to replace my router since it stopped working as advertised.

First let me thank all of you for your kindness. I likely will hand around as I do admire the love of the LT you folks have. If I ever get it back I will buy another one - just not new. That depreciation hit really hurts.

I do have to change out the seat on the honda. Fortunately the bike was only 8k not 20k. It might seem trivial but I dont have as much of an issue on a 8k bike as I do on a 20k bike.

I am using a guy named allen at Mean City Cycles. If y'all are looking for a competent seat fix for the stock seat I have to recommend allen. I have had another seat done already, and they only run from $40 to $150 plus shipping. He does first rate work in my book and he will get both my seat and the passenger pillion for the new ride.

BTW, I sold a bunch of stuff today before the crash. The remaining list is below:

I will post some pictures of the new ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also sent a PM on some of the items.

John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope I responded to all PM's. Someone indicate interest in the manual, so I am down to the beemer bags and the brake fluid funnel.

If I did not respond it is because I am aging and my mind is going, not because I do not like you. :D

Thanks again - pictures tomorrow I promise.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Dont know what happened but my reply never posted. I'll take the front brakes. PM me and we can make payment arrangements

Stan Holm

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm probably gonna have to have that funnel.

John

·
Registered
475 Posts
mowoc said:

As much as I love the LT, I understand this is not a bike for everybody.

Good luck with the VTX!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts