BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for the fairing screws? I assume I can get them from the dealer, but they are probably pricey and I need only a few to have on hand. I checked already with Beemer Boneyard and will check ebay, but wanted to see if any supporting vendors sell them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
There was an outfit that made specific pre-packed stainless steel fastener kits for various bikes (I bought it once for my old K12RS) - but I cannot find any info now, maybe others will chime in.

Failing that, try Bike Bolts .

Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I purchased these from our local hardware store-stainless steel and shiny, but what the heck? They have been doing just fine so far for two years now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
I too bought mine at a local hardware store, but I got chrome ones and used those where they're exposed, and kept the others as spares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
If you elect to go aftermarket check your new screws for iron content using a magnet. I would suggest the use of anti-seize compound regardless when using any after-market screw. As an alternative, you can find out it's a good idea the hard way like I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I used mcmaster-carr. Quick shipping, and they had the stainless size that matched that I was looking for.

McMaster-Carr link

Hopefully this link works and gets you close!

Kirk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jgadget said:
There are really nice stainless steel screw kits available for $49 on ebay. They look nice compared tot he stock screws. They come sorted and take minutes to swap out. Here is a link to a current auction on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-K1200LT-Stainless-Steel-Screw-Kit-Bolt-Kit-/230466890888?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a8e5ac88#ht_4722wt_1134
I already ordered some from the dealer, but this likely would have been a better deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
$49 will buy you 8-12 screws from BMW dealership.......

The ebay kit has 127 fasteners in it for the same price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
This is one of the reasons why we have have a crappy dealer network- BMW Owners (myself included) do a horrible job of supporting the dealer.

In order to save ...say 5 cents a screw, we won't visit the dealer. These small purchases help to keep the lights on in dealerships. Throw them a bone- buy your screws, cleaners, farkles, etc every once and a while.

When you're local dealer goes out of business, don't whine about it here. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
RVB1019 said:
This is one of the reasons why we have have a crappy dealer network- BMW Owners (myself included) do a horrible job of supporting the dealer.

In order to save ...say 5 cents a screw, we won't visit the dealer. These small purchases help to keep the lights on in dealerships. Throw them a bone- buy your screws, cleaners, farkles, etc every once and a while.

When you're local dealer goes out of business, don't whine about it here. :p
Based on wa1200lt's cost estimate Bones are about all we'd have left if we bought the little things from the stealer....8-12 screws would cost $4.08 - $6.13 each, or a total of $518.16 - 778.51. In actuality, the screws range from $0.80-$1.20 at MAX BMW's Fiche web site.

OEM = $127 at $0.80 ea to $152.40 at $1.20 ea

If you're willing to toss clams for just a few replacements or spares, I'd go with the dealer....if you're going to do an entire replacement (complete set of 127 screws), I'd probably go with third party manufacturers or suppliers.....if I ever need to buy the kit, it'll be from the likes of cfell's or wa1200lt's recommendation.

BTW....I like your avitar pic.... :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
+1 for BlauBeeMr....
While I have a local stealer, I would change brands before I purchased ANYTHING from them. Service sucks, staff is rude and the prices are through the roof (but you get free soda!!!). Others are good, and I would do on-line purchases to support them IF the price is in-line with aftermarket items. I do realise that sometimes OEM is better... :cool:

RVB1019 said:
This is one of the reasons why we have have a crappy dealer network- BMW Owners (myself included) do a horrible job of supporting the dealer.

In order to save ...say 5 cents a screw, we won't visit the dealer. These small purchases help to keep the lights on in dealerships. Throw them a bone- buy your screws, cleaners, farkles, etc every once and a while.

When you're local dealer goes out of business, don't whine about it here. :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shoswell said:
+1 for BlauBeeMr....
While I have a local stealer, I would change brands before I purchased ANYTHING from them. Service sucks, staff is rude and the prices are through the roof (but you get free soda!!!). Others are good, and I would do on-line purchases to support them IF the price is in-line with aftermarket items. I do realise that sometimes OEM is better... :cool:
That is unfortunate. I have been quite happy with my "local" dealer. They are pretty friendly, helpful, have free coffee, a showroom dog and often fresh cookies. My only problem is that they are 120 miles away and this is the closest dealer to me. If they were within 20 miles I would be one happy camper!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Let me know if you find the torx head with the flange just like the BMW screw. I have yet to find an exact aftermarket replacement.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,181 Posts
Yup those are purty screws but the heads are smaller and don't spread the load as well as the stock ones. There has to be a good source out there some where for torx with the large head surface
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
jzeiler said:
Yup those are purty screws but the heads are smaller and don't spread the load as well as the stock ones. There has to be a good source out there some where for torx with the large head surface
You are correct, this is why I also used stainless washers to give the screw a bigger crown.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
I have looked hi and lo for black oxide, stainless steel, oversized head with T-25 Torx drive most likely this is a BMW screw specification and no others seem to handle it - I have tried all the nut and bolt houses no luck . . .
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top