BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for the fairing screws? I assume I can get them from the dealer, but they are probably pricey and I need only a few to have on hand. I checked already with Beemer Boneyard and will check ebay, but wanted to see if any supporting vendors sell them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
There was an outfit that made specific pre-packed stainless steel fastener kits for various bikes (I bought it once for my old K12RS) - but I cannot find any info now, maybe others will chime in.

Failing that, try Bike Bolts .

Hope this helps

·
Registered
338 Posts
I purchased these from our local hardware store-stainless steel and shiny, but what the heck? They have been doing just fine so far for two years now...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I too bought mine at a local hardware store, but I got chrome ones and used those where they're exposed, and kept the others as spares.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you elect to go aftermarket check your new screws for iron content using a magnet. I would suggest the use of anti-seize compound regardless when using any after-market screw. As an alternative, you can find out it's a good idea the hard way like I did.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used mcmaster-carr. Quick shipping, and they had the stainless size that matched that I was looking for.

McMaster-Carr link

Hopefully this link works and gets you close!

Kirk

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jgadget said:
There are really nice stainless steel screw kits available for $49 on ebay. They look nice compared tot he stock screws. They come sorted and take minutes to swap out. Here is a link to a current auction on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-K1200LT-Stainless-Steel-Screw-Kit-Bolt-Kit-/230466890888?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a8e5ac88#ht_4722wt_1134
I already ordered some from the dealer, but this likely would have been a better deal!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
$49 will buy you 8-12 screws from BMW dealership.......

The ebay kit has 127 fasteners in it for the same price.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This is one of the reasons why we have have a crappy dealer network- BMW Owners (myself included) do a horrible job of supporting the dealer.

In order to save ...say 5 cents a screw, we won't visit the dealer. These small purchases help to keep the lights on in dealerships. Throw them a bone- buy your screws, cleaners, farkles, etc every once and a while.

When you're local dealer goes out of business, don't whine about it here. :p

·
Registered
530 Posts
RVB1019 said:
This is one of the reasons why we have have a crappy dealer network- BMW Owners (myself included) do a horrible job of supporting the dealer.

In order to save ...say 5 cents a screw, we won't visit the dealer. These small purchases help to keep the lights on in dealerships. Throw them a bone- buy your screws, cleaners, farkles, etc every once and a while.

Based on wa1200lt's cost estimate Bones are about all we'd have left if we bought the little things from the stealer....8-12 screws would cost $4.08 - $6.13 each, or a total of $518.16 - 778.51. In actuality, the screws range from $0.80-$1.20 at MAX BMW's Fiche web site.

OEM = $127 at $0.80 ea to $152.40 at $1.20 ea

If you're willing to toss clams for just a few replacements or spares, I'd go with the dealer....if you're going to do an entire replacement (complete set of 127 screws), I'd probably go with third party manufacturers or suppliers.....if I ever need to buy the kit, it'll be from the likes of cfell's or wa1200lt's recommendation.

BTW....I like your avitar pic.... :D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
+1 for BlauBeeMr....
While I have a local stealer, I would change brands before I purchased ANYTHING from them. Service sucks, staff is rude and the prices are through the roof (but you get free soda!!!). Others are good, and I would do on-line purchases to support them IF the price is in-line with aftermarket items. I do realise that sometimes OEM is better... :cool:

RVB1019 said:

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shoswell said:
+1 for BlauBeeMr....
While I have a local stealer, I would change brands before I purchased ANYTHING from them. Service sucks, staff is rude and the prices are through the roof (but you get free soda!!!). Others are good, and I would do on-line purchases to support them IF the price is in-line with aftermarket items. I do realise that sometimes OEM is better... :cool:
That is unfortunate. I have been quite happy with my "local" dealer. They are pretty friendly, helpful, have free coffee, a showroom dog and often fresh cookies. My only problem is that they are 120 miles away and this is the closest dealer to me. If they were within 20 miles I would be one happy camper!

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Let me know if you find the torx head with the flange just like the BMW screw. I have yet to find an exact aftermarket replacement.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Yup those are purty screws but the heads are smaller and don't spread the load as well as the stock ones. There has to be a good source out there some where for torx with the large head surface

·
Registered
338 Posts
jzeiler said:
Yup those are purty screws but the heads are smaller and don't spread the load as well as the stock ones. There has to be a good source out there some where for torx with the large head surface
You are correct, this is why I also used stainless washers to give the screw a bigger crown.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I have looked hi and lo for black oxide, stainless steel, oversized head with T-25 Torx drive most likely this is a BMW screw specification and no others seem to handle it - I have tried all the nut and bolt houses no luck . . .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts