BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I'm having a hard time working my way through the tech/FAQ section here. I really don't know what my problem is but in time I'll get it. Tonight a friend is coming over to help me with a HID install, including a new fused harness and relay. I've had the side panels off twice, but never the nose cone. I remember seeing a "step by step" procedure for this but now I can't find it. Anyone have a copy of this or can direct me on how to find it here on this site? Thanks very much. Don Wehr.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
dwillie said:
For some reason I'm having a hard time working my way through the tech/FAQ section here. I really don't know what my problem is but in time I'll get it. Tonight a friend is coming over to help me with a HID install, including a new fused harness and relay. I've had the side panels off twice, but never the nose cone. I remember seeing a "step by step" procedure for this but now I can't find it. Anyone have a copy of this or can direct me on how to find it here on this site? Thanks very much. Don Wehr.
Here's a start, Don. Good luck. I didn't read the whole thang, so apologies if sumpthin' is missing. Butt, with Neblett as the author, I doubt anythang is missing!!

Click here

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a start, Don. Good luck. I didn't read the whole thang, so apologies if sumpthin' is missing. Butt, with Neblett as the author, I doubt anythang is missing!!

Thanks for the quick reply Dick. That's exactly what I remember finding on the site some time ago. Thanks again, I"m ready to get started now. d.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dick said:

Click here
Hi Dick.

I find that the link you provided about 3.5 years ago no longer works. :) Does anyone have a link that shows how to remove the nose piece on a 2001 K1200LT?

Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just don't forget the screw BEHIND the dash courtesy lamp...

DAMHIK

John

·
Premium Member
612 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Dave_D said:
Hi Dick.

I find that the link you provided about 3.5 years ago no longer works. :) Does anyone have a link that shows how to remove the nose piece on a 2001 K1200LT?

Thanks. Dave
Hi, Dave - I guess the HoW is kaput for the moment. I tried several URLs in that section of the HoW, and got the *can't find* notice. Maybe the data base is down for now, dunno. Keep trying and maybe it'll be back online sometime.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Dave_D said:
Hi Dick.

Thanks. Dave
Hi, Dave - I guess the HoW is kaput for the moment. I tried several URLs in that section of the HoW, and got the *can't find* notice. Maybe the data base is down for now, dunno. Keep trying and maybe it'll be back online sometime.

Google has a link to it also that doesn't work. Butt for some other body part removal pics and notes, click here. I'll find another avenue to bring up the nose cone removal - stay tuned.

BTW - are you wanting to just remove the nose cone part that holds the headlight, or the dash cover under the windshield?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dick said:

Google has a link to it also that doesn't work. Butt for some other body part removal pics and notes, click here. I'll find another avenue to bring up the nose cone removal - stay tuned.

BTW - are you wanting to just remove the nose cone part that holds the headlight, or the dash cover under the windshield?
I actually have a leaking brakeline hose under the handlebars somewhere and want to get at it. I'm not sure if the rubber hose is leaking, or if it is the hose connector.

Thanks for the other link. I'll check it out.

Dave

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Dave_D said:
I actually have a leaking brakeline hose under the handlebars somewhere and want to get at it. I'm not sure if the rubber hose is leaking, or if it is the hose connector.

Dave
Hey, Dave - database fixed. That link works now. Click here to get right to it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Dave_D said:

Dave
Are you sure it's brake fluid and not a fork seal leak? If you loos just a little brake fluid your ABS warning light should come on. I have a similar leak and am sure it's from the front fork seals.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
sorchilla said:
Are you sure it's brake fluid and not a fork seal leak? If you loos just a little brake fluid your ABS warning light should come on. I have a similar leak and am sure it's from the front fork seals.
I had a similar leak I thought was the line at the caliper and it was the upper line at the junction. But the nose didn't have to be removed, *just* the tupperware around the fuel tank and the handlebar cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking for tips on removing the top dash cover. I have the windshield off and have removed 4 visible screws around the edges under the windshield and it comes off about an inch, then is held back by something I can't figure it out. I don't want to force anything. What is holding it back and how do I release it?

The windshield brackets popped out of the plastic holders and I need to get at the holders and slide the shafts back through the plastic attachments.

Just the upper attachments on both side popped out, looks slightly damaged, but if I can get at the attachments it looks like i can reinsert the shafts and spring into the brackets, then install the 'C' clips.

I just bought the bike and it came like this. This was one of the detractors that got me a great deal.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help and advice you may have?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Mustang130 said:
Looking for tips on removing the top dash cover. I have the windshield off and have removed 4 visible screws around the edges under the windshield and it comes off about an inch, then is held back by something I can't figure it out. I don't want to force anything. What is holding it back and how do I release it?

The windshield brackets popped out of the plastic holders and I need to get at the holders and slide the shafts back through the plastic attachments.

Just the upper attachments on both side popped out, looks slightly damaged, but if I can get at the attachments it looks like i can reinsert the shafts and spring into the brackets, then install the 'C' clips.

I just bought the bike and it came like this. This was one of the detractors that got me a great deal.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help and advice you may have?
There is a fastener behind the dash light. Pry the light out from the end on the left.

If you're going to do work yourself on the LT I'd suggest getting a Clymer Shop Manual. It does a real good job of walking you through most repairs. It'll save you a lot of $$$$$'s.
Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the great tip Vern!

I'll let you know if that works, and I will grab the manual.

Sure appreciate the response and the time.

John

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Hey John,
You're very welcome. I just hope it helped.

You'll find this forum the best on the net. Lots of good helpfull guys/gals here.

I found this site shortly after I bought my LT 4 years ago and really glad I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, the tip proved totally right on!

Slid the shafts back ino the slots and reclipped, windshield works like a champ!

Thanks again for the advice!

John

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Mustang130 said:
Yes, the tip proved totally right on!

Slid the shafts back ino the slots and reclipped, windshield works like a champ!

Thanks again for the advice!

John

Great John,

Now the hard part comes..............................just TRY and keep the grin off of your face as you roll up the miles on your LT. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts