BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed them? Is it a finished surface under there?

Mine are dry-rotted, and I'm not crazy about the way they look anyway, If the answer to above is no,...I'll let ya know when I do remove mine.. :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
You have to remove the side Tupperware, then it is a matter of a half-dozen screws. After that you will have holes and dimples where those screws attach but it is painted under there. I would recommend that you take them off and get some marine grade vinyl and recover them, doesn't look that hard. Maybe you could pick a different color that you would like better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On my bike one of them came unglued. I pulled it off and tried to spray glue in it and reseal it. It worked good for a while but came loose again. The best solution was to find one online and replace it. Now it looks like new.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MartyBlok said:
On my bike one of them came unglued. I pulled it off and tried to spray glue in it and reseal it. It worked good for a while but came loose again. The best solution was to find one online and replace it. Now it looks like new.
Well..the thing is, I just don't care for them period, so I'm going to do something with the panel under them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have an extra set if you want a set to play around with.

I was thinking of doing something crazy with the extra set but never got around to it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now your chance to make some heat ducts for cold weather!

But wait, You live in Florida :rolleyes:

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you can paint the panels you might try peeling off the padding, if the finished surface is level with the surrounding panel you could float it out with some flexible filler and paint the whole panel.

Otherwise you could just simply cover it with either some carbon fiber or chrome vinyl vehicle wrap. 3M makes a product that I have been thinking about trying to 'chrome' a couple parts on my bike where the chrome looks a little rough. It does not stretch so I have not tried it yet, but I don't think there are any compound curves on those kneepads.

Whatever you do make sure you post pics of the process and result, I like the pads' appearance because I think they break up the bike, but I am always looking for customization ideas. And I don't know about anyone else, but they are completely useless for me since my knees never actually contact them when I am riding, my knees are always aft and above them so if it looks good I wouldn't hesitate to lose mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I pulled the plastic off & then took off the pads. You guys were right it [is] a finished panel under there , but would look uber-ugly without something over that area. So, for now I cleaned up the pads with vinyl treatment. If I think of "something"? to put in their place I'll post it here. This thing was badly neglected, but is cleaning up nicely, Sorta-glad...winter is coming, never get it roadworthy in time for good weather yet this year. So I have all winter to git'r-done....

·
Registered
795 Posts
From what I have seen I do not think it would be a significant effort to recover them with new vinyl, a few bucks at the fabric store for some spray adhesive and then just staple it in, that might be a holdover while you think of something better

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I re-glued the edges where they were coming loose, and did about three treatments with the vinyl cleaner and they look fine for now. I just don't like them ,in general. Wish BMW would have made them optional. Or just glued them on. It would be a-bunch easier to remove them & clean up under them........but they didn't.

I'm even thinking about, filling in the holes, and re-finish the panels. Yeah some extra work,.. but exact paint match is likely the biggest hurtle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ron02LT said:
Actually, I re-glued the edges where they were coming loose, and did about three treatments with the vinyl cleaner and they look fine for now. I just don't like them ,in general. Wish BMW would have made them optional. Or just glued them on. It would be a-bunch easier to remove them & clean up under them........but they didn't.

I'm even thinking about, filling in the holes, and re-finish the panels. Yeah some extra work,.. but exact paint match is likely the biggest hurtle.
I would like to see someone cover them in some kind of exotic animal print vinyl of some sort- zebra, tiger, ostrich. Can't believe it hasn't been done yet- THAT would make your bike custom!

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Ron02LT said:

Or go to a place that does spray in bed liners for pickups. Might not look too bad and would certainly stand up to most anything you could throw at it!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I recovered mine with perforated Alcantara (Ultrasuede)

If you attempt to do this with vinyl make sure you use a lightweight (ie: cheap) product. It will be MUCH easier to get it to conform to the complex curve and wrap around the ends. Heavy weight vinyl (high quality marine) will be a bear to work with here.

Clean the panel of the old glue until it is perfectly smooth - I successfully sanded it with a rotary sanding disc and air sander. Use 3M Super 90 spray and spray both surfaces LIGHTLY. This is one of the best examples I can think of where less is more. You want a piece of fabric that is at least 6" larger than the panel around the perimeter. Starting at the center and with a helper to keep the rest of the fabric from touching - smooth it out toward the edges. Try not to stretch it. Don't even think of trying to do this without help or you'll make a mess of it since the moment it touches it is permanently glued. A small roller is VERY helpful here to avoid air bubbles and provide a nice, even application. Once you have done the front then move to the back, and spray a 1" wide MASKED strip around the perimeter. Pull the vinyl around the edges then tack it down with equal bulges. Remove the bulges by slitting them in a V - shape with a razor blade, then smooth out the remaining fabric and hold pressure on each remaining "tab" for 5 seconds. You're done. ...and it only took you a couple of hours. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I recovered mine with perforated Alcantara (Ultrasuede)

If you attempt to do this with vinyl make sure you use a lightweight (ie: cheap) product. It will be MUCH easier to get it to conform to the complex curve and wrap around the ends. Heavy weight vinyl (high quality marine) will be a bear to work with here.

Clean the panel of the old glue until it is perfectly smooth - I successfully sanded it with a rotary sanding disc and air sander. Use 3M Super 90 spray and spray both surfaces LIGHTLY. This is one of the best examples I can think of where less is more. You want a piece of fabric that is at least 6" larger than the panel around the perimeter. Starting at the center and with a helper to keep the rest of the fabric from touching - smooth it out toward the edges. Try not to stretch it. Don't even think of trying to do this without help or you'll make a mess of it since the moment it touches it is permanently glued. A small roller is VERY helpful here to avoid air bubbles and provide a nice, even application. Once you have done the front then move to the back, and spray a 1" wide MASKED strip around the perimeter. Pull the vinyl around the corners then tack it down with equal bulges. Remove the bulges by slitting them in a V - shape with a razor blade, then smooth out the remaining fabric and hold pressure on each remaining "tab" for 5 seconds. You're done. ...and it only took you a couple of hours. ;)
Nice..what's the hook for?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts