BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode 2,500 ims from Edmonton, ab to Fairbanks and I was about 100 miles from Fairbanks when I heard a whining sound appear from the rear end. It got louder and higher pitch with speed, but I made it into town. The dealer here is across the street from the hotel I'm in and they looked at it and say the rear bearing has had it, as well as the shaft seal and the two bearings inside. The two shaft bearings are on order and will be here in two days. I also needed a new front tire even though I put on new BT020's last year and the rear is fine.
I was thinking about doing a preventive replacement of the bearing before the trip, but many told me not to and leave it alone if it is ok.
I recommend either replacing it before a long trip, especially if yours has more miles on it ( mine has 55, 000k), or bring along all the parts or make sure the shops where you are going have everything in stock before you set out just in case!

2001 LT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there,

I just returned from Prudhoe Bay, but riding my GS rather than LT. I also had to visit the dealership, and I bet you're staying at the F-Motel (brown paint) which faces the dealer.

Anyway, the only issue I had was the cost! Any repair will be at least double what you'd pay in Alberta. I would do the minimum.

Have fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, the prices are about the same as home, since the dollar is at parity anyway. As long as they install it corrrectly, I will be happy.

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
All part of "the adventure" they say ...... Glad you're having a safe ride and I expect you've seen some amazing things.
Once your rolling again it will take about five minutes in the wind and it'll all be behind you.
Enjoy the rest of your trip ... and Happy Canada Day !
Keir

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I just got back from Alaska. Your choices for parts are either Argyll in Edmonton, the dealership in Anchorage or you could call the new Dealership in Kelowna, B.C. I talked to a guy with an 1150 GS who had an electrical problem just outside of Fairbanks. The repair would cost about 1/2 even with the exchange in Anchorage vs Edmonton.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually deal with argyll, but not anymore. they don't do very good work. The outpost here in fairbanks has been very good so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts