BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing for another rider, 58,000 miles, enroute from Illinois to the Stampede in Calgary, cruising 85 MPH with Uni-go and wife, felt a rumble in mid-North Dakota. At first he thought is was a flat tire, then about 5 seconds tach went to 7000 and no forward motion.

The bike was in gear but no motion at all. Small amount of fluid on the housing, nothing on the ground. Fortunately, we had BMW Anonymous copy with us, found a wonderful helper 80 miles away in Minot who drove out and picked us up with his trailer, lent us his car for the night and is now holding the bike while we await pickup from motorcycleshippers.com

In the meantime, we doubled up on the remaining bikes and continued on to Calgary where we are now. Can you guys suggest what failure occurred while I'm waiting for the bike to get back to southern Illinois?

And, many thanks to DaveS in Minot for his assistance, driving 160 miles to pick us up and not taking a dollar for his time. Without him, I would be in trouble.

Paul for Buzz Mares 2000 LT

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
SWAG from here says:

Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure and contamination of the clutch with fluid. New clutch, repair the slave - drill a weep hole.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I vote for a driveshaft failure. Clutch would not fail completely like this.
Could also be clutch splines but I doubt it.

Have fun in Calgary. It is a great place.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts