BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what I have here, on an '09 K1200LT? It's obviously a GPS mount, but I need to know what my options are for mounting a GPS there, and what other parts, cables, etc., I need to put it into use. I looked through the BMW master catalog last night and I'm still confused.

Another plastic piece - painted to match the stingray - came with the bike. It appears to slide over the mount shown in the photo.

Will my Zumo 550 work with this?
Do I have to get a BMW-branded GPS in order to have FULL functionality with the Voice 2 intercom?
What other things do I need to know about this...?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
The two cables are identical to the setup I have for the BMW Nav III. The mount is a little different shape to mine but the 4 screw holes line up to the Nav III holes, so I'm betting on a bike that new Nav III. I have a Zumo 660 on my other bike and the connector is not like that so I'm not thinking it's a Nav IV setup.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would have to bet that wiring harness is for a Nav III GPS. If you hooked up a Nav III it would come through your voice II comm system. The black portion of the mount has two small slots on each side for a total of four. These slots are for four small nuts that slide into the black portion of the mount. Then you would slide the painted portion of the mount over the black mount. The NavIII came with a cradle with push buttons on the cradle, this cradle then screws into the four holes/nuts, then the GPS device clips into the cradle.

As far as the Zumo you would have to replace the wiring harness that’s on you 09 LT with one for the Zumo…

Hope this helps…

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. I get what you're saying.

I tried installing my Zumo 550 on the factory mount but it doesn't fit. The 550 mount is vertical and there isn't enough clearance between it and the stingray, so it has to be one of the newer GPSs - the Garmin 660 or 665, or the 660-equivalent Navigator IV. These units have a horizontal mount I think.

Also (looking at the first photo) you'll see there are TWO cables. One of these is power for the GPS; what is the other cable for?

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rowie said:
The two cables are identical to the setup I have for the BMW Nav III. The mount is a little different shape to mine but the 4 screw holes line up to the Nav III holes, so I'm betting on a bike that new Nav III. I have a Zumo 660 on my other bike and the connector is not like that so I'm not thinking it's a Nav IV setup.
I'll bet the Navigator IV's connectors do match what I have. I'm trying to get a look at one somewhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
hschisler said:
Thanks for the comments so far. I get what you're saying.

I tried installing my Zumo 550 on the factory mount but it doesn't fit. The 550 mount is vertical and there isn't enough clearance between it and the stingray, so it has to be one of the newer GPSs - the Garmin 660 or 665, or the 660-equivalent Navigator IV. These units have a horizontal mount I think.

Also (looking at the first photo) you'll see there are TWO cables. One of these is power for the GPS; what is the other cable for?
You are correct Howard, they are for the 'newer' gps units. The other cable is for audio so you can get your stereo output like xm radio out, mp3 audio out from the multi feature GPS to your intercom.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you do with the other cable - the one other than the GPS power cable? What products/cables do you need to make it work? It's the odd-shaped cable in these photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this image on Goggle. It shows the mount on my LT and a Zumo 550, so it can be done. Now I have to understand how he got the 550 cradle to work.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Howard, in regards to your cables, the round one goes to the cradle side of the Nav III which makes the buttons on the left side of the cradle work. The other one slides into the back of the GPS.
I would love to see the mount/setup for the zumo in the picture you posted.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also found this photo, which I took at CCR 2006. It shows the two cables:

1. The cable with the round connector is coming into the back of the cradle, directly behind the BMW-custom 4 buttons.
2. The cable with the odd-shaped connector is on the right side of the cradle. What does this cable do?

Is what I have called the "BMW GPS prep" kit?

And if what I have works only for the Nav III (BMW's version of the StreetPilot), I don't want that. First choice is to use my existing Zumo 550. Second choice is to get the Nav IV (BMW's version of the Zumo 660).

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Howard, I am not sure if what you have will fit with a Nav IV, it would most certainly fit the Nav III. But since you said you don't want the Nav III you will have to hope someone with the Nav IV responds to you question regarding the wire harness you presently have fitting the Nav IV.

You might be looking at removing the harness and installing a new one to fit what ever GPS you finally decide on putting on the LT.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
hschisler said:
What do you do with the other cable - the one other than the GPS power cable? What products/cables do you need to make it work? It's the odd-shaped cable in these photos.
Let's see if I can help.
I am going to label your pictures 1 & 2 so we have some clarity as we speak. I also have '09/'10 black LT and at dealer looked exactly like yours #2 with two cable wire tied in plastic bag. And the piece/cover (the same color as the stingray) was also still packaged in side bag. I never had motorcycle Gps before so I jumped on the Nav IV which I had research. I did not do the install they did but I remember being told the Nav works with the factory installed setup. Also I have V.O.I.C.E. II
After install only one cable is protruding to right side of mount. My best guess is the 2nd cable is attached to the comm.
OK results: if your #2 is before here is what after looks like. Hope it helps.
ride safe :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Very nice Bill, looks great, I like the look. Does the voice II pickup the audio from the GPS so you can hear the GPS in your helmet???

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chipper said:
Very nice Bill, looks great, I like the look. Does the voice II pickup the audio from the GPS so you can hear the GPS in your helmet???
+1 on both comments! Nice additional info and photos, and that helps a lot. My GOAL is to get a Nav IV on this factory mount. I heard today from the dealer I bought it from that only the Nav III works, and I am hoping he is wrong.

I also have the same question as Chipper - does the audio go into the helmet, which is also another goal. If I have to mount my Zumo 550 there I'm OK with that but sound in the headset is a must...

Both cables in my current (new) setup do NOT look like what you show in your photos. I'm guessing they have to do something fancy beneath the stingray.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So far the one thing we have in common is factory/install mounts on '09 LT's.
Let me answer the facts first. Yes I hear the Gps though my head set. That was my main goal in getting the Gps and Head set both new to me on a bike. I did not need head set for CD/radio and my wife does no usually ride long distance. Back to the topic, I have a Honda van built in Gps and it mutes the sound when the GPs girl is giving info. That does not happen on the bike (wish it did) but I still hear it clearly still reading different threads to increase volume.
OK look at my 4th picture I am trying to get the bottom right side. I got to think a factory install is standard on all bike for that model/year (again my Nav IV which I am sure of is dealer installed but the mount was there already). That cable that's visible has the following - -444 -OK CHENO UEI at the end goes into a rectangular box on the GPS carriage. So I would say the one with the round fitting has to be under the stingray. I hope someone with more knowledge could set us all straight. I have no intentions of taking it loose to find out. Hope I was a little help.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bill was the wiring harness installed by a dealer????

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I am going over my GARMIN - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV. manual
It does not show but tell you a cable connects from the back of carriage to power on the bike. Similarly if being used in an auto it shows a power cable from source to the back of unit. Since the Nav iv has an independent speaker and vol controls and zoom my guess is the cable we see is definitely the power cable which means the other hidden is going to the comm. system.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Chipper said:
Bill was the wiring harness installed by a dealer????
NO not the harness. When I looked at the bike on showroom floor that was already in place and the cables were protected in a plastic baggie with a wire tie. I looked just like the picture in the original post. I even thought it was a plug n play until I was told about the comm. system. I thought I would be doing it myself. But since I bought the GPS at the same time with the bike the dealer did the install. MY main interest was it works.
ride safe. Are you distinguishing the cable with any numbers or markings?

·
Registered
494 Posts
billsmith said:
NO not the harness. When I looked at the bike on showroom floor that was already in place and the cables were protected in a plastic baggie with a wire tie. I looked just like the picture in the original post. I even thought it was a plug n play until I was told about the comm. system. I thought I would be doing it myself. But since I bought the GPS at the same time with the bike the dealer did the install. MY main interest was it works.
ride safe. Are you distinguishing the cable with any numbers or markings?
Ok, thanks for the info Bill.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
billsmith said:
..... When I looked at the bike on showroom floor that was already in place and the cables were protected in a plastic baggie with a wire tie. It looked just like the picture in the original post.....
This is very promising, for me. It tells me that I, too, can get a Nav IV on my '09 LT.

Did you pay extra to have it installed? Getting into the stingray to do those cabling changes can be very expensive.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts