BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first day of the season that I rode my bike on an extended ride, and then rode into work. Love my F800ST!! I now have it paid off, and am considering an R1200RT. I have no issues with my F800ST, it's reliable, comfortable, and certainly affordable to ride. I have done 1,000 mile days with it, and I've rode it around my town for errands; it's a great "do it all" bike.

The R1200RT looks appeal to me, but I don't know what it will do for me, other than putting me $12k in the hole. LOL. So, to the RT riders here, especially those who have rode the F800ST, what advantages do you believe the R1200RT will bring to me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Higher maintenance costs, electric windscreen, different riding position, Cruise control, Larger fuel tank, added weight. Take your picks. Two totally different rides. :bmw:

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you would like factory cruise control, an audio system that includes Bluetooth and Sirius satellite radio, plus larger side cases and much better weather protection, then the RT is a very desirable target.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my mind set on a new F 800 ST but a used '08 RT basically changed my mind. After riding the RT and getting back to demo a F 800 R I think I made the right decision. So you'll have both but I think you'll spend more time on the RT.

There is a lot to like about the 800's (I wish my wife would get one so I can ride it), but the RT is a great bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi TattooArtist,

I was in the same boat as you. I purchased a 2008 F800ST brand new in January 2009 and have loved every minute of it...all 22,000+ miles!!! My ST was my first BMW bike (after having numerous Hondas & Kawasakis over the years). Without a doubt, my ST has been the best bike I have ever owned.

With all that said, with all the riding I have done on my F800ST, I have been looking to figure out what my next bike will be and, in the process, thinking about the features/benefits that my ST doesn't offer that I am interested in. These are:
-Improved wind/weather protection (especially for those longer rides)
-Cruise control (real electronic cruise control--no Throttlemiester crap)
-More safety features

Given the above, I've been hoping that BMW will come out with an F800RT. Perhaps they will. I brought my ST into my local dealer a couple of weekends ago to get some new rubber installed. It turned out to be the most expensive set of tires I ever put on a bike. $25,000 later, after taking an extended test ride on a 2011 R1200RT, I traded in the ST on the RT! I will be picking up my RT (which is pretty much loaded with all of the options you can get) when I return from London (where I am on a business trip right now).

The RT offers me everything that I have been looking for and more. For me, the single most important selling feature from the test ride was the electrically adjustable windscreen. It is awesome to be able to bring that windscreen down with a push of a button for "around town" rides, especially when it is hot out during the summer (to get that "wind chill" effect). Then, when jumping on the freeway, up that windscreen goes! I was very impressed by the amount of wind protection that the stock windscreen offers. At 75 MPH on the freeway, I was able to hear the radio just fine with the windscreen up. No dreaded helmet buffeting. Nice and smooth!

The other RT-specific features are awesome as well. Cruise control works like a dream, linked brakes, traction control and a more complex ABS system that what my ST has are nice "peace of mind" features. The ESA II system is might impressive. I took the RT during my test ride on some fun twisty roads. Once I switched it into "Sport" mode, it handled like a dream, seemingly even better than my ST did on that same road!

There are, of course, a couple of detractors about the RT as compared with ST:
-Decreased fuel economy (You will get about 10 MPG less with the RT)
-Decreased ease of mobility when reversing in parking lots

I can't wait to start riding my RT. Let me know if you have any more questions to help you decide what to do.

Andrew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I headed by the dealer to ride the R 1200 RT on Saturday. I loved the wind protection, riding position, and onboard radio. The boxer engine made some noise which I found to be annoying, but figured I could adjust to it.

There was a lot about the RT that I liked, but a lot about the F800ST that I knew I'd miss. I brought the bike back after an hour on it and told the salesman that I'd think about it. He asked me if I was going to trade in my F800ST if I did the transaction. I said probably not. He asked if I'd look at some numbers and I said sure. He printed something off the computer and put it in front of me. My jaw dropped -- out the door, $18,252.14!! That's a R 1200 RT with the Premium Package. I couldn't believe that price. As it was explained to me, they needed to move an RT to get another bike from BMW - an RT to put into demo service. Since they didn't need to floor my ST, they were willing to do the deal for a great price.

I contemplated for a second, and pulled out my checkbook and bought myself a 2011 R 1200 RT!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
$18.3 out the door? That's an incredible price, especially with all the goodies. Heck, for that I'd say keep the 800 and ride it around town, then use the 1200 for long rides.

So now we have an idea what the dealer markups are ...

JayJay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JayJay said:
$18.3 out the door? That's an incredible price, especially with all the goodies. Heck, for that I'd say keep the 800 and ride it around town, then use the 1200 for long rides.

So now we have an idea what the dealer markups are ...

JayJay
Was told that they have "about 20% to work with" on the RT

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congratulations TA! Great price!

Andrew

·
Registered
1 Posts
TattooArtist said:
I headed by the dealer to ride the R 1200 RT on Saturday. I loved the wind protection, riding position, and onboard radio. The boxer engine made some noise which I found to be annoying, but figured I could adjust to it.

There was a lot about the RT that I liked, but a lot about the F800ST that I knew I'd miss. I brought the bike back after an hour on it and told the salesman that I'd think about it. He asked me if I was going to trade in my F800ST if I did the transaction. I said probably not. He asked if I'd look at some numbers and I said sure. He printed something off the computer and put it in front of me. My jaw dropped -- out the door, $18,252.14!! That's a R 1200 RT with the Premium Package. I couldn't believe that price. As it was explained to me, they needed to move an RT to get another bike from BMW - an RT to put into demo service. Since they didn't need to floor my ST, they were willing to do the deal for a great price.

I contemplated for a second, and pulled out my checkbook and bought myself a 2011 R 1200 RT!!

did you end up trading in anything to get that price? i'm looking to buy a new Rt this weekend or next. what's the salesman's name and number? seriously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts