BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ezCAN device is a popular way to add electrical accessories while allowing the use of existing bike controls. It's not cheap, but it does offer clean integration with the CANBUS system. I recently installed one on my RT in anticipation of adding some new accessories, so I put together a video on the short project in case anybody else in interested in the process:

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
561 Posts
I'm not new to the ezCAN, but your video was exceptionally clear on the background, rationale, and implementation of a the ezCAN.

Complements!

In my honest opinion, though the ezCAN offers definite advantages over a fuseblock, including implementation simplicity, it doesn't compensate for the costs. The main rationale you cited, i.e. that the devices attached via ezCAN can be controlled by BMW's OEM controls (primarily, the "wizzie wheel"), is irrelevant to me. I'd just as soon hit a switch on the handlebars to turn on a set of lights, as play with BMW's complex controls, while I'm riding at speed.

Again, the programmability of the ezCAN provides some great features that would be difficult to replicate with a fuse block (trying to recall, at the moment, but I think I've seen folks program lighting intensity and colors dynamically, that sort of thing), but that's not what I really need. I haven't decided on which route I'll go, i.e. thus far, everything I've added seems to be CANbus compatible (i.e. no codes yet). When that time comes, I'm leaning towards the fuse block solution. It's easy to install, time tested, and simpler for me (did I say "cheaper", too? lol, well, I should have).

· Registered
330 Posts
The ezCAN device is a popular way to add electrical accessories while allowing the use of existing bike controls. It's not cheap, but it does offer clean integration with the CANBUS system. I recently installed one on my RT in anticipation of adding some new accessories, so I put together a video on the short project in case anybody else in interested in the process:

Thanks for another great video. I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a few years and really enjoy your videos.
I also own a '13 RT and have been contemplating adding an ezCan. I like that you can choose to have it turn off the driving lights when the turn signals are activated, dim the driving lights, flash aux brake lights and strobe the driving lights when you honk the horn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts