BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... where is everyone who uses them putting their EZ Pass toll tags on the K1200LT? I would love to avoid sticking it to my windscreen but would also like it in a place where I can be sure it will be read....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
588 Posts
It may depend on the type you have. I keep mine in my jacket pocket or in the glove box. You might try going through one with an automatic gate arm to see where it will read it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
We have a hard plastic box here and I have mine mounted under the nose cone just above the headlight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
I Velcro'd mine under the glovebox lid and lift the lid when I pass under the reader.
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
I have one of the older styles. I do not use it that often, but when I do I use velcro to attach it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
bjoseph said:
Hey guys... where is everyone who uses them putting their EZ Pass toll tags on the K1200LT? I would love to avoid sticking it to my windscreen but would also like it in a place where I can be sure it will be read....
Had mine attached on the left winglet/air deflector on the LT. Ride in the right lane of toll lane puts the pass in the middle, so it is read easily. I tried the top case, but it didn't always read the tag and the fairing is NOT an option. Problem here in NY with fairing or top case attachment is, tolls with those up and down arms. Should your TAG not be read, they need to see the TAG for the number. I know TBTA and PANY/NJ have hand readers, but they usually need to SEE the tag.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
Who needs a stinkin' EZ-Pass?

I was once at an IL toll booth and pulled my I-Pass device out of my tank bag. The operator saw that and a couple days later I received a mailed warning to affix the device as described on their website. I thoroughly perused their website for instructions to affix it to a motorcycle. No instructions existed that I could find so I called customer service. A long story shortened: The operator talked to supervisor and they recommended that I not carry a device and let the camera read my license plate and look up my account (as long as it's registered as a vehicle using a device) and do a debit.
That's what I have done and have yet to receive any other warning. I also haven't been very diligent about checking their website to see if I've been charged for the tolls I've gone through without a device. Having struggled with a teenage driver in the house, I know that IL is very prompt with sending bills to plate owners that aren't registered.
Jer
 

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
jers99lt said:
I was once at an IL toll booth and pulled my I-Pass device out of my tank bag. The operator saw that and a couple days later I received a mailed warning to affix the device as described on their website. I thoroughly perused their website for instructions to affix it to a motorcycle. No instructions existed that I could find so I called customer service. A long story shortened: The operator talked to supervisor and they recommended that I not carry a device and let the camera read my license plate and look up my account (as long as it's registered as a vehicle using a device) and do a debit.
That's what I have done and have yet to receive any other warning. I also haven't been very diligent about checking their website to see if I've been charged for the tolls I've gone through without a device. Having struggled with a teenage driver in the house, I know that IL is very prompt with sending bills to plate owners that aren't registered.
Jer
Jer I too do not carry my I pass and just let them register the v-toll. We have one I-pass with three cars and one motorcycle :D

I do check the web site on a regular basis and it takes them about two months to record the tolls.
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
jers99lt said:
The operator talked to supervisor and they recommended that I not carry a device and let the camera read my license plate and look up my account (as long as it's registered as a vehicle using a device) and do a debit.
That is great for I-Pass, but I have experienced the complete opposite with ez-Pass. They will send out a violation ticket even if the vehicle is registered. At least that is happened to me a few years ago, hopefully they have changed their operations. Out of three toll booths while travelling to NJ, one did not pick up the transponder. They sent me a $20 dollar ticket. After I fought it, they dismissed the ticket but I still had to pay a administrative fee. Some system!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
When I use one I just stick it in a jacket pocket.
 

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Mike sorry to hear that, Illinois is not known for being very efficient:)

I am sure they will catch up to other sates and start charging :mad:

There is also a fair amount of talk that they may start to use the technology to give speeding tickets. That is to say that the toll plazas are fixed distance apart and if you make it from one to the next faster then the posted speed limit, they will send you a ticket.

Big Brother!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Tank bag or pocket

I use mine in the plastic map pocket of my tank bag, or on my Harley, I stick it in my jacket pocket. It works either place. I even left it in the trunk of the LT and it worked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EZ-Pass in the Northeast is terrible. If you go through and your pass doesn't get read (which has happened to me a number of times) you get a ticket for around $75 bucks. To avoid paying the fine, you have to fill out the back of the ticket and mail it in with a printout of your ez pass statement showing that the vehicle was actively on the account and that you had sufficient funds in the account to pay the toll.

It takes about 30 days to clear the ticket and then they deduct the toll amount from your account.

PITA!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
fredthead said:
Inside the tank bag works fine.
No necessarily. What I wrote in the above thread is due to the I-Pass not working from the tank bag. I pulled it out, raised it skyward, waggled it around in the air a while and then the gate went up. I'll have to be real careful going through states that don't have a lookup system.
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
bjoseph said:
EZ-Pass in the Northeast is terrible. If you go through and your pass doesn't get read (which has happened to me a number of times) you get a ticket for around $75 bucks. To avoid paying the fine, you have to fill out the back of the ticket and mail it in with a printout of your ez pass statement showing that the vehicle was actively on the account and that you had sufficient funds in the account to pay the toll.

It takes about 30 days to clear the ticket and then they deduct the toll amount from your account.

PITA!
Make sure you plate is registerd to your motorcycle easy pass or ez pass account. As stated in another post, the system reads all plates (well, 99.9%) and will auto debit your account if the license plate is on file. No mess, no fuss, no fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not in PA or NJ...

johnk12lt said:
Make sure you plate is registerd to your motorcycle easy pass or ez pass account. As stated in another post, the system reads all plates (well, 99.9%) and will auto debit your account if the license plate is on file. No mess, no fuss, no fine.
Plate on file, picture of bike & plate... $70 fine untill all of the above info is mailed in. After that.... auto debit of the toll.

For some reason they will not just auto debit the account. They always send me the violation notice with fine and I have to dispute it. :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top