BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed, but can't come up with the right word/phrase doing a search.

Those using EZ Pass, where and how do you have the transponder mounted?

Any heads up or help on choosing a method and location for mounting will be appreciated.

Prefer answers with actual experience with mounting and using the EZ Pass transponder.

Thanks

John F
Cincinnati, OH

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pass Mounting

I have mine velcroed in the trunk in the little compartment that holds the paper oil funnels and the mirror. The magnet is plenty strong enough for it to be mounted on the door and the tupperware trunk is transparent to the radio waves that trigger the transponder.

Works very well for me - perhaps too well as i use it more than I want to pay for. Oh well.

FWIW - YMMV

Ray

·
Registered
579 Posts
With heated seats, a steel luggage rack, the wife on the pillion, my EZ-Pass would not trigger from inside the trunk mirror area. Works fine on the left fixed wind wing for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have mine mounted to the winglet on the right side under the mirror. I use an additional piece of the of plastic velcro stuff available in most Radio Shack stores. It's never fallen off in the past 120k miles, with many a trip on the Cross Bronx Expressway.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Would not work for me in the trunk, and nothings more embarrassing than when it doesn't work and you back up traffic! I moved it to the fixed wing on the left side and it works great. By the way, I just read where e-z pass is now accepted in Ohio and Illinois.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...I know IL is accepting EZ PASS, but I am not sure about OH.There is no mention of OH accepting EZ PASS on either the Ohio Turnpike website or the EZ Pass Website.

I ride the PA and WV Turnpikes enough to make this a useful addition.

John F
Cincinnati, OH

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
John,
If you get one of those large "butt ugly" ones, the attached picture will show you where I have mine mounted. I do not use it that often, so it is rarely on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just put it in the front of the tank bag. Easy to take out and move to the car and can't be seen inside the bag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a K1200LT and a buddy of mine told me to put it under the rear trunk lid just below the courtesy light. I mounted it with a piece of duct tape and it has worked fine for me. No worry about it being stolen out of sight also.

Rod G

·
Registered
292 Posts
How about in the front fairing....

near the headlight housing or inside the side fairing panel?
I have to mount mine and trying to get ideas.
Thanks Gang,
Mark

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have stopped mounting mine. I have put it under the map pocket on my tank bag and it works fine that way, I have also tried putting it in the top pocket of my jacket and it works equally well there too. This has been done by me a number of times travelling between CT and VA. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get a Techmount

I got a Techmount that screwed right into a mounting hole on the right handlebar. The ""SunPass" I use is velcroed right onto the mounting plate which you can adjust to any position. If you IM me with your email address I will send you a pic if you like (when I get home...am traveling today). It makes for a very professional installation. Ride Safe, Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mounting inside trunk

If you mount it inside the trunk, put it in the same position it would be if fastened to your windshield. Mine is upright on the front of the top case using velcro. I shipped my bike accross country and was charged for all the truck tolls all the way home. So it was reading through the top case, and through the truck aluminum skin.

I did get all fees refunded, but it took two letters along with a copy of the shipping invoice from Allied Van Lines. PA turnpike was the worst!

·
Registered
272 Posts
FredR said:
I have stopped mounting mine. I have put it under the map pocket on my tank bag and it works fine that way, I have also tried putting it in the top pocket of my jacket and it works equally well there too. This has been done by me a number of times travelling between CT and VA. Just my .02 cents.
That's good to know. Although I haven't had a problem with the mounting, I was thinking of bagging or pocketing it so I didn't need to remove it when in undesirable areas.

·
Premium Member
7,818 Posts
Interesting

carl_faller said:
If you mount it inside the trunk, put it in the same position it would be if fastened to your windshield. Mine is upright on the front of the top case using velcro. I shipped my bike accross country and was charged for all the truck tolls all the way home. So it was reading through the top case, and through the truck aluminum skin.
So this brings up a related question: if shipping your bike (or if the EZ Pass is in luggage inside a car, for example), how does one PREVENT its signal from getting picked up? Do you need Superman's lead-lined box (the one he kept Kryptonite in)?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
JOHNF said:
I know this has been discussed, but can't come up with the right word/phrase doing a search.

Those using EZ Pass, where and how do you have the transponder mounted?

Any heads up or help on choosing a method and location for mounting will be appreciated.

Prefer answers with actual experience with mounting and using the EZ Pass transponder.

Thanks

John F
Cincinnati, OH
if i have my tanki bag on I put it in it, if not, I put it in the clear cover of my stingray bag, works like a charm

Tom

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
BkrK12 said:
Just put it in the front of the tank bag. Easy to take out and move to the car and can't be seen inside the bag.
I'm planning on using my motorcycle specific ezpass in the top pocket of my Chicane tank bag. I squeezed it into little one just behind the rain cover. Anyone know if this will work?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
hschisler said:
So this brings up a related question: if shipping your bike (or if the EZ Pass is in luggage inside a car, for example), how does one PREVENT its signal from getting picked up? Do you need Superman's lead-lined box (the one he kept Kryptonite in)?
That might work, but there is an easier way! E-Z Pass tags ship with a metallic mylar bag that will block the signal from the tag. Just pop the tag in the bag, fold the bag over and voila, no-reado! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts