BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting my gas tank back on my 2003 LT, and when hooking up the fuel lines I noticed a connector that doesn't seem to belong to anything. It is right there next to the fuel lines on the right side and has a brown wire and red wire going into it.

So, this belong to anything that I should have hooked up? I have checked two books and can't figure it out.

This is the same color wiring of the power outlet by our left knee and remember reading something about a right side power outlet. Is this it? A few questions:

1. Can I wire my GPS or something to this, or maybe an american power outlet?

2. Is it always on or does it turn off with the key?

3. Does it use the same fuse as the other power outlet?

If I am right, I feel like a kid that just won a prize. I know I can find something to hook to it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that is the connector for the fuel pump; it is possible that you hid the other end when you put the fuel tank back on. (don't ask how I know this...)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used this connector to install a lighter plug on the inside right hand side of the glove box. I can power up just about anything I want from that outlet (GPS, cell phone, mp3 player etc.) and can run the power cords out from the glove box into the tank bag without any problem. The only problem is getting the dealer techs to put the wires back in place after they work on it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe it is an "extra" power outlet plug. It is identical to the fuel pump connection except its wire colors are not the same. If you connect it to the fuel pump, you will hear a ticking sound. When the correct plug (same color wires as coming out of the fuel pump male plug) is in place, there is no noise, except when you turn on the bike you can hear the fuel pump operating.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Yep, hot all the time just like the outlet on the left side.
I mounted a auto cig lighter to it. I had a few items that needed a cig lighter outlet for power. IE air compressor, trebble light, GPS, cell phone charger.
I don't use the one on the left as I've never bought the high priced adapter wire BMW sells.
Just saying! :bmw:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It works. Now I have an always on american power adapter (cigarette lighter outlet) in my tank tray. Cool. I'm so proud maybe I'll take pictures and post them!

BUT after taking out CD player that has never been used, my radio doesn't work. It has power and on the display it reads "No Radio".

I really like all the room for all the things to hook up to my power outlet.

Can one not have the radio without the CD player? I guess that will be my next post if I can't find the answer somewhere else.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts