BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had the old girl tore down for the last couple of months and started to put her back together again. The problem is I don't know where one particular fastener and its nut go. I had all them taped but the tape came off this one and I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes.

It is about an M6 or so, 15mm long, #30 torx, and looks to be quite shiny compared to the other torx fasteners on the bike. The bike is an O2.

I had all the tupperware off, including both lowers and air dam, upper fairing, radio bezel, stingray, instrument cluster and the battery side cover.

I replaced both springs, added motolights, changed the filters among other things.

If anyone recognizes this I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you had the nose off look behind the map light. There is one that holds the top of the instrument cover which you almost need a mirror to see and is accessed by removing the instrument panel map light.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the ones under the tipover wings and regular tupperware. I've already got the one behind the map light in. They are #25 Torx, this is a #30. I hope I don't find out where it went the hard way, like something going seriously wrong! Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
from memory.....

Those things are in the nose (under the front turn signals) , a few places under the main fairing, and under the battery cover. To be honest, there are several places, but its a body fastener...

I know that is no help... but there is my two cents.

·
Registered
478 Posts
most of the fasteners are black . do you recall any other silver fasteners that you used.
did you have the exaust cover off. my bike dosent have the crome trim package,foot plates etc

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bobst2 said:
most of the fasteners are black . do you recall any other silver fasteners that you used.
did you have the exaust cover off. my bike dosent have the crome trim package,foot plates etc
It is the only chrome type torx that came off. You are right, the rest are black, and #25 torx M5. This is chrome...ish, #30 torx, and M6 I think.

·
Registered
607 Posts
from under the saddlebags?

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
GlennM86 said:
from under the saddlebags?
The 4 bolts (2 on each side) that fasten the panniers to the bottom of the rear subframe do have those clips on the inboard side, but the bolts themselves are black hex head. At least they were on the two LTs I've worked on ('05 and '09).

·
Registered
185 Posts
They put way too many parts on anyway. There's suppose to be extras!

I usually find where it (they) go the next time I undress her.

Anyway, "what could possibly go wrong?", it's just a small gasket leak!

·
Registered
478 Posts
you said you had the battrey box side cover off.i have never disassembled the battery box area mabey it,s stainless steel. the only reason i can think of to take the speedy clip off is if it was in the way of your work(scrapeing on your hand etc)if you rember why you removed the clip you will know where it goes.
i have never taken a clip off so far

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I have it figured out. It seems that the previous owner was missing a rubber well nut that was holding the lower fairing on and he simply replaced it with a metal slip-on nut and torx screw. I will replace it with a new well nut and all will be good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well cool. My '05 is stripped down even further than yours was and I just spent the last 30 mins looking for that screw. I only found two #30 screws on the whole bike, both on the ABS brake line bracket on the left side. One had a clip like yours but the screw was 35mm long and the other had a nut on the backside, not a clip.
Goalie said:
I think I have it figured out. It seems that the previous owner was missing a rubber well nut that was holding the lower fairing on and he simply replaced it with a metal slip-on nut and torx screw. I will replace it with a new well nut and all will be good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Actually If no others have solved this one.. as you say this is a larger torx.. Did you check the fastners that hold the stingray ( radio compartment) onto the bike.. the 2 top most are certainly that color and size on my LT..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts