BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about extended warranties for the RT?
I'm not even at 1 years ownership and already have over 21k on the bike so I'm thinking by November I'll have pretty much used up the 36k the factory warranty honors.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you have an RT loaded up with all kinds of electronic goodies (ESA, Traction Control, Blue Tooth Radio and other factory goodies) I suggest getting the extended warranty. It will pick up when you reach 36K miles. Was a good investment on my LT. It more than paid for itself and had 6 months left on it when I sold it.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
184 Posts
You have to ask yourself if it is worth it to you to play the odds (which is all insurance is anyways).

What are the odds that you will have a failure that costs more than $1,500 the extended warranty costs? Given the astronomical price of parts/labour on a BMW, that would just about cover a wobbly mirror replacement.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You gotta love the faith that Honda has on their touring bikes. My ST1300ABS came with 3 year, unlimited miles. I added 6 years with unlimited mileage for about $500 or $600. You could purchase the same thing off the Internet for $400. I had a total warranty of 9 years with unlimited mileage!

Are you listening BMW? Your touring bikes should carry more than 36,000 miles.

tsp with a 2010 RT with 32,000 miles.
My Blog

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
There's too much money in service to offer that...And may be it's too much risk on BMW's end. a $1500 repair out of warranty isn't all that uncommon. One, if it's covered under some extended warranty instead of the customer paying the repair, the dealer won't make as much money and two, the return on the insurance policy for BMW might not be worth it. I bought a 4 year extended policy for my Kawasaki Nomad for $355 online. I never needed it, but it was cheap enough not to care.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
tsperez said:
You gotta love the faith that Honda has on their touring bikes. My ST1300ABS came with 3 year, unlimited miles. I added 6 years with unlimited mileage for about $500 or $600. You could purchase the same thing off the Internet for $400. I had a total warranty of 9 years with unlimited mileage!

Are you listening BMW? Your touring bikes should carry more than 36,000 miles.

tsp with a 2010 RT with 32,000 miles.
My Blog
Since the dealer is a manufacturer's customer and not us, how does it benefit the dealer to have an unlimited mile warranty within a time frame, especially on bikes that get ridden more than the average bike. Dealers don't make as much money on warranty repairs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While the value of an extended warranty is dependent on an individuals view, the real question is which company's warranty serves the needs of a BMW rider. Nobody has indicated whose warranty they purchased and if it performs as expected. The question never came up with my dealer and I would not have purchased a warranty at the time I bought the bike. However, I will not own my RT once it is out of warranty. What company are others using and have you used it? Looking for recommendations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts