BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 k1200lt that I want to purchase an extended warranty for. There are a couple different ones out there from different companies. One BMW dealer showed me a policy that was three years and unlimited miles. The second dealer has a policy that cost about three hundred dollars more it is also for three years but only covers a total 36,000 miles from date of purchase of the policy. I want the one that covers the best.
Any help and your experiences would be really appreciated .
thanks in advance
carl

·
Registered
577 Posts
My 05 was close to the end of the 36 mi. limit of original warranty. I purchased one from RPMone through the Dealer in Eugene, OR while on a four corner trip in late 07. They offered a 5 year extension, unlimited milage, no exemptions, and no deductable. Also transferable if bike is sold or traded. I have used it twice through MAX BMW near Albany, NY and they commented these people were the nicest warranty people they had had to deal with.

I have no connection with the company. And the cost from Eugene was close to half what my neighbor paid with a couple exclusions.

www.RPMone.com

Both of my claims were for more then the cost of policy

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I purchased an extended warranty from "Interstate," I believe was the name.

It extended my factory warranty to four more years with unlimited mileage.

I had a few claims near the end of the extended warranty. It covered everything very well. To the best of my memory some of the claims were:

new stereo (left channel had quit)
new trunk bottom (latch had broken)
leaking timing cover
blown left side fork seal

The only thing that I would suggest is to make sure the vendor you choose is friendly with your BMW dealer.

In addition, I had to drop the bike off at my dealer and the Interstate adjuster would come by sometime the next week to personally check the claim.

Good luck.

·
Registered
577 Posts
For me RPMone took the word of the dealer and it was fixed the same day, both times

·
Registered
83 Posts
My dealer offered me one last August...I'm still on warranty on my '09 until October of this year. My question is "do the dealers have to honor any extended warranty I buy or just the one or two they offer?" I'd love to be able to shop the warranties but I was under the impression that I could only buy "my dealer's" offer. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Iron horse. The dealers do not have to honor anything, even the warranties they sell if they have a falling out with the vendor. However most warranties these days do direct credit card transactions with the dealers so there is no downside for them. They may have to jump though some hoops and you may have to pay a diagnostic charge.

As a side note I almost bought a warranty for my 05 just beofore the factory warranty ran out. I didnt and have had no major probelms. That warranty would have been over by now also. Like any insuarnce policy, you pay your money and take your chances. I say put the price of the wartrnaty in a seperate account, If the experation date passes before you spend the money on the LT, take a trip to vegas and have some fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts