BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My clutch slave cylinder just failed and leaked causing me to get clutch replacement. I’ve currently have an extended warranty with “Star Sport” Diamond Coverage, which I’m glad I purchased. (paid for itself with this particular event). Star Sport paid for everything except the slave cylinder. I’ve kinda disappointed that the extended warranty company would not cover this. Has anyone else had this experience and if so did your extended warranty company pay for the slave cylinder and if so any advice on how I can get my extended warranty company to pay for this part?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
When I purchased my extended warranty, it was specifically noted that it did not cover seals or consumables such as brake pads. I expect your leaky slave cylinder would be considered a seal for this discussion. Check the wording in your contract. Good luck.
:)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
When I bought it I made sure my extended warranty covered seals as a busted engine or tranny seal would take out the clutch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Warranty repair for the clutch did cover everything except the slave cylinder, just wondering if they paid for everything else why not this part?

·
Registered
58 Posts
On a 1200lt this is considered a consumable item, along with anything in contact with them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. now it all makes sense.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
In the big picture you are probably damned lucky they paid for any of it. They could have tried to weasel out by saying the clutch slave was a seal failure and therefore any consequential damages caused by its failure are excluded. That's not how it should be but that's how many of the mechanical warranties are when you look closely.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do I have to keep saying it????????

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No limit on miles (card says 999,999 miles)
Dealer who has presented two claims for more then cost of policy
No problem getting paid
No runaround dealing with claims people
Plan adds 5 years after warranty expires
And they have plans for bikes out of factory warranty

I get nothing for saying this

·
Registered
809 Posts
su_jumptd said:
The Warranty repair for the clutch did cover everything except the slave cylinder, just wondering if they paid for everything else why not this part?
Good question; they don't offer the seal as a separate part. A couple of bucks for a seal they don't offer separately (and it wouldn't take an MMI-trained mechanic to replace it) vs $135 for the end item. Hmmmm, no wonder it's "consumable."

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what was the charge of the clutch replacement Star Sport paid for, and what was the charge for the slave cylinder they didn't pay for? This one event would have cost you as much or more the the cost of the extended warranty? Thanks, dwillie.

su_jumptd said:
Hello all,
My clutch slave cylinder just failed and leaked causing me to get clutch replacement. I’ve currently have an extended warranty with “Star Sport” Diamond Coverage, which I’m glad I purchased. (paid for itself with this particular event). Star Sport paid for everything except the slave cylinder. I’ve kinda disappointed that the extended warranty company would not cover this. Has anyone else had this experience and if so did your extended warranty company pay for the slave cylinder and if so any advice on how I can get my extended warranty company to pay for this part?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
tobiwan said:

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No problem getting paid

The link posted above does not offer much help. How does one obtain coverage from this outfit?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
tobiwan said:

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No problem getting paid

I was just starting to consider the RPM ONE warranty and saw the above and went to the RPM One site and saw the folliwing exclusions.

DIAMOND COVERAGE –
Includes PLATINUM, plus the following:
We will pay You, or reimburse You, for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any Failure of all parts of Your Vehicle, except for those components and conditions listed in the
Exclusions section of this Contract.

EXCLUSIONS:
ANY PART NOT ORIGIALLY COVERED FOR THE FULL TERM OF OR SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED BY THE MANUFACTURER WARRANTY. THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

BATTERIES; AUDIO EQUIPMENT; ACCESSORIES; TIRES; CLUTCH PLATES; BENT SHIFT FORKS OR BENT VALVES (UNLESS CAUSED BY FAILURE OF A COVERED COMPONENT); STUCK VALVES DUE TO CARBON BUILD-UP, SNOWMOBILE SKIS/TRACKS/CLUTCH BELTS, CLUTCH WEIGHTS/ROLLERS/PINS/BUSHINGS, WHEELS UNDER SNOWMOBILE TRACK; HYFAX/SLIDE RAIL; MIRRORS; HOSES; COOLANT; BELTS; LUBRICANTS; BULBS; ANODES; CABLES; FUSES; FINAL DRIVE CHAINS, BELTS OR SPROCKETS; SHOCK ABSORBERS; FLUIDS (UNLESS REQUIRED TO REPAIR A FAILURE OF A COVERED PART); SEALS AND GASKETS ON NON-COVERED COMPONENTS; SEALS AND GASKETS FOR USED VEHICLES UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO REPAIR A FAILURE OF A COVERED PART OR SEALS AND GASKETS ARE SPECIFICALLY LISTED AS BEING COVERED.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Look like a lot of ambiguous exclusions that would have to be settled by a small claims expert if it came to such....

Years ago I was told that the BIG PRINT gives it to you and the small print takes it away.....

It does not look like they cover everything except their butts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
tobiwan said:

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No problem getting paid

If their extended warranty service is anything like their maintenance service agreement customer service, I would not go near them with a 10' pole.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Caveat Emptor on "pre-paid service contracts"...

I've always felt that you're better off investing in a BMW shop manual and some quality tools - yes - even if you have to buy "special tools" - rather than an extended "warranty."
(which is actually just a pre-paid service contract - not insurance or a warranty.)

Many, many of them go out of business on a regular basis or will fight you tooth and nail on even reasonable claims. The incentive for a dealership to hard sell you is phenomenal, they pocket up to 50% of the premium up front. It's by far and away the most profitable item a dealership can sell - and once the contract is signed they wipe their hands clean.

They also purposefully make the legalize in the contracts so hard to decipher it would take Alan Dershowitz to decode it.

Food for thought:

Extended warranties, how they work

continuation of article:

Extended warranties, how they work: terms and coverage

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Re: Caveat Emptor on "pre-paid service contracts"...

For the most part, I agree. BUTT - butt occasionally, there are exceptions. I think Turner would argue with us a bit, Ron. ;)

Click here for his thread. I'm way way past warranty on ole Toad, butt if'n I were in the replacement market, I'd look hard at Interstate STAR when I got near the end of the factory warranty. Plus, like you, I'd invest in the shop manual and a coupla odd tools, as I did with ole Toad. :)

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts

Dick said:
For the most part, I agree. BUTT - butt occasionally, there are exceptions. I think Turner would argue with us a bit, Ron. ;)

Click here for his thread. I'm way way past warranty on ole Toad, butt if'n I were in the replacement market, I'd look hard at Interstate STAR when I got near the end of the factory warranty. Plus, like you, I'd invest in the shop manual and a coupla odd tools, as I did with ole Toad. :)

My searching must be the pits or Star Interstate is really making it hard to be located.... I've googled um and can't get to a corporate web site for more information. Anyone have a clue as to how to get a hold of them?

Not ready for the service, just trying to FIND them.....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I agree with you Ron, I have never bought an extended warranty on anything. I always figgered that if anything major was going to fail, it would be during the initial warranty. Of course a clutch would be the exception. I am a firm believer in doing as much of my own wrenching as possible, that way I know what has been done and do not have to take somebody's word for it. On the other hand, I have a son that is very bright but can't hammer a nail in straight. He has ext. warranty on his GSA and it has paid off. He is brighter than I am and makes a lot of money :histerica ,Just sayin.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

Dick said:
Sure, there's always exceptions Dick - BUTT ya' gotta go with the research. I'm not a gamblin' man. Here's what 'ya get when you spin the roulette wheel on a totally unregulated biz:

(This may be talking about cars, but I feel pretty confident you can extrapolate the numbers for motorcycles since we're pushing $30K these days for top end models.)

"Concern about future repairs is what mainly drove people to sign up for an extended service plan, but for the most part, their worst fears did not materialize. Plans were used by 58 percent of buyers, and the average repair savings were less than what they paid for the contract. Only about a third of all respondents who bought an extended warranty actually used their plan to cover a serious problem."

(WOW - talk about margins - that's a phenomenal "business" model - no wonder so many shady characters are drawn to it)

"Another way to look at this is through the experiences of people who had vehicles four to six years old and who did not have extended warranty coverage. Analysis from our extensive reliability database showed that only about 4 percent of those cars had repair costs of more than $1,700 in a one-year period, and fewer than 1 percent had $3,700 in such costs."

Looking at this another way, there's a 96% chance you'll never recover even close to the initial cost of your average warranty during a claim, and a 99% chance you'll never need it for a catastrophic repair like replacing a transmission or engine.

It's been my personal experience that my older vehicles are actually MORE reliable as time goes on since I've fixed the known issues, not to mention they are usually MUCH less expensive to repair by an average mechanic since they do not need to be taken back to a dealer with proprietary computers. Parts are much less expensive as well. BUTT, that's another topic.

My take on the whole enchilada is that this is a purely fear driven purchase, pushed hard on unsuspecting consumers. BUTT then again I've often been accused of being one taco short of a combination platter. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts