BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, if not most of us, have owned or do own other bikes than our K1200LTs. On none of my previous bikes would I ever consider paying for an extended warranty, and I suppose others here haven't either. So, I'm just wondering, why on the LT?

I'm sure folks have lots of reasons and I'm just curious as to the logic behind an extended warranty for the LT vs. why not for other bikes we own or have owned.

Keith

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cost of ABS brakes and rear drive.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Normally I don't buy extended warranties, but on the LT, with some very expensive components and modules I felt it was a good gamble. Glad I did, spent just under $800 on the service contract, they covered well over $2500 in repair costs over 4 years. Still had three years to go on the contract, but totaled the bike, so I am sure there would have been more eventually.

At least I was ready to spend the $800 up front, but the expensive repairs later would undoubtedly have come at the times I could least afford them. :D

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
For me, it was that I never kept any of my other bikes long enough to go out of warranty or the bikes I had didn't cost $20K and have complex systems. Also, this is the first motorcycle where I actually planned on riding it for an extended period -- 74,000 miles and still ticking.

I purchased a Pinnacle Extended Service Plan shortly before my BMW 3 year/36,000 mile warranty expired. I forget what it cost exactly, but I know it was less than $1000. To date, Pinnacle has:

Replaced my rear drive: $950
Replaced my ABS hydro unit: $3500
Replaced my rear main seal: $750

So for an investment (or bet) of less than $1000, I have had Pinnacle pay off on $5200 in coverage. Sounds like a good investement (or bet) to me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
eljeffe said:
For me, it was that I never kept any of my other bikes long enough to go out of warranty or the bikes I had didn't cost $20K and have complex systems. Also, this is the first motorcycle where I actually planned on riding it for an extended period -- 74,000 miles and still ticking.

I purchased a Pinnacle Extended Service Plan shortly before my BMW 3 year/36,000 mile warranty expired. I forget what it cost exactly, but I know it was less than $1000. To date, Pinnacle has:

Replaced my rear drive: $950
Replaced my ABS hydro unit: $3500
Replaced my rear main seal: $750

So for an investment (or bet) of less than $1000, I have had Pinnacle pay off on $5200 in coverage. Sounds like a good investement (or bet) to me.
Experiences like this are obviously the exception. Anyone buying an extended warranty should understand that statistically they are paying a premium over normal repair costs on average. I can't (or don't want to) accept the loss of my house so I buy insurance....any loss other than a catastropic loss...I vote to play the odds and not purchase insurance.

Heck not only are you fighting the actuarial odds but then you have to get the insurance company to agree to pay the claim. Is anyone following what the insurance companies are doing in LA after Katrina....purchased Hurricane coverage is being denied if you don't have flood insurance cause most of the claims are for water damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts